Subject: Guide Grids for Playing Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Morton
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
Has anyone every stumbled upon guide grids for a standard deck of playing cards. I have been looking for hours for a grids to layout the 2-10 cards but I cant seem to find them ANYWHERE. Obviously people designing cards use grids/guides like this or the card faces would never look good.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you mean a guide fitting cards onto a sheet or to locate the pips on the card itself?
I assume you may have better luck if you search by whatever software you intend to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Morton
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
do you mean a guide fitting cards onto a sheet or to locate the pips on the card itself?
I assume you may have better luck if you search by whatever software you intend to use.

I am looking for the pip locations themselves. I have tried searching by program, I am using illustrator, but with no luck. Likely I will end up creating the guides myself and sharing them somewhere so others can use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing useful here?
https://www.google.com/search?q=playing+card+template&rlz=1C...=_
its even got an illustrator tab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suspect that whenever people design a new deck of cards, they create the positions again from scratch. It's not something that happens every day - and certainly I've seen decks of cards the same size which have distinctly different positions for the suit icons, even if they're in the same overall scheme (e.g. the eight is two columns of four icons, the three is a top-right to bottom-left diagonal of three icons, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Morton
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
nothing useful here?
https://www.google.com/search?q=playing+card+template&rlz=1C...=_
its even got an illustrator tab

No, I have scrounged through that a bunch of times. I am not looking for a template on illustrator art boards, or bleed areas for cards which is all I can seem to find. I am looking for guides that help you easily locate the pips as you lay them out on the cards 2-10. I would upload a photo of an example but I do not know how

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean a regular playing card - where a 2 of hearts has 2 hearts in the middle of the card and a 4 of clubs has 4 clubs in the middle of the card?

Is that what you mean by 'pips'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Morton
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
I strongly suspect that whenever people design a new deck of cards, they create the positions again from scratch. It's not something that happens every day - and certainly I've seen decks of cards the same size which have distinctly different positions for the suit icons, even if they're in the same overall scheme (e.g. the eight is two columns of four icons, the three is a top-right to bottom-left diagonal of three icons, etc.).

This was my thought as well. I just thought it seemed redundant to have to do that every time, especially if you design a lot of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Morton
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
adamw wrote:
Do you mean a regular playing card - where a 2 of hearts has 2 hearts in the middle of the card and a 4 of clubs has 4 clubs in the middle of the card?

Yes that is exactly what I mean, This is the term for those little symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CalMor wrote:
I am looking for guides that help you easily locate the pips as you lay them out on the cards 2-10. I would upload a photo of an example but I do not know how

yeah I follow you but I don't know illustrator well enough I guess. I assumed some of those would be what you were looking for as a few had pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:

That is the usual meaning of the word "pips" in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Crafter seems to have some playing card templates. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/design-assets/playing-card-te...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using nanDeck for card layouts. Lurking Meeple made a couple scripts to do the work. I tweaked it a little to suit my taste in the pip layouts.

nanDeck can take some getting used to, but it's pretty powerful. For this script I just feed it the fonts to use and the letter in the pip font but people can go crazy with it since it's essentially a programming language.

nanDeck was made by
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.