Subject: BGG GeekMarket etiquette question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Wong
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I probably should've looked into this before sending my sale request, but is there a community norm for mailing and communicating when using GeekMarket?

Last week I sent funds through PayPal after a seller confirmed a purchase, and I haven't heard anything since despite trying to contact via BGG a couple times. Is this pretty normal when buying/selling on the marketplace? The seller's rating is pretty good (and mine is 0, having last used the marketplace in 2011).

I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks starting May 4th and the USPS shipping estimate is two days, so it's pretty important that the seller either ships in the next couple days or holds the game until I get back. It didn't occur to me that shipment might take more than a couple days after payment - I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this. Any advice for getting the seller's attention (preferably without filing a formal dispute)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
This isn't my dog.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the seller has good feedback, you really probably don't need to worry about getting it in general. Some sellers are very communicative and check BGG every hour, some never respond and then all of a sudden the game appears on your front porch.

In terms of the timing for your vacation, that's harder. I'd say, send a message asking them to delay sending, and if you don't hear back, maybe ask a neighbor to keep an eye out? I think you might be able to get the postal service to hold your mail as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you sent them a BGG message. I try to ship within 1-3 days and message my buyers if it will be longer than that. I've had some people sit on things for 10 days before sending.

Send them an e-mail to the address they gave you to paypal. I would say you need it to arrive before May 3rd rather than have them hold for a couple more weeks if they're that slow responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a tough one. Probably your game is in the mail, but the lack of response is definitely alarming and annoying. I’d keep trying to contact him, but if it doesn’t arrive when you need it to, I think it’s appropriate to initiate a case with PayPal. Even though you don’t want to, that’ll get their attention. If it isn’t there in 10 days, it’s not comingz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evandwong wrote:
I probably should've looked into this before sending my sale request, but is there a community norm for mailing and communicating when using GeekMarket?

Last week I sent funds through PayPal after a seller confirmed a purchase, and I haven't heard anything since despite trying to contact via BGG a couple times. Is this pretty normal when buying/selling on the marketplace? The seller's rating is pretty good (and mine is 0, having last used the marketplace in 2011).

I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks starting May 4th and the USPS shipping estimate is two days, so it's pretty important that the seller either ships in the next couple days or holds the game until I get back. It didn't occur to me that shipment might take more than a couple days after payment - I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this. Any advice for getting the seller's attention (preferably without filing a formal dispute)?

Although it may be kinda worrying, don't let it IF you are buying from someone with good feedback. The market isn't a retail store, more like asking a friend to buy something. They may make it seem like a retail transaction or they may not. Just relax. Remember you have PayPal protection, if you paid via Goods/Services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
That’s a tough one. Probably your game is in the mail, but the lack of response is definitely alarming and annoying. I’d keep trying to contact him, but if it doesn’t arrive when you need it to, I think it’s appropriate to initiate a case with PayPal. Even though you don’t want to, that’ll get their attention. If it isn’t there in 10 days, it’s not comingz

Creating unnecessary PayPal cases to "get their attention" will get you "unnecessarily blocked from every buying again" - from that seller and others via word of mouth.

It's a toy, not an essential organ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
If you hold your mail with the USPS they will hold your packages, too.

You could also try contacting the seller at the Paypal email address where you sent your payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Corns
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What do you want to know?
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
If you hold your mail with the USPS they will hold your packages, too.

I agree, this could be a very viable course of action. USPS Hold Mail Service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Try sending an email to the address on their paypal account. Not everyone checks BGG every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
Try sending an email to the address on their paypal account. Not everyone checks BGG every day.

I'm still amazed how few people have set up geekmail to forward to their email, you'd think it'd be standard for people who use the geekmarket lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
evandwong wrote:
Any advice for getting the seller's attention (preferably without filing a formal dispute)?

Formal dispute? WTF?? You have obviously lost your sensibilities in this panic-stricken state. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
evandwong wrote:
Any advice for getting the seller's attention (preferably without filing a formal dispute)?

Formal dispute? WTF?? You have obviously lost your sensibilities in this panic-stricken state. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

It's his first purchase and he's getting advice or an idea what to expect. And not taking that action yet. I'd be annoyed too if I didn't receive a reply after a week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:
Jasonbartfast wrote:

I'm still amazed how few people have set up geekmail to forward to their email, you'd think it'd be standard for people who use the geekmarket lol.

Funny you bring it up, I just set mine to do just that after 5 1/2 years on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
evandwong wrote:

If it's in the PayPal dispute window (two weeks after payment I think), he has every reason to file a dispute.

Had an auction purchase a couple years ago... The other guy didn't respond to messages after no communication for a week, and I started getting mail from other users who got other items. I definitely filed right at that two week mark... then I got a mail from the guy asking me to drop the dispute so he could use his PayPal to mail the stuff, that he'd send the game "right away". After another week, he finally did. But I didn't drop the case until it was in my hands and looked okay. Sometimes you just need to make it painful. Two weeks is NOT an acceptable hold time unless there's prearranged stuff going on, or they're in contact and you're cool with it. PayPal requires a tracking number to side with a seller, and some extra layers of protection for bigger purchases (insured, signature confirmation at 400 and 700 respectively). Stops a lot of shenanigans.

If they had a sudden massive heart attack or something, that's definitely unfortunate, but no reason to just let your money sit around some other user's account until full recovery. Even if they come at you with undisclosed medical problems preventing them from getting to the post office, always keep the dispute time limits in mind if you're willing to wait. There are plenty of people out there who take advantage of sympathy. I'd imagine only those guys would be the ones who get angry at your asking for a refund.

Assuming it's been less than a week, yeah, chill out, message again, tell them time is important cuz you're out of town next weekend. If longer, also message them, and put your finger on that dispute button if you're willing to just get your money back. Or do a mail hold. Whatever you feel is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Wong
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone!

As it happens, the seller got back to me pretty late last night. He's been unable to find the game in his collection and refunded my PayPal transaction. Somewhat disappointing, but not a terrible experience on the whole.

Thanks especially to those who suggested USPS Hold Mail and other ways to contact the seller!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.