United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
What started as an idea of mine to re-vamp the Tcho tcho's Faction card AND Spellbooks has changed into something better, Sandy's new Tcho Tcho Tribes expansion.

Read details here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Tank
United States
California
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Barrage podcast!
badge
Check out the Board Game Barrage podcast!
mbmbmbmb
Hi Arthur,

I'd like to understand how this helps with the general perception that the Tcho Tcho are the strongest faction in the game.

By preserving everything the Tcho Tcho already can do, BUT GIVING THEM NEW Tribes/Spellbooks that other players will be surprised by, it feels like what you have done is actually buffed Tcho Tcho.

Now, you have to try to guess which Tcho Tcho Tribe you are playing against.

It sounds awesome, but it seems like it should come with a nerf to Tcho Tcho base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Brunswick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
aboardgamebarrage wrote:
Hi Arthur,

I'd like to understand how this helps with the general perception that the Tcho Tcho are the strongest faction in the game.

By preserving everything the Tcho Tcho already can do, BUT GIVING THEM NEW Tribes/Spellbooks that other players will be surprised by, it feels like what you have done is actually buffed Tcho Tcho.

It sounds awesome, but it seems like it should come with a nerf to Tcho Tcho base.

While I haven't played with the new TT (after all, it was just revealed), as long as your group bans the OG tribe then I'd imagine that they should be balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mavis
msg tools
Which are the universal spell books? I assume some of these are from the base faction but without knowing which ones it’s hard to see how they will play now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnMavis wrote:
Which are the universal spell books? I assume some of these are from the base faction but without knowing which ones it’s hard to see how they will play now.
The names are in the update, the abilities are as follows.
Hierophants: Place free HPs when gaining spell books (and when you take the spell book everybody else gets a free HP)
Soulless: your captured cultists don't provide power to other players
Terror: Proto-Shoggoths either roll 1 extra combat die or the enemy rolls one less combat die per Proto-Shoggoth in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, some of these abilities look very interesting. May end up picking up Tcho Tcho now, need to think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is a cool approach to making them more fun to play. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aboardgamebarrage wrote:
Hi Arthur,

The revised Spellbooks from CW O3 for the Tcho Tcho are not OP any longer. At least, so far as Sandy says based on the official playtests.

The remaining issue with the "original" Tcho tcho (now called the Tsang Tribe) is not that they're OP, but rather that they are not very fun because they really just turtle, contrary to every other Faction which are far more interactive in their play styles. Now, two of three of the Tribes are FAR more interactive.

That said, if you and/or your group feels the Tsang are OP, then don't play with that Tribe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm just glad no one is asking for "tribes" or "sub-cults" of all the other Factions too! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are doing just that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:

I'm just glad no one is asking for "tribes" or "sub-cults" of all the other Factions too! gulp
Only because my brain hasn't quite finished the train of thought what to request:

Different acolytes and HP sculpts for the two new tribes -> add different Proto-Shoggoth and Ubbo sculpts -> Make them all in different colours -> Add tokens and cardboard to be able to play all three TT tribes simultaneously -> rules for new Ubbo minis as independent GOOs -> GitD minis for new Ubbo sculpts -> GitD min of Dire Azatoth (since he'll now be a faction GOO) -> GitD minis for all three aspects of Daemon Sultan Azatoth -> independent GOO rules for all DAemon Sultan aspects

Now the question is would you rather produce all the minis listed above or create more rules for various sub factions as you brought up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...yeah, while interesting, this doesn't really seem like much of a 'fix'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
existoid wrote:

King in Yellow: Play, King in Yellow: Ballet, King in Yellow: Interpretive Miming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I need to up my pledge amount now to get this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willian Boit Silva
United States
California
flag msg tools
existoid wrote:

I bet tribes and sub cults will be the new feature in "Final" Onslaught 2. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting idea. I like it. And your group can choose to exclude the original Tcho Tchos if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Brunswick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Hmm...yeah, while interesting, this doesn't really seem like much of a 'fix'.

I mean, you no longer have to worry about unfun/OP Tcho but the small minority who enjoy them still get to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bunny Whiskers
msg tools
Arthur, if I'm not in the Daemon Sultan KS (I have too many things for CW that I can't justify another HOOOOGE faction), but I am in the CAT KS, is there anyway for me to get the revised cards and board?

Alternatively; will this be widely available even to Asian customers after OS4?

While it will be nice to be able to get it with the Cats KS, I also don't mind getting it from your webstore so long as you deliver to Asia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't feel so much that TT were OP after the OS3 fixes, it was more that their core strategy was to turtle and do as little as possible, which was fairly easy to win with in a low aggression game. Perhaps a simple house rule that requires the TT player to say something disparaging about each of the other player's mothers before the game starts should ensure this doesn't occur. Like KiY, if you ain't fighting them, they are winning (but unlike KiY, they don't need to travel far to set up the engine - three areas, three gates, and they are set).

The key issue for us, therefore, wasn't how OP the TT faction was, but simply how utterly boring they were to play.

Something that switches TT up does sound interesting (but the fact it's designed to smokescreen "are they playing vanilla or not" doesn't quite address the "if they are playing vanilla, now we aren't as sure so may have a harder time stopping them, combined with that player is gonna have a dull game" aspect of it. But maybe our opinion about TT being dull is subjective - I know some players would like a low stress faction where they don't need to roll with the punches and snag opportunity where it appears, so for them TT can be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gentry
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Do I need to up my pledge amount now to get this?

No. I believe it said it's a $6 add-on.

Phantomwhale wrote:
Perhaps a simple house rule that requires the TT player to say something disparaging about each of the other player's mothers before the game starts should ensure this doesn't occur.

House ruled! Edit: Maybe something connecting their mother and $6 somehow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with the Tcho-Tcho in game about three times... I have never played them myself. They won twice and came damn close the third time. I never viewed them as broken or OP'd but a game changer for better or worse depending on the players.

Typically I don't offer them as an option with newer players but, this tribes idea sounds interesting. I like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Ok...a clarification needed.

So , to get the tcho tcho Tribes, I wait till I get the chance to update the Pledge Manager for Final Onslaught, right?

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:
Ok...a clarification needed.

So , to get the tcho tcho Tribes, I wait till I get the chance to update the Pledge Manager for Final Onslaught, right?

Thanks for the help.

Right !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:

Phantomwhale wrote:
Perhaps a simple house rule that requires the TT player to say something disparaging about each of the other player's mothers before the game starts should ensure this doesn't occur.

House ruled! Edit: Maybe something connecting their mother and $6 somehow...

Bought six nights and they got the seventh free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reardon
msg tools
existoid wrote:

Ohhh you sweet summer child XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.