Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bates
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinite Pi Games (Santa Barbara, CA, USA) and Games for the World (Coventry, UK) have come to a licensing agreement to allow the American company to reprint The World Cup Game, originally published by the British company in 2006.

The World Cup Game allows players to replay historic soccer tournaments, with control over a number of countries in the competition. The goal is to use strategy, power, and a bit of luck to guide one of your teams to soccer’s ultimate prize!

The reprint of this popular game will shift the design to a card-only format, allowing for more portability, but will maintain the original design of the board game. The revised game will also create individual team abilities, allow players to create their own tournaments (where teams from different eras can face off), and for the first time, allow players to replay the Women’s World Cup.

Expansions for the revised game will feature teams from prior World Cups, as well a Referee deck, where yellow and red cards can be given to players, and modern technologies (such as VAR) can be implemented!

Mark Bates, President of Infinite Pi Games, says, “As a lifelong soccer fan, I look forward to bringing back this game for those who have always enjoyed it, as well as introducing ‘the beautiful game’ to new fans.”

Shaun Derrick, Proprietor of former publisher, Games for the World, says, “I am excited to see my original design brought back to life again. Over the years since the last copy of The World Cup Game was sold I have been asked numerous times if I will publish a 2nd edition. Well, here it is! Mark and I have been discussing the development of the game for over a year now and I am so glad to see Mark’s enthusiasm and desire to see the game back at the forefront of sporting themed games.”

Infinite Pi Games is the publisher of Sovereign Chess, a chess variant with pieces of twelve different colors, where two players try to control neutral armies with the goal of checkmating their opponent. The game was featured on the TBS show “King of the Nerds” for its three-season run from 2013-2015, and is available for purchase at sovereignchess.com

Games for the World is the original producer of The World Cup Game, along with six expansions and The World Cup Card Game, published in 2010.

A Kickstarter campaign to generate interest and initial funding for the reprint of The World Cup Game is scheduled for later in 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.