Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Champion
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
This is a boardgame designed by the very well known Ragnar Bros and a very good one.
It covers the historical rise and fall from being a Kingdom, through to a Republic, onto an Empire and to the final attacks on Rome itself.

The game replicates the flow history, in that the Romans are constantly by the Gauls, Hannibal and others, as they extend their Empire as far as Britannia, Germania and Mesopotania.

What I like is that each player has their own game board to build their Empire, each having varying densities of Cities and, expansions of domains. All down to the quantum of the systems incorporated in the game, which creates choice.

I like too, the multiple ways of scoring points, obtaining Glories, having Triumphs, gaining land, resources, Senators and Christian Cities. There is the fun element of having armies attacking simultaneously, players cheering and groaning together. Some needing to appeal to the gods.

There is significant interaction, needing to be the player to build the most, or recruiting the largest number of legions, then again choosing of Gods.
It is essential to know when to take points and, when to consolidate. You are unlikely to well if constantly choosing last as regards the Enemy Nations, or then again going last when playing Rome.

With experienced players the game will be reasonably well balanced throughout and, so leading to a final revelation Triumphs in an exciting finale.

Each game is variable due to five buildings of the six coming out and, in a different order. Added to which is the variability of the Roman Emperors and Enemy nations, there being two sets of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Møller-Poulsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
The Pirates of the League
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so looking foreward to this. I'm a bit on the fence with relatively new gamers playing this, but we shall see.

Also I'd like to try it solo, hope it will work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.