Bloodborne: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Never backed anything on KS before. Quick question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Jazniski
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Currently, there's only the $100 pledge available. I'd just like input from people who pledge on KS regularly regarding that my $100 pledge gets me the game, the stretch goals, and what the KS process is like for a backer (what is the pledge manager and how does it come into the equation?).

I know backing KS is generally cheaper than buying retail, but getting everything for $100 seems too optimistic.

Thanks for any info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
Your $100+shipping gets you the base game + all Stretch Goals.

You will receive an email after the campaign to pay for and fill out shipping details.

About a year later, the stuff arrives.

PS - There will also probably be add-on content that is offered which you will need to add $ on top of the $100 to "purchase".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The pledge manager lets you finalize your order before the game is manufactured. So that can be your opportunity to pay more to add expansions etc. Notably, it's also where you have to pay the shipping costs - this step is not optional.

I find that with most games I buy, that $100 price I paid during the Kickstarter balloons to $150 after the pledge manager, because I have to pay $30 for shipping and there's usually one or two add-ons I want to buy (dice/coins/ whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've personally only backed digital things, but with well-established companies with a history of producing this stuff, barring some huge problem, everything they say is a stretch goal that is part of the base game, and everything currently is as I write this, you'll get as part of the base set for that price. Note though that their shipping estimates are provisional, meaning they haven't been finalized for the actual weight/bulk. As things increase the boxes get heavier, etc.

And eventually we may reach a point where they're going to need a new box, so to speak, and will offer expansions or add-ons, which will each probably cost less than 100, but will be in addition to the base set and will inflate the price if you're a completionist. But if you stick to the base set the price will likely only increase as far as shipping, which you get a separate bill for some time after the campaign is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyJazzy wrote:
Currently, there's only the $100 pledge available. I'd just like input from people who pledge on KS regularly regarding that my $100 pledge gets me the game, the stretch goals, and what the KS process is like for a backer (what is the pledge manager and how does it come into the equation?).

I know backing KS is generally cheaper than buying retail, but getting everything for $100 seems too optimistic.

Thanks for any info.

The pledge includes the core game and all unlocked stretch goals (SG).

Note: At some point, CMON will start adding "Add-Ons".

Add-Ons are not included in your pledge and can be purchased by either adding money to your pledge during the campaign (which helps unlock more SGs) or via buying them in the Pledge Manager (PM).

During the campaign, just choose "Manage your Pledge" and add the monetary amount for the add-on to your total.

At the conclusion of the campaign, your credit card will be charged for the total amount of your pledge.

Sometime after the campaign (anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or two), there will be a Pledge Manager where you select what to spend your pledge total money on, add more game copies or add-ons if desired, enter your shipping address, and pay for your shipping.

You will receive an email invitation when the PM opens (to the email address used for your pledge) and the PM will stay open some period of time (usually a month or two). When the PM closes, your card will be charged for your shipping and any additional buys from the PM.

Something else to be aware of on many campaigns: one-wave shipping vs. two-wave shipping. Many campaigns offer the ability to get the core game earlier (1st wave) and the SGs and add-ons at a later date (2nd wave).

In this case, if you purchase two-wave shipping (costs a bit more), you will get your shipment split into two parts like this.
If you select one-wave shipping (costs less), you will not receive ANYTHING until the 2nd wave (much later) when you will get everything at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lee
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mb
JimmyJazzy wrote:

Thanks for any info.

The hidden cost is normally the shipping cost which are 20% to 30% of the value. It will be cheaper if it’s being shipped to US, EU or China.

Each KS is different. Some offer a cheaper package than retail (most of the 2nd reprint of older titles). Some KS will offer exclusive items that only KS backers will have (mostly CMON games). Some KS offers exclusive items that can be purchased at much higher price later (see vital lacerda games).

CMON games are available easily on retail/ amazon, sometimes at cheaper price but you will not get the exclusive items (normally extra miniatures). That is why you see CMON Kickstarter normally exceeds $1 million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
NO QUEDAN PINGÜINOZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wonderful world of crowdfunding!

Usually in CMON campaigns, like the others say, about a week after campaign start some expansions pop up as add-ons. They add more tiles, more minis, more tokens, maybe more specific rules, and generally they have lower value for money than the base game (ie if the core has x of each for 80-100 USD, the expansions are 40-50 USD with nearly half the content). Then you will also see other add-ons if applicable like extra dice, custom dice, metal coins, plastic tokens, a playing neoprene mat with game art or as a bigger board replacement, whatever. Those add-ons are usually ~ 20-30 USD.
Close to the end of the campaign, nearly all these add-ons will be bundled in an "all-in tier level" or "all-in pledge" neighboring 300+ USD (Without shipping, which will be about twice that of the base game).

You'll hear terms like FOMO (fear of missing out). Some people are completists at heart, and go for the all-in pledge so they have the full experience. As others say, the all-in bundled pledge implies a big discount over the sum of the pieces, and it can be harder to get later some or all of these add-ons, especially at KS price and especially if retail distribution is not guaranteed for the add-ons or directly precluded as with the "ks exclusive" labeled add-ons.

In my experience and preferences it is not necessary to go all-in as the base game provides enough playing experience and the 150+extra shipping are better invested in another game.
But anyway, should you want more things than the base game, the main point is whether you can or want to commit the money at campaign closure or many months later during the Pledge Manager. In the first case your contribution will help unlock the remaining Stretch Goals, which are free with every pledge.

Aside of getting way more content than later in retail with a lower or comparable price (if you live outside the US, shipping for these kinds of games is a sizeable amount, but it still can be worth backing over retail), you get the experience of becoming part of a community, participating in the ks comments page, and (this differs from some games to others) shaping the evolution and crafting of the games (polls, etc), before it is even made. This can be very addictive for some backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigvolfan82bg wrote:

Something else to be aware of on many campaigns: one-wave shipping vs. two-wave shipping. Many campaigns offer the ability to get the core game earlier (1st wave) and the SGs and add-ons at a later date (2nd wave).

CMON does not do this - in recent memory twice they have shipped core game separately: Zombicide: Black Plague and Zombicide: Green Horde. Both times you did not have a choice - you got the base game first. Every single other campaign has shipped everything at once. Eight times thus far a large box has shown up at my doorstep containing lots of plastic goodies.

Here's an example of green horde unboxing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a source of confusion for new KS backers is "why have a pledge manager", why not manage from KS itself.

So Kickstarter is just the transaction - nothing else. It's not set up to manage the transaction thereafter, it's "locked down".

Pledge Managers, while they cost the company money to use them, provides complete flexibility to finalize, change and deliver the game - gives a lot of torque in managing shipping and can pay for much of itself, really as it allows the company to provide "late backing", giving people who missed the KS a chance to still participate. So in the PM, you can update your address ( whereby if you did something like that in KS, it would update for all your pledges in KS ), you can add items and you can customize items ( so maybe a drop down where you can pick the color of dice, if the KS provided that option for example ).

So the KS is the marketing portion only. The PM is distribution logistics, customization, add-on's, can update your shipping address if you move - the PM "removes" the project from KS and now it's just you and the company working out how to get your rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less yep. Trivial campaigns (with just one or two items) can avoid pledge managers. When you have like 8 different add ons resulting in some remarkable number of possible combinations, a pledge manager makes it much easier. That way every backer can pick and choose what specific combination they want (like an online shopping cart but with risk).

And yeah it also helps with long projects where people are likely to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neric wrote:
bigvolfan82bg wrote:

CMON does not do this - in recent memory twice they have shipped core game separately: Zombicide: Black Plague and Zombicide: Green Horde. Both times you did not have a choice - you got the base game first. Every single other campaign has shipped everything at once. Eight times thus far a large box has shown up at my doorstep containing lots of plastic goodies.

Yes, I know. That is why I said "Something else to be aware of on many campaigns". The OP said they were new to KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigvolfan82bg wrote:
Neric wrote:
bigvolfan82bg wrote:

Yes, I know. That is why I said "Something else to be aware of on many campaigns". The OP said they were new to KS.

There's always people confused and asking for this in the CMON comments every single time - so best to call out how CMON is different in a thread under a CMON game. So not to set up false expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neric wrote:
[q="bigvolfan82bg"][q="Neric"][q="bigvolfan82bg"]
There's always people confused and asking for this in the CMON comments every single time - so best to call out how CMON is different in a thread under a CMON game. So not to set up false expectations.

You do you and I'll do me.
Don't need your advice on giving advice :-)

And just a point of correction, unless you were one of the lucky few on the big mini on Cthulhu: Death May Die, it does ship separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Jazniski
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the info everyone. And just so I understand this right, (for example) the Mergo's Loft expansion that was just revealed is included in my $100 pledge because it's a stretch goal?

And expansions may be announced later on that aren't considered "stretch goals", which can be bought later with the pledge manager?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyJazzy wrote:
Thanks for all the info everyone. And just so I understand this right, (for example) the Mergo's Loft expansion that was just revealed is included in my $100 pledge because it's a stretch goal?

And expansions may be announced later on that aren't considered "stretch goals", which can be bought later with the pledge manager?

Thanks again!

Correct, you can also increase your pledge - which helps unlock more SGs. Or wait and pay in PM - both work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.