Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Art Shots vs. Fun Images rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While art shots usually get many thumbs (= very appreciated) when uploaded to a specific game, a fun image which was digitally edited (photoshoped) is very hard to pass the modding process. Art Shots do get own geeklists and are even once a month awarded Geekgold. Funny images usually are only uploaded in the personal gallery and show up every once and while.

My latest try to do one of my own concerned the new Eurogame Cuba, which gets most attention in the Pre-Essen time as it will be released at the Spiele Messe in Essen. Therefore I created the following Image (yes, I know my editing skills are not that good):
Is the next "Big Thing" coming?



As expected it was declined, but sometimes the reasoning is as funny as the image:

Reason: The image was irrelevant to the subject. (the one I expected)
Reason: The image was too small. (759x535 is within norm, isnt'it?)
Reason: The image was spam. (this was ironic)
Reason: The image was not well focused (it was meant to be funny, man!)

This leads me to the following question:

Why do "Fun Images" have such a bad reputation (won't get approved) while art shots get thumbs like crazy?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
no offense, but I would have declined too.

I do not like photoshop stuff. I think they tend to be very immature and look cheesy. Lot of the are just plain stupid IMHO.

I also tend not to like any 'fun' picture where it's just some piece or box in some stupid pose or place. So, I'd be inclined to decline those type of non-photoshopped pics too.

As far as artsy, some of them I like. But, for the most part I don't like them either. Some photos look to clean and look like they should be in a catalog and not on a gaming table. I like mine to be real. But, I'm a minority there I guess. But, I can tell you that 'most' artsy shots are at least about the components and/or the game. So, they at least are relevant to the database. Where as 'most' photshopped pics are just random pictures with something tacked in it.

Sorry to offend, but that's just how I see. But, I'm just one person.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
no offense, but I would have declined too.

I do not like photoshop stuff. I think they tend to be very immature and look cheesy. Lot of the are just plain stupid IMHO.

I also tend not to like any 'fun' picture where it's just some piece or box in some stupid pose or place. So, I'd be inclined to decline those type of non-photoshopped pics too.

As far as artsy, some of them I like. But, for the most part I don't like them either. Some photos look to clean and look like they should be in a catalog and not on a gaming table. I like mine to be real. But, I'm a minority there I guess. But, I can tell you that 'most' artsy shots are at least about the components and/or the game. So, they at least are relevant to the database. Where as 'most' photshopped pics are just random pictures with something tacked in it.

Sorry to offend, but that's just how I see. But, I'm just one person.


In the future, if you mean no offense, you might refrain from using the term 'stupid'. That's usually a big indicator that you really don't care if you offend. But in any case, I digress.

There are many levels of "photoshopping" that are done to images. Most, if not all, of my images are sucked into Paintshop Pro for cleaning up, cropping, light adjustment, adding a border etc. so it's not photoshopping in general that is the problem.

However, I think the 'fun' images tend to represent a moment in time that loses its relevance and therefore may, at a conscious/unconscious level, inhibit modders from accepting them and/or thumbers from thumbing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
no offense, but I would have declined too.


I don't mind it was declined, I think I wouldn't have it approved too (though skipped instead of declined).
However the reasoning was sometimes odd (spam).
But I like to lead the discussion back to the question why art shots are generally accepted on BGG while fun images are not.
One point is surely that an art shot still has got more relevance than a fun image. Maybe if there was a distinct category "fun shots" we could upload some and get them approved...
Another point is that a photo of the gameboard is "neutral" while a fun photo may be considered "not funny at all" by others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet, "fun images" are some of the highest thumbed on BGG.

The highest thumbed image has no real merit other than cleavage. The thumbers find this fun to look at.

The second highest thumbed is a humourous image. So is the third, and the fourth.

The fifth, again, is an image people find fun to look at, because they see an attractive woman. The sixth is again humourous.

I would consider the most thumbed "arty" image to be:



That image is the 13th most thumbed image of all time. 13th. That means that the top 12 images are all not arty, they're either fun, have a girl in them, or are helpful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
And yet, "fun images" are some of the highest thumbed on BGG.

The highest thumbed image has no real merit other than cleavage. The thumbers find this fun to look at.

The second highest thumbed is a humourous image. So is the third, and the fourth.

The fifth, again, is an image people find fun to look at, because they see an attractive woman. The sixth is again humourous.


OK, let's have a quick look at these and then compare them to mine that was declined withing a few minutes:

544 Thumbs (Magic the Gathering)
508 Thumbs (Arkham Horror Expansion)
493 Thumbs (Candy Land)
322 Thumbs (Poker)
300 Thumbs (Lost Cities)
294 Thumbs (Dracula)
282 Thumbs (Kill Dr. Lucky)

While mine was "too small", the box is not any bigger on the Arkham Horror or Kill Dr. Lucky image.
Mine was "irrelevant" but how is a pair of b00bs (MtG)or two seducing eyes (Lost Cities) more relevant to the game?
Mine was considered "Spam" but why is the image about Poker that shows a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey not spam?
All those pictures got hundreds of thumbs while mine was declined.
It's hard to believe that the same modding standards were used assessing those images and mine.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey as most know I love photochoping fun photo's. But that is what makes your user gallery useful. Don't litter game entries with funny photo's, use your gallery instead(as when they become less topical, you can erase them too)...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:


While mine was "too small", the box is not any bigger on the Arkham Horror or Kill Dr. Lucky image.
Mine was "irrelevant" but how is a pair of b00bs (MtG)or two seducing eyes (Lost Cities) more relevant to the game?
Mine was considered "Spam" but why is the image about Poker that shows a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey not spam?
All those pictures got hundreds of thumbs while mine was declined.
It's hard to believe that the same modding standards were used assessing those images and mine.



Well if you want the truth of the matter. The difference between those and yours is, those were really really clever and yours well, isn't.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Don't little game entries with funny photo's,


That's a good argument. Too much fun images add undesirable "noise".
However, photos in the personal gallery won't get any thumbs (though it seems technical possible)

MWChapel wrote:
those were really really clever and yours well, isn't.


That's a bad argument. I still like the idea. I only would agree that my photo editing skills are inferior.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:


That's a bad argument. I still like the idea. I only would agree that my photo editing skills are inferior.


Your editing skills are fine. It's just that "Comedy is Hard". Sometimes you have zingers, and sometimes, not so much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.