Hide
15 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Abes Ability Strongarm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Friedchen
msg tools
Can someone explain to me how this ability works ? I dont understand it at all ? Can he drag someone INTO his area, does the target suffers damage (or others because of the hurl keyword) what is the range on that etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurl is described in the rulebook on page 22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Friedchen
msg tools
dbc- wrote:
Hurl is described in the rulebook on page 22.

i know how hurl works but the wording from Abes Ability does not work the sae as the hurl rule because it says he hurls someone INTO his area but from where, is there line of sight, does abe suffer damage from the hurl and so on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy wrote:
... it says he hurls someone INTO his area ...

Uh, I don't think it does. I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I managed to find an unboxing photo of the KS edition of the game showing Abe's card, and as far as I can tell, the text for Strong Arm reads:

Quote:
Hurl an Enemy in Abe's area.

... which, to me, means that Abe can hurl an Enemy, as long as that Enemy is in the same area as Abe when the player decides to perform the Strong Arm action. So, it's a regular hurl (from Abe's area into an adjacent area) after all, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear intent (I don't have the wording in front of me either) to hurl someone following the hurl rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Sweeny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Gosburo is right.
The ability is to hurl an enemy that is IN Abe's area. Not to hurl an enemy INTO Abe's area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Friedchen
msg tools
MSweeny wrote:
Dr Gosburo is right.
The ability is to hurl an enemy that is IN Abe's area. Not to hurl an enemy INTO Abe's area.

hm ok thanks for the clarification. It s just a bit weird beacuse in the comics Abe isnt that strong to maybe for example hurl a giant frog monster ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy wrote:
It s just a bit weird beacuse in the comics Abe isnt that strong to maybe for example hurl a giant frog monster ^^

I don't quite agree with your opinion on Abe's physical strength, but there's no need to get into that here.

Anyway, I'm sure that this ability has been implemented mostly for gameplay reasons: Abe is the shooty character, and you can't shoot at targets in your own area. Strong Arm gives him a chance to push enemies away so they can be targeted with a Shoot action. Under your initial interpretation (pulling people into his own area), the ability would actually create a disadvantage for Abe ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Friedchen
msg tools
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
It s just a bit weird beacuse in the comics Abe isnt that strong to maybe for example hurl a giant frog monster ^^

I don't quite agree with your opinion on Abe's physical strength, but there's no need to get into that here.

Anyway, I'm sure that this ability has been implemented mostly for gameplay reasons: Abe is the shooty character, and you can't shoot at targets in your own area. Strong Arm gives him a chance to push enemies away so they can be targeted with a Shoot action. Under your initial interpretation (pulling people into his own area), the ability would actually create a disadvantage for Abe ...

yea i know i just wanted things clear because we held him back and not played with him until we have things sorted out so thank you very much :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy wrote:
MSweeny wrote:
Dr Gosburo is right.

hm ok thanks for the clarification. It s just a bit weird beacuse in the comics Abe isnt that strong to maybe for example hurl a giant frog monster ^^

I know you're just being facetious, but the Giant Frog Monster's card states that the figure cannot be Hurled...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most." - Frank Castle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would've been better titled "Judo Throw" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Steinhoff
msg tools
So is Abe's "Strong arm" a fighting attack or just something that he can just do for one cube? I am thinking it is not a fighting attack but thought I would ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
marroon69 wrote:
So is Abe's "Strong arm" a fighting attack or just something that he can just do for one cube? I am thinking it is not a fighting attack but thought I would ask

It's a hurl effect without fight attack. The card would have specified "Make a Fight Action" if it was the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
MSweeny wrote:
Dr Gosburo is right.

I know you're just being facetious, but the Giant Frog Monster's card states that the figure cannot be Hurled...
It says It can’t be stunned. It doesn’t say anything about not being able to hurl it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
MSweeny wrote:
Dr Gosburo is right.

It says It can’t be stunned. It doesn’t say anything about not being able to hurl it.

Ah, my mistake. It's been several weeks since I've looked at the card or played the game. I thought it said the figure cannot be Hurled or Stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.