Subject: Any advice from 1st ed backers to a new backer of 2nd ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a game I've been interested in for quite some time. Now with plenty of content available and the new expansions in this kickstarter one has to make some decisions or it will get pretty expensive. I recently found a copy of the 1st ed so now I wonder;

1. Should I get the 1st ed and go for the upgrade? I kinda like the wheel from 1st ed and the price is a little less. Maybe the 2nd ed will be different apart from the component upgrades?

2. Are there any of the three earlier adventure-expansions you would recommend in terms of heroes?

3. Are there any of the earlier expansions that have memorable adventures you would highly recommend? Ship of Stone seem to demand the other expansions which makes it quite expensive.

4. What about the extra stuff like play mats and inserts, any experience and recommendations there?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aistis Samulionis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding the expansions, I took an advice from this thread - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2116001/recommended-order-e.... I think, @Knightofthewatch sums up everything concisely. Taking a bundle of older expansions seems the best decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aistis wrote:
Regarding the expansions, I took an advice from this thread - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2116001/recommended-order-e.... I think, @Knightofthewatch sums up everything concisely. Taking a bundle of older expansions seems the best decision.

That's funny. I started that thread a while back . Maybe I was hoping for some more voices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow!
I didn't know there was a new kickstarter.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Off to have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Knightofthewatch wrote:
Holy cow!

Daniel! You gave me some solid advice last time I wrote in this forum. I never got to buy the game then, but now I'm seriously considering it. Seems they got rid of the life wheels for the 2nd ed. Not sure how I feel about that. Please let me know if your recommendations have changed since last time .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The life wheels were unnecessary in my view, and didn't work particularly well. I never use them, just use the enemy damage tokens for health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
The life wheels were unnecessary in my view, and didn't work particularly well. I never use them, just use the enemy damage tokens for health.

I really like the wheels for usability and nice art and will keep them. They worked well here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
achates wrote:

I really like the wheels for usability and nice art and will keep them. They worked well here.

Same here. I am really unhappy that new heroes won't come with wheels anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:
achates wrote:

Are the wheels reason enough to get the 1st ed core game instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Telrak wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:
achates wrote:

Are the wheels reason enough to get the 1st ed core game instead?

I don't think so as you will get no wheels with the new expansion characters. I would go for the the 2nd edition base game. If you like it than I would buy the black boar inn expansion next.

I like the game, playing only the adventure mode with friends. I had hoped for some rebalancing as it is usually very obvious which cards to play for endurance (one off cards) and which for their effect (permanent cards). Also the characters are unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:
achates wrote:

Well, maybe the German ones worked then, because the ones I had were too loose and wouldn't stick at the number selected. They are also unnecessarily big I think, but table space is often at a premium for me..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Knightofthewatch wrote:
Holy cow!

Daniel! You gave me some solid advice last time I wrote in this forum. I never got to buy the game then, but now I'm seriously considering it. Seems they got rid of the life wheels for the 2nd ed. Not sure how I feel about that. Please let me know if your recommendations have changed since last time .

Hi Belloque . Its a great game, but there are a lot of great games out there to buy. I said I wasn't going to kickstart anything new till all the ones ive backed have got here. Ive failed hehe.

Really happy that the inn of the black boar is actually happening, was thinking the game had died, though I felt I had enough content to keep playing though.

If it helps, this isnt the best game in the world. There are a few balancing issues and yes, most of the time it's easy to decide which card to discard for endurance. But wow it's a really fun game. I usually like my game Uber serious (i'm a big arkham horror lcg fan) but I find myself coming back to this and Aeons End most of time.

I dont think my suggestion has changed on order to get everything. And if money is an issue (when isnt it for most of us?) Skip arsenal of heroes for sure, love it but you dont really need it.

Order to buy (my opinion)

1.Ship of lost souls
2.Heroes Struggle
3.Forest of no Return
4.Tears of Fire
5.Arsenal of Heroes. (Only if you find you play the game a lot and haven't maxed out your credit cards on kickstarters)

6.Fate poker chips (if your mad for the game like me, they are nice and means I probably won't buy the new acrylic tokens

The new stuff looks good, though I hope they change the playmats having 5 exclusive cards for each of the characters. I dont really need that many more playmats haha.

Acrylic tokens are a luxury that I might skip. Also I use double sided Arkham Horror lcg doom tokens for endurance, flipping them over when Ive used them, and leaving my cards to the side.

DIALS!! Yeah they are nice, but i have to admit, being a solo gamer most of the time with three characters out in front of me, they are a bit big and I use a pen and paper hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aistis wrote:

Thanks Aistis, glad it helped.

Times haven't changed my favourite character Rowana! I like cats and I like Witches. Will have to at least get her playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, kickstarter is addictive .

I got Pathfinder, Lotr lcg and arkham horror lcg so this might be one too many deck builders, but I really like the theme, art and idea behind it. Thing is I wanted to at least try the core set out before I decide and now I'm considering buying a 1st ed. Not sure if that makes me miss out on anything that the upgrade won't offer.

There is a bunch of content now and getting it all would just be pointless as I don't get to play that much. But thanks for your suggestions, I might end up with the first few expansions on your list. Tears of fire just looks too awesome to miss. Decisions decisions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:

I got Pathfinder, Lotr lcg and arkham horror lcg so this might be one too many deck builders, but I really like the theme, art and idea behind it. Thing is I wanted to at least try the core set out before I decide and now I'm considering buying a 1st ed. Not sure if that makes me miss out on anything that the upgrade won't offer.

There is a bunch of content now and getting it all would just be pointless as I don't get to play that much. But thanks for your suggestions, I might end up with the first few expansions on your list. Tears of fire just looks too awesome to miss. Decisions decisions...

LOTR and Arkham LCG's you have good taste. My lOTR collection has got to stupid size. Sleeving everything in dragonshields was finacial ruin lol

Anyway, the base game will give you more than enough fun. Im not sure there is a huge difference between versions to be honest, if you can get a 1st edition cheap. Worst case scenario you could sell the dials which everyone will want and get most your money back haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be a few card updates with the second edition and some small rule tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
There seem to be a few card updates with the second edition and some small rule tweaks.

But the upgradekit would cover that it seems. I will try to get hold of the 1st ed and if it is as fun as I hope the Inn patron pledge should be all good. Thanks for helping out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aistis Samulionis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Knightofthewatch wrote:
Aistis wrote:

Thanks Aistis, glad it helped.

Times haven't changed my favourite character Rowana! I like cats and I like Witches. Will have to at least get her playmat.

Thank you! Your short review about expansions was very useful when I found Aventuria the first time. At that time the base game in English was out of stock, but now your advice will be applied in the new campaign.

I'm still undecided, if I should take a bundle or just 4 expansions (without Arsenal of Heroes). Bundle saves $5 but that expansion will probably just be placed somewhere not even unwrapped. Maybe it will be useful in years to come, I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Knightofthewatch wrote:
Belloque wrote:

LOTR and Arkham LCG's you have good taste. My lOTR collection has got to stupid size. Sleeving everything in dragonshields was finacial ruin lol

Anyway, the base game will give you more than enough fun. Im not sure there is a huge difference between versions to be honest, if you can get a 1st edition cheap. Worst case scenario you could sell the dials which everyone will want and get most your money back haha.

I did find a 1st ed base game cheap .
Any favorite core box character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage and Ranger are nice, dwarf is underwhelming. He suffers from having limited attack options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Mage and Ranger are nice, dwarf is underwhelming. He suffers from having limited attack options.

Are there tactics involved in what hero characters to combine? Say for example having a mage with a melee fighter is better than two casters and no one to stand toe to toe with the enemies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

Are there tactics involved in what hero characters to combine? Say for example having a mage with a melee fighter is better than two casters and no one to stand toe to toe with the enemies?

There is no toe to toe in this game. You can choose your target and the enemies will attack according to their card, usually either the start player, the player with the most hit points or a random player.

Therefore you can't protect another charakter by tying an enemy in melde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Belloque wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

There is no toe to toe in this game. You can choose your target and the enemies will attack according to their card, usually either the start player, the player with the most hit points or a random player.

So playing two casters is no problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik S.
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:
Belloque wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

So playing two casters is no problem?

Depends on the difficulty level but yes, you can play with two casters. A better armored character will give you more sustain of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently played my first solo duel game and after that my first two-handed solo adventure - "Saving Silvana". The game is fun! The rules feel streamlined and the decks thematic. The artwork goes from ok to great and the life wheels are a great addition to the experience. I suppose the game gets even better playing with some fellow gamers.

What bothered me was the pretty lackluster adventure (Saving Silvana). I get that it was an intro-adventure, but it felt a bit "phoned-in". How much more engaging does the adventure mode get? Are the three-act-quests more advanced? Are the adventures in the expansions with the new mechanics alot better? Or is this about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.