Ludovic Nieres
France
Toulouse
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have a question about execution and purge phase:

Rules say that after the three players designed by the general secretary to vote have made their choices, the General Secretary shuffles the chosen cards before unveiling them. I assume that this process (vote then shuffling cards) is done during the three attempts (if necessary). But if the purge phase is triggered, I don’t understand how the three members who must vote about the purge can then know who is the “deviant” if the vote cards are shuffled. Does it mean that actually, the purge is like a fourth vote where the deviant is determined by the number of his vote card?

Any explanation, please?

Thank you for answering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lodov wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about execution and purge phase:

Rules say that after the three players designed by the general secretary to vote have made their choices, the General Secretary shuffles the chosen cards before unveiling them. I assume that this process (vote then shuffling cards) is done during the three attempts (if necessary). But if the purge phase is triggered, I don’t understand how the three members who must vote about the purge can then know who is the “deviant” if the vote cards are shuffled. Does it mean that actually, the purge is like a fourth vote where the deviant is determined by the number of his vote card?

Any explanation, please?

Thank you for answering

Thank you for your question. The answer is that the members cannot and should not know how the others vote and thus who the deviant is, only the General Secretary does. As the General Secretary, follow those steps for the third vote:

1. Give the 1st player to your left the vote card marked 1 etc.
2. Ask the members to vote as usual by tucking the cards beneath the General Secretary card.
3. Check the result BUT DO NOT REVEAL YET how each card voted.
4. Ask the members to purge by simultaneously pointing out the suspected deviant.
5. Now reveal the vote cards to show who the true deviant was. (If card 1 deviated, the 1st player to your left was the deviant etc.)

As a member, you have to negotiate to get a unanimous vote and, if this fails, judge from the negotiations which player may be the deviant. Note that one member (Molotov Zhdanov) WANTS other members to be purged for his victory condition. Thematically, this reflects the mistrust between the politburo members.

I hope this answers your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Nieres
France
Toulouse
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answer. It’s far more clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Nieres
France
Toulouse
---
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that one member (Molotov) WANTS other members to be purged for his victory condition.

You mean Jdanov, not Molotov, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Molotov does NOT want other members to be purged. Initial answer updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.