18 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Adding Expansions but not playing with them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Hi guys and girls

Even though i just got the core game, i got a really great offer on the Dragon King and Gorm expansion that i could not say no to. So now i am in the process of adding them to my core box. However for my first campaign i want to leave out the enemies. However i want to ask, will it be bad for our experience if we for example include the innovations, disorders, fighting arts, story event from gorm expansion and so on? Or can we easily do that?

On a sidenote, i have noticed that 4 of the expansions im missing are sold out in europe on the Kingdom Death Shop (DBK being sold out completely), do they get regular restocks or what are the normal trend?

Best Regards Jonatan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they all have a banner identifying what they're coming from, you can easily decide to not use them if you draw them.

I would avoid using the Gorm settlement event though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I would avoid using the Gorm settlement event though.

DEFINITELY agree. If you aren’t playing with Gorm DO NOT use that SE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
Drakthalos wrote:
However i want to ask, will it be bad for our experience if we for example include the innovations, disorders, fighting arts, story event from gorm expansion and so on? Or can we easily do that?

As Comboteur said, don't include that settlement event. Otherwise, toss it all in.
Quote:
On a sidenote, i have noticed that 4 of the expansions im missing are sold out in europe on the Kingdom Death Shop (DBK being sold out completely), do they get regular restocks or what are the normal trend?

There's really nothing normal or trend-like about the way expansions get restocked for KDM. Poots is almost certainly looking to get more in stock, but who knows when that'll actually occur. If I were gambling man, I'd say there will probably be a restock on Black Friday, but honestly, no one knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
And the innovations? Any reason to avoid adding those to my campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you can add the cards. Some of them you can get through random draws (FA, disorders) and some only get through fighting the monster (Gorm innovations & locations). Also, the DK for example has innovations that are only to be used with the People of the Stars campaign, DON'T use these in your core campaign. Additionally, the Gorm event just won't work without the monster.

Personally I would advice against it, the core game has plenty of content for your first campaign(s). Saving them for later will keep the experience fresher when you actually get to use new fighting arts after the core ones are all familiar. Also some of them won't make as much sense to you thematically if you're not familiar with said expansion monsters.

Don't rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:

You can stick them in the deck but without fighting Gorm i’m pretty positive there is no way for them to come up at all anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Well its not so much about rushing as the hazzle of keeping stacks half seperated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
Well its not so much about rushing as the hazzle of keeping stacks half seperated

In the end it's your choice if you want to use some of them now or later. As a tip, if you decide you'll save everything for later, you can just keep all the innovations, FA, disorders etc. together with the expansion monster's cards. For the settlement events and locations, just stash them somewhere so they're not in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Drakthalos wrote:

They're fine to add, but make sure you don't add the innovations whose names are in red to a People of the Lantern game. They're intended for use in People of the Stars, and while they can technically function in PotLantern they're a bit problematic and some are game-breaking there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have the banners you can easily see if it's a core game card or not...

...and for the first game I'd recommend to skip the expansion cards.
Just for the sake of learning and experiencing the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The best thing to do is to build the common decks with all the expansion cards for convenience, but only use the ones from the expansions actually in play. Both thematically and mechanically it doesn't make much sense to play with the contents of an expansion which you are not currently using, and may lead to certain weird effects, as they said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Werfl
Germany
Hanau
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboobat wrote:
Drakthalos wrote:

They're fine to add, but make sure you don't add the innovations whose names are in red to a People of the Lantern game. They're intended for use in People of the Stars, and while they can technically function in PotLantern they're a bit problematic and some are game-breaking there.

People of the Stars and People of the Lantern speak different languages, they cant interact. (Dragon Speech is required for most if not all innovations from that expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wouldn't mix in the innovations, or use the settlement events. Just wouldn't fit with the core game. And I wouldn't want to miss out on the core experience before adding expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix them all together, for easier storage. Then use an app like Scribe to 'shuffle' the decks and randomly draw cards for settlement events, innovations, fighting arts etc. You can then find the right physical card in the stack if you need it.

Its a lot faster to search through a deck and find the right card, than it is to physically shuffle a deck of cards, especially the settlement event deck with its giant cards.

You can also specify which expansions you're playing with, so it will only draw cards that you should be using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
So to sum up, the overall consensus is that there's no consensus. Except that you should avoid Gorm Climate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cymbaline wrote:
So to sum up, the overall consensus is that there's no consensus. Except that you should avoid Gorm Climate.

Pretty much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like having everything I own in the ecosystem for the game (with the exception of Gorm Climate). In my mind once I own an expansion that creature exists in the world. Admittedly I haven't run across some of the cards people seem to think are more gamebreaking so I can't really speak to that but I really enjoy having so many possibilities of what may come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.