Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just read through the rules and I have a few questions. When two claim tokens are stacked on top of each other do both color players own the resource tile? I notice in the trade action, it costs more to be on the bottom. What advantage is there in doing this? Also, I think I’m not quite understanding the distinction in the trade action between the three options.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
plainscape wrote:
Hello,

I just read through the rules and I have a few questions. When two claim tokens are stacked on top of each other do both color players own the resource tile? I notice in the trade action, it costs more to be on the bottom. What advantage is there in doing this? Also, I think I’m not quite understanding the distinction in the trade action between the three options.

Thanks for the help.

Only the one on top "Owns" the resource. The ones underneath just have "access."

This is important because only the "Owner" gets points for using the resource. However, you'd still want to get "access" to resources because to build an Advanced Resource, you have to have access to all its prerequisites. Since for the basic resources, you can only have ownership of your own, you need to buy access to the others if you want to be able to get the more lucrative ones.

Basically, in the trade action:
- Left column is to build one of your own basic resources;
- Middle column is to buy access to another player's resource (could be a basic resource or an advanced resource).
- Right column is only used in 2- or 3-player games to "place and buy access to" a neutral resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The right column also allows you to place and gain access to another player’s resource in all games, but only after the second prestige building has been completed.

ETA: Another benefit of getting access to a resource is that you must own or have access to a resource to recruit that resource’s advisor. IIRC there are some of the achievements that count access as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
- Right column is only used in 2- or 3-player games to "place and buy access to" a neutral resource.

Nitpick: you can also use it to place and buy access to another player's basic resource at any player count, provided at least two prestige buildings have been completed. This is to prevent the scenario where a game ends up stalemated because a player who's behind refuses to add their second basic resource to the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Nitpick: you can also use it to place and buy access to another player's basic resource at any player count, provided at least two prestige buildings have been completed. This is to prevent the scenario where a game ends up stalemated because a player who's behind refuses to add their second basic resource to the board.

Ah, right. I forgot you could do that! Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I think it’s clicking in place now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.