17 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Waiting for the rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Zanon
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi. Although i will probably never play at this game, becouse where i live no one that i know play this game, i would like to buy the rules and read them to play some scenarios in solo mode. Ok. In the web site of Multi Man Publishing, there is a starter kit AND the rule book. The official rule book. 80 €. Temporarily out of stock from about a year.
I wrote a mail at MMP, but i never had a answer. I could buy the sarter kit (in stock) and than, in a second time, buy the official rules. But i wuold'nt like to buy the starter kit, falling in love for the game, and waiting the rule book come back in stock.
Anybody from there, the states, knowing better than me the politic of MMP, can help me?
Thanx buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gudmundson
United States
Winchester
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was you I’d buy a first edition rules and 1st ed Beyond Valor. Both of which can be found pretty cheap. Also all the errata can be found online which will bring you current with 2nd ed rules. The difference between 1st and 2nd ed are pretty minor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy the Pocket rulebook, which is print on demand, but you will be missing the divider charts. With either rulebook, you will still need to purchase Beyond Valor for the system counters.

Any of the starter kits are complete with no other dependencies, though of course you are not getting the full ASL experience. I consider them fine games in their own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola Fabio,

I learned via starter kit in solo mode and would recommend that, particularly if you are learning on your own.

The next MMP reprint of the rulebook will likely incorporate all known errata, so it would be best to wait until it is released, I think.

Best, Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FabioZanon wrote:
I could buy the sarter kit (in stock) and than, in a second time, buy the official rules. But i wuold'nt like to buy the starter kit, falling in love for the game, and waiting the rule book come back in stock.
Anybody from there, the states, knowing better than me the politic of MMP, can help me?
Thanx buddies.

FWIW many people start with starter kit and enjoy it very much. (Including me - getting into ASLSK was the best wargame investment I made in years, in terms of many hours spent enjoying very many diverse scenarios, solo and with a friend.)

Especially if you're going to be soloing, SK is much easier to get into than full ASL. Meanwhile if you then decide that you want to get the full ASL rulebook etc, surely plenty of wargame stores have it if you look around, even if MMP themselves don't currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pocket Edition of the rulebook is still available. If you really want the binder version, check Amazon, ebay, and the like.

To address your other problem, might I suggest VASL and/or the Vassal module Squad Leader. (The name similarities are not coincidental.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gudmundson
United States
Winchester
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1504938

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1777878

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

I'd also highly recommend grabbing the ASLSK #1 and then seeing if it's a good fit. Plenty of folks online in VASSAL/VASL to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Honestly, even though Starter Kit 1 has only 12 pages of rules, it will take you a while to wrap your head around them and to internalize all of the phases. Try that first, play some of the scenarios solo and then decide if you'd like to step up to full ASL. It's not going anywhere -- it'll still be there waiting for you if you do. And if you decide it's not for you, you're only out 20 or 30€
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

Fabio, I too emailed MMP about the ASL rulebook in binder format but did get a response back. It's already at the printer and should be available "sometime this summer."

In the meanwhile I purchased the pocket edition of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Zanon
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks every body. Now i have some answer, and a very big question: how works vassal? I have some war games, like Paths of Glory, Fighting formations, Triumph & Tragedy, Twilight struggle.. (soft wargames) and i don't find a lot of pepole plaing them live. Everybody play euro, today. I like Euro, sure, but i like war game too. So, i'll be very happy to found pepole for play on line. Now i have to learn how vassal mode work. Thanx a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here:

http://vasl.info/intro.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to buy the pocket edition, as people have noted, it does not come with the charts. However, I believe you can acquire what appears to be the equivalent of a "pocket edition" for charts from a European manufacturer no less: https://lefranctireur.org/spip.php?article113

However, even with the pocket rules and charts, you will be missing the vehicle and gun notes. Certain vehicles and guns do have extra rules in this section but I suspect you can play without them with little loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arbn464 wrote:
Also all the errata can be found online

Not true. (So far as I know none of the 1st ed. replacement pages are available for download from anywhere.)

Quote:
which will bring you current with 2nd ed rules.

... and even if the first statement were true, this statement would still not be true. (1st ed. + all published errata = approx. 95% 2nd ed at the time 2nd ed. was published; subsequent errata to 2nd ed. just widens the gap.)

Quote:
The difference between 1st and 2nd ed are pretty minor.

Eh, true-ish.

What is true is that 1st ed. rules will be sufficient most of the time for most game situations. Even where the specific details have changed the broad flow of the game remains the same. However, many aspects of the game are all about the specifics, so you should be prepared for little surprises.

(Even buying a brand-new, off-the-shelf copy of the 2nd ed. rules doesn't get you "current with 2nd ed rules" because of subsequent errata that's been published, not all of which is currently available for download.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Kong Wargamer
msg tools
badge
http://www.hongkongwargamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
FabioZanon wrote:
Hi. Although i will probably never play at this game, becouse where i live no one that i know play this game, i would like to buy the rules and read them to play some scenarios in solo mode. Ok. In the web site of Multi Man Publishing, there is a starter kit AND the rule book. The official rule book. 80 €. Temporarily out of stock from about a year.
I wrote a mail at MMP, but i never had a answer. I could buy the sarter kit (in stock) and than, in a second time, buy the official rules. But i wuold'nt like to buy the starter kit, falling in love for the game, and waiting the rule book come back in stock.
Thanx buddies.

I don't understand the "no one to play" bit. There are HUNDREDS of people you can play up via VASL, all around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
jacksonk wrote:
FabioZanon wrote:
Thanx buddies.

I don't understand the "no one to play" bit. There are HUNDREDS of people you can play up via VASL, all around the world.
If you read a following of his posts, you will see that he wasn't aware of the existence of VASSAL.
He now is and he will indeed find myriads of opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where do you live? In Spain? Because there is a group of players here in Spain, and tournaments organized every year.
Un saludo,
Ricardo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.