Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have now played with the prototype Exiles and Partisans deck four times.
The only memorable one deck wise was with three players - Cats, Birds & Lizards. The Birds soared ahead, crafted only items, and reached 29VP before collapsing into Turmoil.
The Cat's network was shut down by the Lizards(according to the fickle felines) but rescued by Tunnels which make crafting pieces adjacent. The Lizards made ample use of Rummage Sale which involves taking a random card and then returning one of yours as well as Corvid Planners which allow movement without Ruling.
The Cats were making much of Coffin Makers which gathers all fallen warriors until handed in for 1VP per 5 warriors but fell to my Saboteurs!
I let Eyrie Emigre (forced move and battle) and League of Adventurous Mice(exhaust an item in the crafted box to initiate a move or battle) slip through my scaly fingers. This was a pity as both would have been very useful in Lizard hands. The Cats persevered, rerouting their wood to fuel the final building and 30VP. The Birds kept going into Turmoil and twice had to parachute in emergency troops and roost ending up on 25 and the Lizards on 24. This is all provisional as I see Cole Wehrle's latest post shows a new card - False Orders - which means some others will fall by the wayside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god please, please why must you put hard carriage returns into your paragraphs? Really makes reading this paragraph on my phone a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clyde, are you pursuing me? I find phones rather too small to navigate BGG effectively. Just for you this posting is single spaced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
steveowen wrote:
Clyde, are you pursuing me? I find phones rather too small to navigate BGG effectively. Just for you this posting is single spaced!
No, I just subscribe to the same games as you, apparently.

I mean, I agree, browsing BGG on a phone is the literal worst. Writing replies back is even worse, if that is possible. But sometimes a phone is all you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb

Hopefully that's better. Any Q's fire away. One advantage of the new deck is the absence of Favor cards although this may have the consequence of prolonging the game. Forgot to mention the above game lasted 13 turns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Oh god please, please why must you put hard carriage returns into your paragraphs? Really makes reading this paragraph on my phone a nightmare.

I just spend two minutes looking up "hard and soft returns" to make sure I hadn't misremembered, because all I could see were horrible soft returns that makes it impossible to read on a computer because it's all a single paragraph.

Guess there's no pleasing everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miiii Biiiii
msg tools
steveowen wrote:

Hopefully that's better. Any Q's fire away. One advantage of the new deck is the absence of Favor cards although this may have the consequence of prolonging the game. Forgot to mention the above game lasted 13 turns!

I also love the new deck. It's amazing to have options. However one big thing that drew me to Root was the fact that it's a shorter duration wargame with more depth than its predecessors. As interesting as it is compared to the base deck, I probably won't play with E&P nearly as often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about time and the new deck. Two of the other games took 8 and 9 turns so not dissimilar to games played with the original deck. As Root players become more experienced they, hopefully, anticipate Favor cards and actively play to prevent their crafting which also tends to slow the game down so perhaps a balance here. I certainly welcome opportunities to mix the game play up more and I hope the new deck will achieve this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
So the new E&P deck has emerged

More art although 11 of the cards are still blank

Rummage Sale has been changed to Swap Meet - not sure why

Tactical Retreat is no more and replaced by False Orders:

"In Birdsong, may discard this card to move half of an enemy players warriors (rounded up) in any clearing ignoring rule"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry T
Sweden
flag msg tools
steveowen wrote:
So the new E&P deck has emerged

More art although 11 of the cards are still blank

Tactical Retreat is no more and replaced by False Orders:

"In Birdsong, may discard this card to move half of an enemy players warriors (rounded up) in any clearing ignoring rule"

The function of Murine Middlemen has been changed from "Whenever another player crafts an item, place it in your Crafted Items box" to "Whenever another player crafts an item, draw 1 card".

Otherwise, I believe you summed it all up!

EDIT: Never mind, I missed a couple of things too. See below!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few cards' crafting costs were lowered. Boat Builders, Tunnels, Charm Offensive.

Propaganda Bureau crafting cost was changed to 3 wild, instead of 1 of each suit.

Boat Builders was changed to from "When moving, you treat rivers as paths." to "You treat rivers as paths."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, they have - how sneaky!

Murine middlemen change seems reasonable rather than hoarding all the crafted items

Not sure why they reduced the cost of Tunnels which are actually quite useful

Ditto for Charm Offensive

Propaganda Bureau change potentially helps the Lizards who can only craft in one suit and also the Vagabond if he is fortunate enough to have 3 hammers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steveowen wrote:

I felt the idea of a rummage sale is more modern than the action depicted in the game so I asked Cole and Nick for a new title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
steveowen wrote:

I felt the idea of a rummage sale is more modern than the action depicted in the game so I asked Cole and Nick for a new title.

Flea Market? As a bonus, it might inspire some fantastic card art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Yearsley
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We lowered the costs on many cards to encourage more crafting. With the backstop of three Saboteurs in the E&P deck, we can afford to make crafting cheaper than in the base deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Took the latest E&P Deck for a drive yesterday. 12 Turns; 2 hours +; WA30, Liz26, Cats & Birds14.

Cats and Birds collapsed. Lizards made good use of Eyrie Emigre and Sanctified two of WA's bases but not enough. WA was helped by Mouse Partisans (when he had no cards!).

So, quite a long game perhaps due to the lack of Favor cards as mentioned previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB L1Z1X
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like League of Adventurous Mice as a way to get more utility out of crafted items that would otherwise just sit there when there is no Vagabond. It's important to note that the items don't refresh after you've used them, there is no rule or mechanism for anyone other than the Vagabond to refresh items, so you are not crafting a pool of extra actions for every round, you're crafting one time use actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.