7 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Party composition/balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Bude
msg tools
mbmb
I'm getting ready to play this over the summer with my kids (15 and 17.) They've picked their characters (lawful druid and knight.) Now it's my turn, and I've got a dilemma. How important is party composition? Is it vital to have the old trifecta (tank/damage/healer?) Does this group truly need the healer for the third, or would something else (like the Kurgan Kroghan or the sorceress) be viable?

I'm kind of hoping not getting stuck playing a healer.

Again.

Again again.

If it's what necessary, though, I'll roll with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think druid can heal. I think you need a someone can do range attack. Either a mage or someone can used a bow. If you want someone do more damage in early quests, go with the mage. Stronger spell require longer cool down, so, in late quests after you get a good bow, I feel bow attack is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis Xiroyannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on
mbmbmbmbmb
Party composition is important only if you want to power-play, all characters are playable and no, healers are not essential in S&S. However, you can make your life easier or harder, depending on your party composition choices.

It depends how easy you would like your campaign to be. What I would personally propose as a minimum in party creation, is to try and spread as much as you can in terms of fighting styles, so if your kids have chosen Strength and Faith, choose a character from Magic or Dexterity pool. That will give you access to more loot & diverse skills. Other than that, no, you don't have to play a healer again but remember to buy all healing consumables before every quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Healers aren't needed at all.

Treasure Hunters are far more powerful in this game to be honest.

Also not really needed, but if you're looking for a power play, those are you best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Bude
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome! Thanks to all of you. I'm the guy who usually picks characters last, so I usually end up with the healer. I think this time I'll run with the sorceress.

Now, to finish painting everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackhawk3339 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks to all of you. I'm the guy who usually picks characters last, so I usually end up with the healer. I think this time I'll run with the sorceress.

The druid is already a healer. Good choice in the sorceress. It's my personal favourite.

In general, I recommend you take different types of heroes for your party. You already have a S and F hero. I would recommend you take a M or D hero. The reason is that you will have a better chance of treasure being usable for your party.

As others said, you don't need a healer. Just make sure you have enough healing items with you going into each quest after the first. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You don't need a healer.

2) The knight can do some healing if you later decide you'd like some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.