Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
I'm working on some icons for my game (Industrial Revolution!), and I want to make sure they are understandable.

I've posted them below, with the texts that would explain them on the Rulebook hidden, in case you want to try to guess them. Just to give you some context, the theme of the game are workers on a factory, and these icons refer to power ups you or your workers can win during the game.

What I'd like to know is:
- Do they represent well the text?
- Are they easy to remember once you've read the texts?
- Is there any way I could improve any of them, considering the space I have and that they will be relatively small.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1.- Company Sweepstake
Every time the dice rolls a 5 or a 6, draw a card from any deck you want. (No, you can’t roll it just because).

2.- Team Spirit
When one of your workers is removed because of a card or after a fight, he/she can reappear in an empty square next to another of your workers.

3.- Trampoline
During your turn, you can move one square, ignoring walls, a resource on the board not being carried by a worker.

4.- Motivational Speech
Any time a worker delivers a resource in your workshop, will increase his/her movement 4 extra squares this turn.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1.- Waxed Shoes
All your workers can move 1 extra square per turn.

2.- PhD in Physics
Only once per turn during their movement, each of your workers can throw the resources he/she is carrying to an adjacent square, ignoring walls.

3.- Supervisor Reprimand
Your workers move 3 extra squares per turn, but only if they start their turn in your Workshop or on the Conveyor Belts.

4.- Labour Inspection
Only during your turn, and only once each turn, you can use this module as if it was the ‘Helmet’ card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How big are these supposed to be? For included images, you can put 'medium' or 'original' after the number to make them larger:

At the size they were displaying, I thought that the legs were a gorilla facing right and I couldn't read the sides of the dice. Size will determine the amount of detail. You have too much detail for the size they showed in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the tip, I didn't knew that.
I've changed them to medium, that roughly seems to be the size they will be when printed (that is, if you are using a computer to view this post, on a mobile screen they will probably still look too small)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fires
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
At a first look, I love the art but had no idea what to make of it.

1. Dice is super easy to understand. Two cards and then the plus 1 is a little confusing to me. After reading the text, easy to understand though. Maybe just have 1 card instead?

2. Might want to rethink this one. Personally, even after reading the text, I could see myself having to rely on the text more than the picture until it's memorized. The two heads didn't connect well to me.

3. the x1 might not be necessary. Pretty good though.

4. Nice! Best one yet.

Next four...

1. Maybe a symbol that indicates *all* workers? Otherwise I can see it just being plus 1 movement open for interpretation. Kinda broad.

2. Actually yeah, I dig it.

3. At first I would think I get plus 3 movement for having both of those resources, the belt and the workshop. Other than that, good.

4. I don't know what that means but makes sense haha.

Overall, I think the art is awesome and easy to read. Not cluttered and for the most part makes sense. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireflow wrote:
At a first look, I love the art but had no idea what to make of it.

1. Dice is super easy to understand.

First sentence I agree with. Second point not so much. I think it would mean you must have both a 5 and a 6. Plus a more common icon for dice are the squares with pips not numerals. I suggest changing dice to pips and have them separated by a / to denote either not both.

I didn’t get any of the others. Must be dense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Detail is sufficiently visible at this size. Assuming you are using the same icons elsewhere, they will probably work out. Areas for improvement:

1. They don't convey spacial relationships well ('next to', 'empty space').

2. The line that indicates 'can go over walls' is barely obvious as existing, much less what it means. Possibly add a wall.

3. Use a '/' for 'or' on the dice and choice of starting locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks a lot for your feedback! It's really useful!

Fireflow wrote:

1. Dice is super easy to understand. Two cards and then the plus 1 is a little confusing to me. After reading the text, easy to understand though. Maybe just have 1 card instead?

I thought about using only a single card, but the game has 2 decks (blue and red) with different cards, so I was worried people would think you can only draw from one of them if I only used one.

Fireflow wrote:

2. Might want to rethink this one. Personally, even after reading the text, I could see myself having to rely on the text more than the picture until it's memorized. The two heads didn't connect well to me.

mlvanbie wrote:

1. They don't convey spacial relationships well ('next to', 'empty space').

Yes, that's the one I like less. But I'm not sure how to make it more obvious though. Any suggestions?

Fireflow wrote:

1. Maybe a symbol that indicates *all* workers? Otherwise I can see it just being plus 1 movement open for interpretation. Kinda broad.

Maybe I could add 2-3 worker heads to the left of the legs. Maybe that helps to represent "All"

mlvanbie wrote:

2. The line that indicates 'can go over walls' is barely obvious as existing, much less what it means. Possibly add a wall.

Yes, I wanted to add one, but those are quite cluttered, I'm not sure if they will be too hard to read if I add the wall.

mlvanbie wrote:

3. Use a '/' for 'or' on the dice and choice of starting locations.

klblush wrote:

I suggest changing dice to pips and have them separated by a / to denote either not both.

Yes, good point, that will sure make them easier to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To indicate adjacency you probably want to put a graph paper background behind the objects to match how your board looks.

On the game cards you should probably use 'they' instead of 'he/she' (it can be used in the singular for people with unknown gender).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
I'll test something like that and see if I can make it work well, as those icons also have to appear in a different background, and I think the squares on the board can look strange on the other background.

Thanks for the tip regarding the 'he/she' texts, I wasn't sure if 'they' could be used and I didn't liked with the 'he/she' version, so I'll happily change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
Quick question: I've changed "his/her" to "their", and "him/her" to "them" in this phrase below. Does it also work? It sounds strange to me, but I'm not an English native speaker.

Quote:
Put a new worker (even if you already have 6) in a pickup point on the board. Make their movement, and permanently remove them from the board when you finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodys3d wrote:
Quick question: I've changed "his/her" to "their", and "him/her" to "them" in this phrase below. Does it also work? It sounds strange to me, but I'm not an English native speaker.

Quote:
Put a new worker (even if you already have 6) in a pickup point on the board. Make their movement, and permanently remove them from the board when you finish.

This is correct, although the worker probably should be put 'on' the pickup point. The usage may seem odd because is less common than having only one possible gender or 'it' to refer to the token (while a game token may represent a figure with gender, it doesn't actually have any of its own).

I recall my Latin teacher telling us how we should use 'they' to avoid the '"he/she/it"s', slurring the words together to be scatological.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
Oh, thanks a lot. I've also found a few more 'in the pickup point' and 'in the square' after checking the cards. In Spanish and Catalan we use the same word 'en' for the English 'in', 'on' and 'at', so it's confusing for us which one to use on each case.

Here's a new version of the icons, with the background they will be in. I think they have been improved, though I couldn't do some of the changes due to the space I had available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your icon layer is partially transparent. It should be opaque. It is strange to see the cracks through the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
I was trying to make it look as it was painted on it, so there was less paint on the cracks. But yes, it might be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
I think I will leave this as the final version for now. I've done a few more tweaks, changed the '1' as they could be confused with a '/', and finished the other parts of the player mat.

Thanks a lot for your feedback so far, it has been really useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Woodys3d wrote:
I was trying to make it look as it was painted on it, so there was less paint on the cracks. But yes, it might be a bad idea.

The cracks should be fully opaque and over the icons, then. Paint can't stick to a crack, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Garcia
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, that's the first version I tried, but some of them were covering the icons too much, and it could be confusing. That's why I tried a half transparency version, but it was still probably too much.
I think it's better to show the icons as clear as possible than trying to be realistic (the general artstyle is not realistic after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.