Hide
10 Posts

Bloodborne: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: The card-driven combat in Arena: The Contest looks better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
Sorry but I had to say it. The card-driven combat in Arena: The Contest looks better than this game. Sure this game has a unique theme and art style but so does A:TC. I’m not saying this game will be bad, but I expected more impressive gameplay than what has been shown, not just pretty miniatures. But admittedly, I do love miniatures too and this game looks to have great minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to? Your self control is lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Sorry but I had to say it. The card-driven combat in Arena: The Contest looks better than this game.

Well then don't get Bloodborne.

Case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what I see in this game, and it has the huge advantage for me of being Bloodborne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek P.
msg tools
badge
Caek please :D
mbmbmb
oduh wrote:
Had to? Your self control is lacking.

I come here to say that your microbadges are awesome.

...and you have a KDM avatar, which is an extra 20 points in my scorebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Sorry but I had to say it. The card-driven combat in Arena: The Contest looks better than this game. Sure this game has a unique theme and art style but so does A:TC. I’m not saying this game will be bad, but I expected more impressive gameplay than what has been shown, not just pretty miniatures. But admittedly, I do love miniatures too and this game looks to have great minis.

Why did you expect more impressive gameplay?

I mean if you have played Bloodborne the video game, CMON seems to have brought out many of the mechanisms in the game, which is what I had hoped they could do (not expect, but hoped).

Whereas SFG made the Dark Souls Board Game a dice-chunking Dungeon Crawl with no story elements (and I love it), CMON seems to have made a more euro-like, story/objective based game out of the system. I think this will compliment the more random Dark Souls experience quite well and makes me even more excited to get BB. I’m thinking it will be a Gloomhaven lite, which for a solo gamer is a dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dooley
United States
South Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:

Having played both, I think Bloodborne is better and feels better implemented, while retaining the core of the video game fight mechanics.

YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lanham
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:

LMAO traditional fantasy is "unique"??? pfffffff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
Grizzlylizard wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:

LMAO traditional fantasy is "unique"??? pfffffff

The art style in Arena: The Contest is definitely unique. The art style (especially on the cards, character sheets, and tokens) is some of the best ever seen on a dungeon crawl board game. Bloodborne's "gothic" style art is no more unique than traditional fantasy art. It's the actual quality of the art itself that makes the difference.

And for A:TC to have such great art is really impressive since it is most known for it's amazing mechanics revealed in the Kickstarter. Whereas, Bloodborne is basically just another CMON game with somewhat simple (but fun looking) mechanics and lots of cool miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interested in Arena until I saw the art / opponents etc. Too tired of seeing generic fantasy theme regardless of how high quality the art is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.