Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be possible to add a category to Game Information stating whether or not the game is currently in print or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this has been discussed before, but it is pretty difficult to define "out of print" or "in print" unless you know what the stock is at the publisher's/distributor's warehouse. I think the tags serve a useful purpose here, and I assume that most games are in print unless I see the "OOP" tag on a game's page. Or simply look at the BGG ads to see if it's being sold in an online store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you consider it in print if there's a german version available, or only for english versions? Only in US, or worldwide?

Was Zooloretto in print when you couldn't get it anywhere after it won SdJ, since the first print run was sold out, but it was sure there will be another print run in a few months?

Is a game in print if the publisher doesn't have any copies left, but the distributors still have some? If the big distributors don't have any left, but most mail order companies still have?`

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthan Heiselt
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Do you consider it in print if there's a german version available, or only for english versions? Only in US, or worldwide?

Was Zooloretto in print when you couldn't get it anywhere after it won SdJ, since the first print run was sold out, but it was sure there will be another print run in a few months?

Is a game in print if the publisher doesn't have any copies left, but the distributors still have some? If the big distributors don't have any left, but most mail order companies still have?`

Ouch! My head is hurting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthan wrote:
Ouch! My head is hurting!

My brain hurts. I see the how the vagueness of it all can be hard to define. My example would be that I was looking all over for Zooloretto to no avail. It took some searching to find out that it was on "hold" for publishing. Oh well. Thanks for the replies. I have an answer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
What has been pointed out is just how much of a misnomer "in print" is.

It isn't as if there's some printing plant somewhere, churning out copy after copy of Game A, from 8 AM to noon, then Game B from noon to 4 PM, then doing the same thing all over again tomorrow, next week, etc.

When a game gets "printed", there's often components being made at different locations, and an entire game's printing worth is often printed out in one or two days. All those components then have to come together in the same location for game assembly and boxing, and once the entire run is completed in this fashion, it's shipped to the company who commissioned it being printed (and sometimes also directly to certain distributors). (Alternatively, the company responsible for having the game printed is receiving the various components from manufacturers, and assembling the games themselves. Depends on the company.)

So, when someone on BGG says that a game is "in print", odds are very high that it isn't currently being printed at all. Odds are fair that the company still has copies it can ship to distributors. Odds are good that distributors still have copies or can still get copies. Odds are very good you can still find it on store shelves, or listed as "in stock" by online stores.

When they say a game is "out of print", odds are good that stores and their distributors don't have anymore copies, and odds are fair to good that the company responsible for it doesn't also no longer has anymore copies.

Personally, I would prefer a numeric quantification of relative availability, but that might confuse people more even than the nebulous phrase "in print".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.