Subject: Planting through trees. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Potter
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I was wondering if seeds can be planted through other trees.

Could I have my large tree throw a seed over a small tree?

Could I have my medium tree throw a seed through a large tree?

The English Rulebook Version 2 states "Players can plant a Seed around one or more of their trees, using one light point per Seed. A Seed from the available area can be planted at a distance that is determined by the size of the tree from which it originates. You can plant a seed in any direction including nonlinear directions, as long as the spaces connect."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deutsche Mannschaftsmeisterschaft im Brettspiel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benfromflorida wrote:

Yes to all questions. (also the duplicate ones)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benfromflorida wrote:
The English Rulebook Version 2 states "Players can plant a Seed around one or more of their trees, using one light point per Seed. A Seed from the available area can be planted at a distance that is determined by the size of the tree from which it originates. You can plant a seed in any direction
including nonlinear directions, as long as the spaces connect."

an important moderating principle to keep in mind for all rules interpretation,

What is not stated in the rules is just as important as what is.

There are no additional limitations stated in the rules beyond the quote you have presented. By their absence you can infer that there are no limitations such as the ones in your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Potter
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
DMMiB wrote:
Benfromflorida wrote:

Yes to all questions. (also the duplicate ones)

Could you cite any evidence to support this such as a rule from the rulebook, an FAQ, or a response from the designer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Potter
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
TVis wrote:
Benfromflorida wrote:
The English Rulebook Version 2 states "Players can plant a Seed around one or more of their trees, using one light point per Seed. A Seed from the available area can be planted at a distance that is determined by the size of the tree from which it originates. You can plant a seed in any direction
including nonlinear directions, as long as the spaces connect."

an important moderating principle to keep in mind for all rules interpretation,

What is not stated in the rules is just as important as what is.

There are no additional limitations stated in the rules beyond the quote you have presented. By their absence you can infer that there are no limitations such as the ones in your question.

The rules do not say anything against planting my opponents seeds, or taking a scoring tile at the beginning of each round, or harvesting one of my opponents trees. Can I infer there are no limitations on these actions either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benfromflorida wrote:
Could you cite any evidence to support this such as a rule from the rulebook, an FAQ, or a response from the designer?

I don't know if there is an extra statement of the author or a FAQ entry on this but the text from the rulebook you quoted is everything you need.
The "Planting a seed" section contains your quote. It tells how to plant a seed. If there were any important restrictions on planting seed they have to be in that sections. Your expected extra restrictions are not mentioned here, so they do not exist.

Please do not say that rules like "I cannot plant on my opponents' board" are missing so this is allowed. This kind of action must be explicitly allowed.
In our case the action "Planting a seed on your own board" is allowed. Some restrictions are mentioned (e.g. range). Yours are not. So other trees do not influence the planting process (other than they occupy a space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Potter
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
DMMiB wrote:
Benfromflorida wrote:

I don't know if there is an extra statement of the author or a FAQ entry on this but the text from the rulebook you quoted is everything you need.
The "Planting a seed" section contains your quote. It tells how to plant a seed. If there were any important restrictions on planting seed they have to be in that sections. Your expected extra restrictions are not mentioned here, so they do not exist.

Please do not say that rules like "I cannot plant on my opponents' board" are missing so this is allowed. This kind of action must be explicitly allowed.
In our case the action "Planting a seed on your own board" is allowed. Some restrictions are mentioned (e.g. range). Yours are not. So other trees do not influence the planting process (other than they occupy a space).

Which "kinds" of actions are not allowed?

How should players know which "kinds" of actions must be "explicitly allowed"?

For example, how could I know that throwing seeds through trees is allowed, yet throwing seeds that wrap around the board is not. Is adjacency defined in the rulebook? Could the board not work as a 2-dimensional taurus? If not, how am I supposed to know that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benfromflorida wrote:
Which "kinds" of actions are not allowed?

How should players know which "kinds" of actions must be "explicitly allowed"?

For example, how could I know that throwing seeds through trees is allowed, yet throwing seeds that wrap around the board is not. Is adjacency defined in the rulebook? Could the board not work as a 2-dimensional taurus? If not, how am I supposed to know that?

Sorry I cannot help you anymore.

Sleep one night and then just use your common sense. Do not interpret too much unknown magic into the rulebook.
And be aware: It would never be possible to list all actions that are not allowed (and even if those uncountable many rules would be listed no one would ever be able to read them in finite time).

The rulebook lists all allowed actions. Additionally these actions may be restricted in some cases or some exclusions may be defined. That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benfromflorida wrote:

Could you cite any evidence to support this

Yes. In the rulebook, in the place where such a prohibition would be stated, no such prohibition is stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.