Brook City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exhaust question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Seifert
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I have three different tactic cards in my cop area, can I use each of their exhaust options in a single turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Have you come for a checkup?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sakebombsquad wrote:
If I have three different tactic cards in my cop area, can I use each of their exhaust options in a single turn?

Yes. You can even use them out of your normal turn too (see page 11). But once a card is exhausted, you cannot use its exhaust effects again until the card is readied (un-exhausted) at the start of your cop's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Sakebombsquad wrote:

Yes. You can even use them out of your normal turn too (see page 11). But once a card is exhausted, you cannot use its exhaust effects again until the card is readied (un-exhausted) at the start of your cop's turn.

Yup, super important to remember you can Exhaust out of turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card's exhausted, can you use any of the other actions, etc. on it? Or does exhausting a card mean all of its functions are unavailable (not just its exhaust effect) until the card is refreshed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does retain all text.

Page 8 has a little notebook page that talks about exhausted cards retaining the text just the activate abilities don’t trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. This is another reason I prefer to put a token on the card signifying it’s exhaustion over tapping. I can still read all the text!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I found the rulebook section you mentioned, but it still confuses me a bit (likely because I am not familiar with all the other cards yet to find a proper example). As you note, the rulebook states that "an exhausted card retains all of its card text, but its Activate effects cannot be triggered when exhausted."

So take, for instance, Gabe Fulton's deck and Slade Harper's deck. Gabe's deck has plenty of "Exhaust" effects, but not a single "Activate" effect. Is the rule implying that if, say, with Physical Training, I exhaust the card and suffer a stress to move 3 spaces, and then (for whatever reason), decide to take a Move step after, I would still get to move an additional space because the exhausted card's still in effect (despite being exhausted)?

Slade's deck has "Activate" effects, but no "Exhaust." Is there a deck where the rule as written comes into effect (ie, where the normal powers of the card are retained despite exhaustion, but it's not able to "Activate")?

Hopefully my question makes sense. It seems there are Actions and there are Activations. From the sound of it, card Actions can still be performed with an exhausted card—exhausting then only means you can't exhaust again. But then what does it mean when it says "Activate" effects go away as well...again, is there an example of a card with both "Exhaust" and "Activate"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
"Activate" are on the Case and Crime cards only. There are player cards that allow you to "Exhaust" Case/Crime cards (maybe just Crime cards, not sure) and therefore they don't get to do their Activate effect, they just un-exhaust. This buys you time from their negative effects!

"Exhaust" effects with a name are on the player cards. These are just once-a-round effects that you can do once. Everything else on the card still works. So yeah Gabe's card with an extra Move that isn't part of the exhaust still works. (I don't have the card in front of me.)

Hopefully that puts it into better context!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you! I suppose marking cards with a token makes more sense than tapping/turning them sideways when exhausting, seeing as how the card is still valid and you'll want to read the card during your turn.

But sounds good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've been putting the "Influence" tokens on my cop cards when I activate them (this won't work for any Case or Criminal cards, but Stress tokens will never be on them so that's an option).

I'm going to get some "Exhausted" acrylic markers made for this and a couple other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I just keep all the cards in a line and to exhaust I just slide them down a half inch or so. Easy to see the ones "out of line". Works for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Have you come for a checkup?
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful about using Influence to mark exhaustion. Some effects, like Morgan Hall's tactics, can place influence on cop cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving cards slightly is an option, or you could place a stress token on the card, which thematically makes a bit of sense after "exhausting" a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I just keep all the cards in a line and to exhaust I just slide them down a half inch or so. Easy to see the ones "out of line". Works for me!

Nope. No moving cards for me. They belong in a nicely stacked line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Coren wrote:
soosy wrote:

Nope. No moving cards for me. They belong in a nicely stacked line

If you have Delta Keys you can use the crate tokens if you aren't using them. Put them on your exhausted cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.