Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of the Broodmother Asymmetric Play Variant (pp. 15-16 of the MOTM rulebook), but am confused about something. I'm asking this here because questions in the MOTM subforums are going unanswered.

Under Actions, the BM can choose to either reveal a card or to pay 5 eggs to "choose an unlocked power." (I assume that means choose a power to activate. I also assume it means this is what you do during the Worker Phase, though nothing actually makes that clear.)

One of those powers is "Frenzy: Discard one additional card at the end of battle. (The cost must be paid before any battle cards are chosen)." Per the rules, this mean you get to flip another card from the single shared deck to determine your combat strength.

1. Does that apply to every battle you're going to fight in the Soldier phase? What happens if you choose this power multiple times during the Worker Phase? (I know that's unlikely, but it is possible if you hoard eggs.)

2. What "cost must be paid"? Centipedes don't pay any cost to have a battle (they're either destroyed or fine), there isn't any cost to discard cards for combat strength/ferocity, etc. I assume this isn't talking about the 5 eggs to activate Frenzy, because by definition you paid that wayyyy back in the Worker Phase and now we're in the Soldier Phase fighting. So what does the parenthetical bit mean?

[EDIT: There was a third unrelated question about VP, but only because I missed that the Broodmother follows all solo/co-op rules as well, despite the ants playing a standard game.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Important"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Broodmother will follow all standard rules from the Solo/
Co-op game, but is allowed to make placement decisions when placing hexes,
Predators, centipedes and nymphs.

Note that you also follow the solo rules.
So:
1 point for each centipede in meadow every turn.
1 each win.
1 each time a centipede enters the tunnel.
3 extra if broodmother is undefeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I didn't realize that include VP rules, just thought it meant the actions. So I'll edit away that third question, but the first two still have me scratching my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Eisner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi PK,

Glad you're interested in this variant. It's really fun. It's important to learn the Solo/Coop variant from Minions of the Meadow before playing this way, and I definitely recommend you run through that version at least once.

For your first qustion, sorry, I agree, that is terribly unclear. Frenzy may be activated before each battle (hence, the cost referred to is 5 eggs). The others are used during the Queen phase as normal.

As far as points, it is important to note that the Broodmother player follows all the rules on the "Against the Broodmother" playmat. So they will actually gain 1VP and work towards the plot threshold each time they draw an Evolution card.

The main way the Broodmother earns points is by keeping their Centipedes on the meadow during slumber, and for every two Inner Meadow hexes (the hexes closes to the great tunnel) with their nymphs. Note that, unlike ants, Nymphs only have to be in an Inner MEadow to count, they do not have to control it.

The Broodmother is not eligible for normal endgame points, but she can earn 3 points if the Broodmother has not been found or defeated.

I apologize for the confusion and I hope that clears things up!

Ben Eisner
Developer at Weird City Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that makes sense. So the rulebook basically needs an important note -- specifically, that Frenzy is the only power that you don't activate during the Worker Phase, but instead can activate it during the Soldier Phase.

(Restating this in case I misunderstood.)

As for the VP, yeah, it makes sense now -- I just misunderstood how that works. I take full blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Eisner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.