Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so just got through with my third game ever. My friend and I stumbled around a bit so I thought I'd ask some questions if you don't mind...

1) We understand flanking rules now, but the other thing we were wondering about (and I know this sounds like a newbie question) is that both the "pinner" and "flanker" add there CF together for the attack right? In other words even though the "flanker" is giving the +1 to the DRM, they are still adding their CF to the total comabty strength, correct?

2) What is stopping the Basara BR units from just running around the NE map and gobbling up all the red sqaured VP cities? We couldn't find anything that keeps them from doing this to rack up a bunch of points.

3) Lastly, this might seem obvious, but wanted to double check. If a corp is taking a 2 LF, then it's gone right? Sorta like, 1, flip / 1, dead. Not 1, flip / 1, "absorbed" but still alive (i.e. it would need 3 to kill it, one above it's LF). I'm pretty sure it's 1, flip / 1, dead...but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in Advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, all units involved in an attack add their CF together.
2) It is forbidden to enter the territory of neutral nations. Turkey is neutral until it enters the war. So the Basra troops can't enter turkey and take the VP locations.
3) Yes, a 2 LF will kill all corps except for the BEF (which needs a 3 LF to kill it). You don't have to get more than the LF needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!! Cleared all that up nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions that came up today for anyone if you don't mind...

1) If an attacker is attacking from a fort, I understand that the forts CS is not added into the total CF. If a unit in a fort decided to do a flank attack, won, and resolves LV, if the defender is still able to counter-attack...is the forts CS added into the total CF since it is "techinically" defending? OR is it just assumed that since the units in the fort attacked, the fort is considered "attacking" until the end of all combat.

2) In flank attacks when the attacker is taking LV, which units take damage first..the pinner or the flanker? Does it even matter (i.e. up to the player to decide who takes what)

3) Armies take LV before corps correct? For example if you have a full strength army and corp in the same space with a 2 LV (say GR), the army can soak the two first thus "saving" the corp? or since the LV could be taken directly (and exactly) out of the corp (and thus eliminating it) does it go first? Along with that, what if there were 2 corps? two reduced corps or one eliminated corp? players choice? (mabye eliminating one corp would allow an army to SR in next activation..to help resolve stacking rules).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane (in answer to your second set of questions):

1) The fort's combat value would not be added (it helps to visualize the battle taking place IN the defender's space rather than FROM the attacker's). However, this scenario would never occur. The defender does not use attacker combat factors. (Hope I'm interpreting the question correctly, please explain further if I'm not.)

2) Player's choice (but see below).

3) Not correct. Just remember that if you CAN lose the exact loss number, then you MUST, whether corp or army. If the loss number is less than any unit's loss factor in the space, you flip/lose nothing, corp or army. The rulebook uses an example of a space with one full-strength and one reduced French army (both loss factor "3") taking a loss number of "5". The reduced army would have to be eliminated for 3 losses; the resulting corp would be flipped and then eliminated to satisfy the remaining 2. The full strength army can't be used because the most it can lose is 3 out of the 5 required (had it been alone in the space, it would have been flipped once).

To answer the second part of your question (and I'm going from memory, I believe the loss factor for GR corps is "1"), you're right, player's choice.

Affecting all of these answers is the rule that stipulates the order in
which certain units take losses -- the BEF, for example, must take losses first even if there are other legal loss combinations.

(Note: Edited the first paragraph to clarify, initial post was a bit off.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks! I'm sure our next game will go much more smoothly now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Good to see veteran gamers bringing the newbies along. All good.
cheers Stu
Rules reading is not so much a gift as the result of playing 3000 games previous ( not necessarily the same one ) !!!! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.