Gentes: Deluxified Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Folded Space Inlay Falling Apart? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I just got and put together the inlay, and a lot of the trays seem to be falling apart. Have people had to glue them or something to hold together well? If so, what kind of glue has worked best? If not, what have people been doing to hold the trays together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every part of every tray in contact with another part has to be glued.
Pva wood glue works well.

I used Gorrilla wood glue, dispensed some into a small pot and used a modelling paint brush to coat one side of every joint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sybrwookie wrote:
Hey guys, I just got and put together the inlay, and a lot of the trays seem to be falling apart. Have people had to glue them or something to hold together well? If so, what kind of glue has worked best? If not, what have people been doing to hold the trays together?

As Mark said, the inserts are intended to be glued. Good ol' Elmers will work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks! I didn't see that in the directions so I wasn't sure if it just held together by pressure. Time to go get glue tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assembled this insert last night, which is my 10th Folded Space insert I have put together.

My thoughts after having done a few:

Any white or wood glue would do. I wouldn't recommend Gorilla brand however. It's a little thick and harder to clean up.

I use an old paint brush for application

I keep a damp cloth handy to wipe off excess, or any that you get on your fingers which migrates to other pieces. It's important to know that the material the insert is made from is not normal foam core. The cardboard is matte laminated. This means you can clean, and get it fairly damp with no ill effect.

I do not recommend test fitting until the glue has had plenty of time to dry. The Folded Space website cautions against this, as they glued components into the just-finished insert them they got started.

Most inserts take one to two hours, depending on the number of boxes you have to put together. This one took me about three.

I recommend checking out the assembly tips on the Folded Space web site as well:

https://www.foldedspace.net/assembly-tips/

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice or have any pointers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Moore
msg tools
badge
locusshifter wrote:
I assembled this insert last night, which is my 10th Folded Space insert I have put together.

Any white or wood glue would do. I wouldn't recommend Gorilla brand however. It's a little thick and harder to clean up.

I keep a damp cloth handy to wipe off excess, or any that you get on your fingers which migrates to other pieces. It's important to know that the material the insert is made from is not normal foam core. The cardboard is matte laminated. This means you can clean, and get it fairly damp with no ill effect.

I do not recommend test fitting until the glue has had plenty of time to dry. The Folded Space website cautions against this, as they glued components into the just-finished insert them they got started.

Most inserts take one to two hours, depending on the number of boxes you have to put together. This one took me about three.

I recommend checking out the assembly tips on the Folded Space web site as well:

Having put together one Folded Space insert before (I have several from the last KS that I just haven't gotten to), this fits my experience exactly. Someone somewhere (KS comments?) said it took them like 20 minutes and I thought they were insane.

I'm very careful to not have any glue show, etc - so it probably takes me longer than some folks.. but 20 minutes is insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Scotch glue pen. I find it's fast and good at directing glue. I don't worry about a little bit of extra glue; I just wipe it off immediately if that happens.

This one is pretty easy as far as inserts go. I couldn't pull it off anywhere near 20 minutes though. It takes me about 5 min/tray. At 20 trays total, that's about 100 minutes... I round up to 2 hours as I'm not a machine. I could probably do it faster if I really wanted to, but not much faster, as I'm not even pre-fitting before I build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wademoore wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Having put together one Folded Space insert before (I have several from the last KS that I just haven't gotten to), this fits my experience exactly. Someone somewhere (KS comments?) said it took them like 20 minutes and I thought they were insane.

I'm very careful to not have any glue show, etc - so it probably takes me longer than some folks.. but 20 minutes is insane.

20 minutes is BONKERS. More power to them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Achire wrote:
I use a Scotch glue pen. I find it's fast and good at directing glue. I don't worry about a little bit of extra glue; I just wipe it off immediately if that happens.

This one is pretty easy as far as inserts go. I couldn't pull it off anywhere near 20 minutes though. It takes me about 5 min/tray. At 20 trays total, that's about 100 minutes... I round up to 2 hours as I'm not a machine. I could probably do it faster if I really wanted to, but not much faster, as I'm not even pre-fitting before I build.

Mine took 3 hours as I was watching TV, and taking the occasional few minutes off from doing anything. I too could have been faster, but, I'm not sure rushing through it would be worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a trick for gluing these really fast. I cut a card into narrow strips (you could use the misprinted cards). I scoop up a little glue off a plate with the card strip, then apply it to the piece like a putty knife. (think Bob Ross painting technique.

It's super fast and clean.

You don't need to cover everything. Just cover the longest section that will have the most contact with the base of each tray. Add just a dab in the top corners of each tray. You're looking at about a minute per tray after dry-fitting with some practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I used Elmer's. Took me about 1.5 hours - it's an easy assembly, and the instructions are very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
I used Elmer's. Took me about 1.5 hours - it's an easy assembly, and the instructions are very clear.

Very clear ... including that glue is necessary, by the way (for the OP). whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
... May you find hearts full of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips on gluing before I start??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What worked for me, for what it's worth:
1) Assemble everything first.
2) Unfold each tray (no need to completely disassemble).
3) Use glue sparingly on all contact points (too much glue will overflow and need more clean up).
4) Reassemble and clean up stray glue with a paper towel.
5) Press parts together firmly until the glue sets.
6) Repeat until complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I missed that in the instructions, used elmers and it's all holding together great since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played several more times, and the inserts haven't fallen apart.

I have noticed that I don't particularly care for using the inserts *in play*. They are excellent for storage, but I prefer dumping everything out for ease of access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Taddeo
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Michaels and get some tiny pins for heming pants after the glue application insert the pins at each of the L corners. After it dries simply remove them.

1 Family Meeple wrote:
Any tips on gluing before I start??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need pins. All that will get you is an insert full of tiny holes.

I've built a few Folded Space inserts now. The precision cut EVA foam stays in position on its own until the glue sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grim Squeaker
msg tools
I finally got around to assembling this today. It took about two hours and was fairly intuitive. It would have been possible to assemble in 20 minutes or less without gluing, but then it would’ve fallen apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you using Elmers: are you using Elmers School Glue, Elmers Glue All, or Elmers Wood glue (the yellow one)? I know a wood glue is recommended, but i’d rather use a glue that dries clear than a glue that dries yellow. Wanted to make sure I don't use one that wont do the job though, even if it means some yellow seams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the standard white school glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions said glue was required. So I did that. PVA/wood glue. I also use pins with flat heads which i can leave in when i make foamcore inserts. this was no different.

Solid insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Jankowski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a little each day w/Elmers and everything fit's fine, however I messed up one of the 'spacers'.. the one with the tree image. I put the tree on the wrong side. Not a big deal at all but tell that to my OCD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.