2 Posts

Middara» Forums » Variants

Subject: [Homebrew] Combining Weapons/Armors/Cores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fenris Fenrir

Friedrichshafen
msg tools
I´m close to the end of the uncommon loot tier, and there has been something that has bugged me for a while.
Some of the weapons/armors/cores are simple 1 to 1 upgrades, and some completely change their abilities. And it has happened more than once to me that i liked the ability of a lower tier item a lot more, but had to upgrade to stay statistically viable, aka still hit something or not die.

Now here is my idea i came up with. An upgrade that combines weapons/armors/cores with a similar version of another tier.
It would work like this:
- You have to have both items you want to combine and pay a cost as if you would upgrade the higher tier one of the items (so, if you have to buy both items first, it would be a total of old item+new item+upgrade cost)
- You can only combine items of different loot tier and they have to share at least 1 tag (in case of weapons, they also have to use the same amount of hands and range)
- After combining, you keep the lower half (abilitys text and symbols) of one of the cards and the upper half (dice/numbers) from the other card.
- This DOES count as an upgrade and uses up one upgrade slot.

This way, you can keep the abilities you liked, have the dice/numbers that are appropriate for the tier, and enough restrictions that it isn´t just cherry picking.

What does the community/succubus team think about this? Does this sound broken? Does it sound fine? Would you want to use this?

(And yes, i know this wouldn´t do much for finesse or casting weapons, because their statistical upgrades are in the ability text, but i couldn´t find anything useful for that. And just picking 1 ability from an old weapon to add to everything the new weapon does, felt to powerful to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklynn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenris235 wrote:
I´m close to the end of the uncommon loot tier, and there has been something that has bugged me for a while.
Some of the weapons/armors/cores are simple 1 to 1 upgrades, and some completely change their abilities. And it has happened more than once to me that i liked the ability of a lower tier item a lot more, but had to upgrade to stay statistically viable, aka still hit something or not die.

Now here is my idea i came up with. An upgrade that combines weapons/armors/cores with a similar version of another tier.
It would work like this:
- You have to have both items you want to combine and pay a cost as if you would upgrade the higher tier one of the items (so, if you have to buy both items first, it would be a total of old item+new item+upgrade cost)
- You can only combine items of different loot tier and they have to share at least 1 tag (in case of weapons, they also have to use the same amount of hands and range)
- After combining, you keep the lower half (abilitys text and symbols) of one of the cards and the upper half (dice/numbers) from the other card.
- This DOES count as an upgrade and uses up one upgrade slot.

This way, you can keep the abilities you liked, have the dice/numbers that are appropriate for the tier, and enough restrictions that it isn´t just cherry picking.

What does the community/succubus team think about this? Does this sound broken? Does it sound fine? Would you want to use this?

(And yes, i know this wouldn´t do much for finesse or casting weapons, because their statistical upgrades are in the ability text, but i couldn´t find anything useful for that. And just picking 1 ability from an old weapon to add to everything the new weapon does, felt to powerful to me.)

Interesting Idea.

As a note, we do have an upgrade in Rare called 'Perfect' that lets you bring older weapons and their abilities up to Rare level stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.