Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the 2nd (and last) game of the night for me, Mary and David. M and I had played it once (maybe twice?) before, a few years ago. Fortunately D had played it more recently, and was able to help us with the rules. This was one of the earlier games we had bought, when we were just getting into these frieky games. I remember really disliking it, and never had wanted to play it again! In fact, it had turned me off auctions, in general! But, I have since played and enjoyed other auction games (e.g., Princes of Florence, O Zoo le Mio), and of course Ra gets great reviews, so I wanted to try it again.

The game plays pretty quickly ... I think it took just over an hour, including rules explanations. M and I were working on collecting a little of everything; D did, too, but he really concentrated on monuments. It seems I am still not that great at auction games - I kept getting stuck with the low-numbered suns. The first phase ended by drawing the last Ra token. In the 2nd phase, I had all low numbers and decided to keep calling Ra. M wasn't too happy about it, but it worked reasonably well and I got some higher suns and some decent tiles. In the 3rd phase I was unable to stop D taking most of the monuments. i ended up coming in 2nd, after D who scored big for having all 8 monuments and a set of 3 and a set of 4.

Ra is definitely better than I remember - glad I gave it another chance! Unfortunately, I am just not a very good shopper and I don't get comfortable with auctions very quickly. But the game plays quickly enough that it should be easy getting some games in to get a better feel for it. And it's on BSW, so that makes things easier, too. Right now, I'd probably rate this a 6 or 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.