Subject: Onirim with 7 Expansions, Try #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's finally time! Today, I played Onirim with all 7 base expansions and it was super fun.

What does that even look like set up?

The Dreamcatchers and Fail-Safe book cards are lined up on the left. At the top are the four Dark Premonitions. Below those are the 13 door cards from the Book of Steps Lost and Found. These doors have to be opened in order!! On the bottom is the guide to using discard cards, also from the Book of Steps Lost and Found. In the middle are the empty paper loops that organized the different expansion decks and the deck itself.

How big is the deck when all expansions are included? Here is the deck, with a dreamcatcher for scale. Definitely needs to be shuffled in parts.

And the result of my play? A loss -- no surprise (and, to be honest, it would have been disappointing to win right away!)! But I got pretty close, with one door to go plus a few lost dreams to catch...

How did it go with each expansion, at least in this play?

Book of Steps Lost and Found -- The discard pile got to be so big that I was able to easily manipulate the order of doors. Also, I forgot that you could use discards to deal with nightmares (oops).

Glyphs -- No clear impression yet. In this game, Glyph cards were mainly useful as extra symbols for playing 3 cards to open a door. I didn't have any Glyph cards at the end of the game, when they could have helped find doors.

Dreamcatchers -- These kept filling up! The freeings couldn't quite keep up. I was only down to three dreamcatchers, though, so it wasn't a huge problem yet. I also didn't catch all the lost dreams.

The Towers -- I normally find this expansion pretty difficult, but in this play, I got lucky and the row of towers quickly fell into place.

Happy Dreams and Dark Premonitions -- This expansion really did me in in this play! I forgot to pay attention to them at first, it's true, but it also would have been hard to avoid the bad effects given that happy dream cards didn't get drawn for a long time. This might happen again since the deck is so big. Then I lost all the happy dream cards. And then many other bad effects came along, like drawing more dark premonitions, etc. Definitely need to watch out for the dark premonitions more in future plays!

Crossroads and Dead Ends -- Well, I got a lot of dead ends and eventually I started to almost hope for a nightmare to clear them out! The crossroads cards were super helpful, though. No clear impression yet.

The Door to the Oniverse -- Not too bad... I took a few denizens. No clear impression yet.

I'm looking forward to my next play and will plan to track how it goes with each expansion again... I'm curious to find out whether some expansions will always be relatively easy (Book of Steps Lost and Found?) and some expansions will always be hard (Happy Dreams and Dark Premonitions?).

So far, I really love playing this way! I may never go back to fewer expansions. This play, I did have to look up expansion rules pretty frequently, but hopefully that will change quickly as I play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bummer Asmodee Digital doesn't plan on releasing any more expansions for their app than the three already out.

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try adding the Haunt for fun.

Also, I don't suppose you have the two promos?

I should give it a try with the 9 expansions + fanmade one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the Mirrors and will probably add that after I win a couple times with the 7... I don't have the other promo, unfortunately. What is the Haunt? I also haven't tried playing with the incubus... There's definitely more to do even after this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jy0831 wrote:
I recently got the Mirrors and will probably add that after I win a couple times with the 7... I don't have the other promo, unfortunately. What is the Haunt? I also haven't tried playing with the incubus... There's definitely more to do even after this!

The Haunt is this: "The Haunt"... homemade Boss-mode, with pictures

The other promo is less interesting than the Mirrors I think so you have the most important one IMO.

I don't know if it's because of this thread but I just played and won an all-in Nautilion game (on easy though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Haunt sounds awesome -- incubus chasing you around? I'm definitely in for that! It'll go on the list of things to try next!

I should try all-in Nautilion... I haven't been playing that one much and all-in might make it more fun. I seem to remember liking the expansions with cards the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
The other promo is less interesting than the Mirrors I think so you have the most important one IMO.

I actually like Onirim (second edition): Sphinx, Diver and Confusion Promo Cards better, because it complements the vanilla base game so well. I often play just base+sphinx for a more interesting but still quick game.

Its impact lessens the more expansions you add though, just like Glyphs.

So while I will certainly recommend trying to get it, it won't change that much for your all-in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

Its impact lessens the more expansions you add though, just like Glyphs.

This is interesting... I had so much fun playing with all the expansions I hadn't thought about how I might miss individual ones, whose effects are diluted in the full game. As mentioned above, Book of Steps Lost and Found seemed to lose its point when mixed in with so many others... so yes, I'll probably need to go back to single expansions, etc. for some!

Thanks for the opinion on the other promo! I'll look out for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jy0831 wrote:
I hadn't thought about how I might miss individual ones, whose effects are diluted in the full game.

Well, sometimes that's a good thing.

IMO Glyphs especially is way to easy by itself:
The 4th symbol means you hardly ever get stuck with nothing to play. It also means you have more opportunities to use keys for prophecies/cancelling nightmares. And if you keep 1 or 2 glyphs in your hand until the late game, you can just fish out those last doors with no risk at all.

As you already noted, these effects aren't as strong the more expansions you add, especially ones where you need to do more than just find doors.

All in all, I think the full game does a nice job at balancing things. Stuff like Dreamcatchers become more prominent, while glyphs are reduced to mere 'helper' cards that might pop up every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
Jy0831 wrote:
I hadn't thought about how I might miss individual ones, whose effects are diluted in the full game.

Well, sometimes that's a good thing.

IMO Glyphs especially is way to easy by itself:
The 4th symbol means you hardly ever get stuck with nothing to play. It also means you have more opportunities to use keys for prophecies/cancelling nightmares. And if you keep 1 or 2 glyphs in your hand until the late game, you can just fish out those last doors with no risk at all.

As you already noted, these effects aren't as strong the more expansions you add, especially ones where you need to do more than just find doors.

All in all, I think the full game does a nice job at balancing things. Stuff like Dreamcatchers become more prominent, while glyphs are reduced to mere 'helper' cards that might pop up every now and then.

And the happy dreams become almost impossible to find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that happened in my play above too! It was definitely the aspect of the game that became hardest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
And the happy dreams become almost impossible to find

Jy0831 wrote:
Yes, that happened in my play above too! It was definitely the aspect of the game that became hardest!

Kinda thematically appropriate though, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
msg tools
mbmb
Have you tried adding in the Sylvion expansions as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean when I play Sylvion (answer: yes), or is there some secret way to add them to Onirim? (That would be really neat! Though I can't see how it would work...)

Sylvion has two in-box expansions and one promo expansion, that I know of. They are each interesting in their own way, but I don't think they change the game as much as adding expansions to Onirim. One of them does introduce alternate win conditions that are kind of interesting, but I've stalled in my attempts to win using each of those alternate conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.