Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary Hero Profile No 86 – Iron Man Noir rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Stark of the Noir Universe (90214) is still a rich industrialist, but rather than moonlighting as a superhero he is an adventurer. Always accompanied by his trusty sidekick James Rhodes, the duo goes Indiana Jonesing across the world. Together with Giuletta Nefaria, their most recent adventure takes them in search of the Jade Mask in hopes it will cure Stark’s deadly heart condition. It doesn’t fix it, but Nefaria breaks his heart when she betrays him revealing that she works for Baron Zemo and Baron Strucker. That’s right, Nazis. Bouncing back Stark on the rebound hires Pepper Potts. He’s still focused on fixing his heart so he and Rhodes go in search of legendary Atlantis to obtain orichalcum. They enlist the help of captain Namor and they actually find the stuff! That’s what the Trident on his Rare card is. Nazis are jerks though, so they show up and ruin Stark’s day. Stark then creates suits of armors based upon his father’s design to go and rescue Pepper from the Nazis. Squaring off against the Nazis they find themselves up against an army of suits identical to the ones they made. Turns out in easily predictable pulp fashion that Baron Zemo is Howard Stark, Tony’s father. With everybody but the reader shocked, Tony eventually shuts down all the Nazis by using the Trident. You know what though? Stark really grew a lot emotionally during these series of events. He gives up the life of an adventurer and decides that he needs to prepare against the big threats to the world. Probably more Nazis.

Remember you can subscribe to the Meta Thread to get updates when new profiles are done, or just go there for links to previous Heroes.

Let’s Investigate whether Iron Man Noir is someone you want in your HQ.

------

Iron Man Noir
Avengers

Steam-Powered Arsenal (5 copies)
Ranged
To play this, you must put another card from your hand on top of your deck.
3 Attack
Cost: 3
Flavor: "Water is the key to creation ... and destruction."
Art contains a gun

Mechanized Plate-Mail (5 copies)
Tech
Investigate for a Tech card.
2 Recruit
Cost: 4
Flavor: "The best way to test a new invention is to let HYDRA shoot it with automatic weapons."
Art contains a gun

Learn from Enemies (3 copies)
Tech
Tech: You may use the "Fight" ability of a Villain worth 1 VP in your Victory Pile.
3 Attack
Cost: 6

Adventurers Assemble! (1 copy)
Tech
Whenever you Investigate this turn, look a three cards instead of two.
Choose Recruit or Attack. Investigate for a card with that icon.
4 Attack
Cost: 7
Art contains a gun

------

Keywords

Investigate – Reveal the top two cards of your deck. If you find the card that you were looking for you may add it to your hand. Put any other cards back on top or bottom of your deck.

------

Steam-Powered Arsenal – 3 Attack for 3 Cost is quite the bargain. Having to put a card on top of your deck can be a hinderance, but sometimes a boon.

Mechanized Plate-Mail – Shame that it only hunts for Tech, but never underestimate the power of Investigate, which can still be useful even if you whiff on the card you’re looking for.

Learn From Enemies – Essentially allows you to perform the Fight effect of a Henchman again.

Adventurers Assemble! – Good Rare, but only really great if playing with multiple Noir Heroes. I guess we will be seeing other Investigate Heroes soon though?

Overall 2/3 - Good Hero, but doesn’t quite make it to the top tier. IMN’s thing is to use “Steam-Powered Arsenal” to put a Tech Hero on top of your deck and use “Mechanized Plate-Mail” to fetch it. This is similar to using Gambit’s “Stack the Deck” and “Card Shark”. We all know that Investigate is awesome, because I just told you, so that means that IMN’s usefulness will reflect on how much you like “SPA”. Yes, putting a card back on top of your deck is a penalty, but it can also work to your advantage. Aside from the aforementioned combo with “MPM”, you could also just tuck a card that you don’t need the turn away for the next turn. “Learn From Enemies” but nobody to Attack? Save it for later. Don’t need the Recruit from “MPM” Save it for later. It does kind of stink to have to put a SHIELD Weenie on top, knowing that you’ll just draw it again next turn. However, there are other cards that can discard the top of your deck so you won’t need to see that Agent until your discard shuffles. You could also just use an Investigate effect to put that card on the bottom of your deck. Then there’s the multitude of “reveal the top card of your deck…” cards. Lots of ways to make “SPA” work in your favor. Overall I’m into these commons. Really good cards.

“Learn From Enemies” is an interesting card. It essentially allows you to repeat the effect of a Henchman. “But Justin” you say, “HYDRA Kidnappers has more than 1 VP.” I guess they do, have fun grabbing all those SHIELD Officers, I’m going to KO stuff by recurring my Sentinels. This card is 3 Fight for 6 Cost, which is OK. It could be a good card depending on what’s in your Victory Pile. Most Henchman effects are quite useful, “KO a Hero”, “Draw an extra card at the end of your turn”, etc. Sometimes they’re not great, like “You get +1 Recruit”. Sometimes they can be detrimental, like when you really don’t want to Feast. Well, maybe you do because you used “SPA” to drop a SHIELD Weenie on top of your deck. Anyways, seems like the most common is “KO a Hero” which is a great effect. There’s a lot of variables involved in the card though: “Are there good Henchmen” and “Do you have one in your Victory Pile” that makes this card a little iffy sometimes, but overall I like it, and it’s just a great concept anyways.

“Adventurers Assemble!” is a solid card. It’s not a game ender like some Rare cards, but it can definitely give you some big turns. My biggest problem with “AA!” is that only 6/14 cards in IMN’s set have Investigate. If you’re playing with multiple Noir Heroes it works out amazingly, but left to his own devices you might only see it work on itself. Still not bad though if you don’t have any other Investigate cards.

Iron Man Noir, like most Tech Heroes, likes most Tech Heroes. That sentence might have made sense. Anyways, just fill the HQ full of Tech Heroes and go bananas. Investigate plays right into the usual Tech system of draw lots of cards. He’s even got the same exact Classes as normal Iron Man, so pair with him, or go for Superior Iron Man. Investigate and “SPA” can both set you up for a successful “Superior to Others”. You don’t need me to list Tech Heroes, and those guys are pretty much mix/match and go.

Both “SPA” and “MPM” are great with Heroes that focus on the top of your deck, so you can grab those. Heroes like Spider Woman, Moon Knight, Rick Jones, etc. Those are all great Heroes. If they have Tech, that’s just a great bonus, maybe check out Beast (Illuminati) while you’re at it. You can also use Heroes that take advantage of Berserk. Either to gain Attack or help cycle terrible cards off the top of your deck. Havok and Besat (X-Men) are a good way to bring the pain.

Whatever Investigate Heroes you use usually work out well, but Spider-Man Noir is only other Noir Hero with Tech.

I mentioned how these cards also work well with Feast so you can use Heroes with Feast as well. Miek and No-Name can chew through your deck, and IMN will make sure that it’s only card you want to lose. Don’t leave Phasing Out either!

Here’s a five Hero team to check out that gives a bit more than just Tech: Iron Man Noir, Superior Iron Man, Havok, Vision and Cable.

tl;dr – Great Common cards, situational Uncommon and Rare. Investigate is the bomb.

What awesome things have you all done with Investigate? What are your thoughts?

------

Poll
Which Hero would you like to see featured in the next Legendary Hero Profile?
Gladiator Hulk
Peter Parker, Homecoming
Wolverine (X-Force)
      57 answers
Poll created by jhochges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The idea of grabbing a henchman's ability is great.
The problem is, as you said, that the great majority of them are just KO-ing a hero. While that is a fantastic ability, it's just kind of makes it boring.

But that's more on the fact that we despite this game having so much content, Henchmen has always been something this game lacked.
I wish we'd get ones that would put more variety to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring the backup adversaries and 3D, here's how the henchman breakdown

KO variety: Doombot,Sentinel, Phalanx, Maggia, MODOK, Ghost Racers, Khonshu, Mandroid, Cape-Killers, Brood, Hellfire Cult, Sapien League, Shi'ar Commandos, Cytoplasm Spikes, Death's Heads, Sakaraan Hivelings
Enhanced recruit: Hand Ninja, Spider-Infected, Shi'ar Patrol
+ card next turn: Savage Land
Worthless: Thor Corps

So in most cases this is just a KO ability triggered by henchman being in the VP pile. This is useful, but it is boring? I don't know. These profiles have included a lot of cards with *fixed* KO abilities, and I don't remember anyone complaining that the KO ability is the same every time. Here we essentially have a KO uncommon that *varies* how its KO works from game to game, and it's criticized for being boring!

I don't think it's boring, I think it's a neat twist -- and with a "may" clause you only have to use the KO if you want to, some of those KO abilities can be dangerous. I think the bigger problem is that the uncommon costs six, so it's hard to get, KO is more valuable early than late. If it had less attack and cost 4 I'd like it a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like this form of Iron Man. It does more than the Base Set one and has a decent amount of versatility.

Steam Powered is good and the drawback is interesting. Most obviously, you can find ways to take advantage of that drawback, like when dealing with Feast or reclaiming a Tech card. I'd give this a four out of five.

Mechanized Plate Mail isn't quite as good as some of the other more expensive Recruit cards (Follow Big Leads comes to mind) but it's still pretty useful. I don't think it's good enough to rank in the four out of five cards, however, so it's average on both scales.

Learn from Enemies is...curious. If it gives you more chances to kill off Starting Heroes it's lovely, and as Dale pointed out you don't have to use it if you don't want to. If you can't or don't want to use the boost it's overpriced for its Attack, but that boost can be dynamite. I'll give it a four out of five.

Adventurers Assemble is good. As our original poster noted it's not a game breaker or Hand of God, but it certainly is versatile. I'm not sure how to measure that, but I think it's decent but not amazing, which suggests an average score to me.

As our OP mentioned, IMN does best with other Tech Heroes to take advantage of that recruit common and solid uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dalestephenson wrote:
Here we essentially have a KO uncommon that *varies* how its KO works from game to game, and it's criticized for being boring!

No, the criticism was on henchmen in general, not this card in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
Here we essentially have a KO uncommon that *varies* how its KO works from game to game, and it's criticized for being boring!

No, the criticism was on henchmen in general, not this card in particular.

I agree that more non-KO henchmen abilities would be fun. With the new format of three small and one medium I'm afraid we'll get less henchmen per year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
msg tools
mb
It's interesting how the effects of Steam Powered Arsenal and Mechanized Plate-Mail remind me more of a mash up of Cyclops and Gambit than Ironman. They touch on the Ironman motif with blue common up to 3 attack and a tech common to draw cards, while being something of a sidestep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.