Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not too keen of playing boardgames online. I probably played 1/2 a dozen games of T2R and other than that I only play StreetSoccer at Mastermoves.eu.

So far, I have had a lot more fun playing StreetSoccer online than face-to-face. This is not what I would expect and I am not sure of the reason.

One possibility is that people play online because they really enjoy the game and tend to know how to play well. Most of the people whom I play face-to-face are not very experienced with the game and some dismiss it as a "nice little game" highly luck dependent.

The online version looks nicer. You get to pick a kit, the players are more to scale comparing with the field, while in the boardgame the players are a little too big for the field (even though they look quite nice).

Online, you have time to really look over your options. I tend to rush a bit when playing face-to-face to avoid breaking the flow of the game and AP.

Anyother thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
Great observation Ronaldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I learned the game at mastermoves online. It took a few matches to appreciate what a gem SS is. But if I was strictly playing the boardgame I would never have faced the level of skilled plyrs and may never have grown to appreciate how clever the design really is. And as you say about the appearance of the boardgame, themewise its perfect, but if I hadnt played at mm , I may not have 'invested' the time to learn about the games subtleties, possibly thinking by the looks that it may have been designed for kids!! What is good about the boardgame though is when two experienced players play, theres a great speed to the game because of the simplicity of the mechanics. That to me, feels like real footie!! And when players dont take long to make their move, a rhythm between each evolves which is nice.........
One of the cool things about playing in the league online is you have access to look at other players games theyve completed or are playing. So you can scout players styles, tendencies and set ups etc. Or just follow a key game that effects your position in the division.

And I love the team colors and smaller size plyrs on mm!!!!!!!!
They add significantly to the experience for memeeple

Thanks for your post!!!!!
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all good reasons! But the thing I like best about playing online is... I don't have to keep track of the "clock"! The computer clicks it for me, perfectly reliably, every time. This keeps the flow of the game moving nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps for real-time games but I find I enjoy PBEM games on littlegolem.com more as logic puzzles than anything else. Besides, that way I can have dozens of simultaneous games going and make my moves at my convenience (similar to T&E here on the BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
To Steve: Absolutely, cant forget about that!!!! Eliminates that little nagging feeling of having that responsibility!

To Rob: If your having fun, thats what its all about!!!
Theme is important for me in games and SS gives me that(love soccer). I know there are some great abstracts on LG ,its just a taste I havent acquired yet, Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.