Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing my friend last night, he as Jihadi, myself as US, we had the first time he game finished by elimination of all cells and I did it by using the Jihadi cards against him. Let’s set the stage…

The US was doing good at the time, with both the Gulf States and Iraq as good resources, while troops still at low intensity. I lucked into the card that makes you shift an adversary to neutral on a roll of 4 to 6, which opened up Iraq for me. I also had successfully dropped the funding of the Jihadi’s to 2, so I already had 2 more cards than my opponent and the final turn I entered with an extra card I saved (KSM) from the previous turn. My only real worry was the WMD (loose nuke from Russia) he had picked in the previous turn. I imagined that he hoped to use that to bump his funding back up to 9.

The Jihadi’s dropped a plot in Pakistan (where I had troops and I actually hoped they would try to plot to knock my prestige down from 7 to 6). Thanks to KSM, I could neutralize the plot and draw 2 cards! So after both our first action phases, I had a 5 card advantage over the Jihadi’s. To make matters worse for him, he had 2 predators and a special forces still in hand off which he could only “plot away” one of the predators (successfully placing that plot in Pakistan which KSM uncovered). The other two cards killed off some of his last cells. He was down to 2 cells after playing all his cards.

So with the jihadist out of cards, I had enough cards left to kill the second to last cell in Pakistan. Now there was only 1 cell left in Lybia (poor adversary). But I had no means to kill that cell while in Lybia. This is the first time I was happy, playing as the US, to have Shengen Visas in my hand. I played that card and had the event go off first, so the Jihadi had to travel to a Shengen country and he picked Italy, though he could already feel the storm coming. I then disrupted with the OPS of the card to make the cell go active, followed with an easy disrupt using a neutral card, to eliminate that final active cell.

Thematically, in the end the US security services arranged the last cell to obtain visas to Italy, only to catch them when landing at Fiumicino airport in Rome.

This was my 12th game of Labyrinth (7 as US, 5 as Jihadi), but it was the first time ever the game ended by removing all cells. Very satisfying, though some luck with the dice for the US and bad dice luck for the Jihadi (like a major Jihad that went totally wrong, killing 3 of his cells!) did play a part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great scenario .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I find the win conditions to remove all cells (as US player), or resolve a WMD plot in the US (as Jihadi player) rather hollow conditions. The global war on terror wouldn't end because of these events. New cells would spring up, or the US would go into the war even harder after a WMD attack. Now you could argue that any win condition is only temporary victory in the true longer game. I get that you have to place an arbitrary end point in the game, but this type of win did feel less "true" than the resource win or good/fair vs poor/IR win conditions.
I will be taking a break from this game now, and dive into the COIN series. I'm currently learning to play A Distant Plain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midav8 wrote:
I will be taking a break from this game now, and dive into the COIN series. I'm currently learning to play A Distant Plain.

If you're like me you won't be gone for long. I'm always up for a game of Labyrinth. Incidentally, have you played the expansion? My opinion was muted at first - okay, but not better than the original, as many seem to think - but I'm liking it more lately. It's a new twist that generates significantly different narratives and well worth one's time.

BTW, I also enjoy the COIN games, and ADP is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
htjester wrote:
Midav8 wrote:

If you're like me you won't be gone for long. I'm always up for a game of Labyrinth. Incidentally, have you played the expansion? My opinion was muted at first - okay, but not better than the original, as many seem to think - but I'm liking it more lately. It's a new twist that generates significantly different narratives and well worth one's time.

BTW, I also enjoy the COIN games, and ADP is my favorite.

I love the expansion because of the added depth/mechanisms to play with/thematic chrome. The next expansion to come out looks very promising too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
If you're like me you won't be gone for long. I'm always up for a game of Labyrinth.

You are right. Had a cancellation for game night this evening, so we are left with two players. We won't be playing ADP with 2 factions each, so we will revert back to Labyrinth.
I have the expansion by the way, but we feel there was still stuff to discover in the base game. Might want to start using the expansion though if another one is on the horizon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.