Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am making a larger Drop It game. I cut and sanded 1/4 inch birch for the pieces and painted with inexpensive hobby paint. They look good, but have a rough unpleasant feel. How do I "buff" or sand them to have a smoother feel?

Thanks,

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Realigning the deflector array...
badge
7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
mbmbmb
There are various vibrating/tumbling bins used with grit materials (metal pellets, etc.) to remove rust from metal parts. I would suspect a similar process with a less abrasive granulated substance (rice?) might do the trick. A re-purposed second-hand rock polishing / tumbling kit, maybe?

Edit (add): I thought about it a second. I'd maybe even just try an old coffee can filled with dried rice. Not sure how long something like that might take, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gurc
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Maybe you can try a matte finish like this one: https://www.krylon.ca/products/matte-finish/

It provides a nice smooth layer that protects color. Otherwise, inexpensive acrylic paints tend to fade with time. At least that's my experience with minis.

Applying one or two thin layers would be enough I believe.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is that all water-based paints are going to lift the grain on wood. If you want a smooth finish you'll have sand or tumble it then put a second coat. Coating with a sealant like varnish, varathane, acrylic ect will help as well as protect the paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked at a cabinet shop we would apply 2 layers of paint/stain and sand between each of them... and then 5-10 coats of clear varnish (very thin coats- we used an air sprayer) and lightly sand each one before applying the next. Be sure everything is all the way dry prior to sanding and remove all trace of sanding dust before the next coat. Result was a really tough mirror finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
For little objects like that, I would try rubbing them together. Get an old rag/t-shirt and put some pieces of the same color then place it between your hands and make a motion like you are warming your hands on a cold morning. More pressure between your hands will rub the large flat parts, and less pressure will let the edges get burnished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
When I worked at a cabinet shop we would apply 2 layers of paint/stain and sand between each of them... and then 5-10 coats of clear varnish (very thin coats- we used an air sprayer) and lightly sand each one before applying the next. Be sure everything is all the way dry prior to sanding and remove all trace of sanding dust before the next coat. Result was a really tough mirror finish.

That's the way to do it right ... and also why a tumbler is involved when working with small parts. Factories that make wooden bits in bulk sand, paint, and clearcoat them by tumbling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:

+1
Also sand to P400 grit, then wet down the pieces, air dry and sand at P400 again will remove most of the problematic raised grain. Damping down and ironing also helps, but ironing such small pieces will be problematic.

I am wary of tumbling. It is likely to round off the edges and especially the corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I can’t see getting a tumbler. But trying rubbing the pieces together, seems like an easy place to start, then I’ll move to sanding and clear-coating.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
For little objects like that, I would try rubbing them together. Get an old rag/t-shirt and put some pieces of the same color then place it between your hands and make a motion like you are warming your hands on a cold morning. More pressure between your hands will rub the large flat parts, and less pressure will let the edges get burnished.

This worked great! Just rubbing two pieces together as you described did the trick. The roughness of the pieces gently smoothed things with much less loss of paint than fine 220 grit sandpaper.

Thanks much middletonner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
wyldeoak wrote:
middletonner wrote:

This worked great! Just rubbing two pieces together as you described did the trick. The roughness of the pieces gently smoothed things with much less loss of paint than fine 220 grit sandpaper.

Thanks much middletonner.

Awesome!

Wood on wood finishing is a handy trick to have in the toolbox for odd shaped pieces. I first learned it when being taught how to lathe, but there are plenty of times where it is just what is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.