Subject: Action phase pass rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wentao Kuang
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
"During the action phase, you must do an action if able before you can pass. Repeat until all mages are out of actions"

According to the previous rule, I believe we cannot pass any actions without doing anything. i.e. we must use at least a spell as a move action if we cannot target anyone?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
wondering about this too.. but intuitively speaking based on previous games, I think you're suppose to do at least ONE action (that includes forfeiting a spell to move a space) or else you forfeit your turn as a pass if you don't do anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it, forfeiting a spell to move a space wasn't an action. Only casting a spell or using a physical action. 🤔

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Loew
Germany
flag msg tools
yes, you have to do anything, but you can spend a spell to move up to one place. So you can still don't move, but you have to remove a spell.

This is how we understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
The4thJawa wrote:
The way I read it, forfeiting a spell to move a space wasn't an action. Only casting a spell or using a physical action. 🤔

Dont have the rulebook itself on hand, but here on BGG in the FAQ thread they confirmed that discarding spell to move is also an action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Marco has ruled in the Q&A folder that players cannot pass until all their actions have been taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
They should have just written that you have 3 possible actions:
- physical action token
- cast a not yet casted spell
- discard a not yet casted spell to move 1

You have to perform a minimum of 1, maximum of 2 actions. When performing 2 actions, you can do them in any order and combination. Exception: the Standard + Standard spell is not allowed.

When you are unable to perform any more actions, then your action window is skipped. Proceed with next player.
Action phase ends when noone has any actions left.

And thats it. The off-hand mention of passing just misleads ppl. Because it does not properly explain if its a choice or mandatory. Neither if its just passing of one "mini-round" of actions or whole action phase.
And the fact that "discard to move" is in separate section, also does not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
^ I agree totally with how the actions should have been explained. Listing every combination of two actions was convoluted and caused way more confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spike225BGG wrote:
And the fact that "discard to move" is in separate section, also does not help.

This is what caused me to think it wasn't an action as meant in the 1 or 2 actions a turn. Especially since it wasn't in the overview of possible combinations of actions. But it does make more sense to treat it as an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hit a problem in our first game that caused problems with the pass rules. I had cast a Forgotten spell that prevented everyone from moving for their next turn. Problem was one guy was killed prior to his next turn and in his cell. In that case I argued the death removed the immobile token (or perhaps the moving to the cell was enough). Another player had no physical action left and his only castable spell had no viable targets. We ruled he was allowed to pass and continue next turn, but I have a feeling that he maybe should have been forced to "cast" or "discard" that spell for no effect. But the rules are silent here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
cdennett wrote:
I hit a problem in our first game that caused problems with the pass rules. I had cast a Forgotten spell that prevented everyone from moving for their next turn. Problem was one guy was killed prior to his next turn and in his cell. In that case I argued the death removed the immobile token (or perhaps the moving to the cell was enough). Another player had no physical action left and his only castable spell had no viable targets. We ruled he was allowed to pass and continue next turn, but I have a feeling that he maybe should have been forced to "cast" or "discard" that spell for no effect. But the rules are silent here.

I would say that in this case as you canot move (as per spell) and you cannot pass if you have anything available, the player should have had to discard the card and move "0" so completing his turn.

For the guy in the room i would argue that it would remain in the room for that round as the players cannot move regardless (as anyway there is one instance where the player will finish a round in their room if they get killed and they have no more physical actions nor spells to discard to move one) but i would see the issue here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
cdennett wrote:

There is also a non-forgotten spell that prevents movement. For that spell the Codex explicitly said to remove the immmobile token when mage is returned to his/her room.
Not sure if its stated for the Forgotten spell too, but it makes sense to treat it as a general rule imo.

For the other player: If you have no physical tokens but still have 1 spell left, then you have to either:
- cast spell
- discard to move

Yes, you may and up simply revealing the spell (placing instability) and have no particular effect because there are no valid target.
And yes, if that was your last spell, then discarding it to move for 0 doesnt do anything. Even if you are allowed to move it just helps you position for next turn, nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.