Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I decided to play a game, I suggested Dos Rios as we hadn't played before. My wife insisted that we play something shorter and that I already knew. I've managed to play Ticket to Ride with two players in under 40 minutes before, and it is very easy to teach, so I pitched it to her. She agreed reluctantly.

I took about 2 minutes explaining to her the three things you can do on a turn, that the game ends when one of us ran out of train cars but that the other player would get one more turn to do what they could, and what the tickets were for.

I don't think she quite understood what the tickets were for as she never drew one...not that she needed to.

We both discarded one ticket each.

My wife started the game, and took the early lead by placing track immediately. I decided to collect train cars early in the game. By the fourth turn, my wife had already completed her first ticket, though I told her she should wait to tell me that at the end of the game (it was somewhat demoralizing, so it may be a good psychological tactic in the future...mental note). By connecting her first ticket, she blocked me on one of my tickets, so I was forced to change my path to connect. While I was trying to repair my segments from her defensive maneuvering, she made a beeline from Vancouver to Montreal and started just placing trains at random to block me where she thought I was playing.

I managed to connect one of my tickets and was one jump from completeing my second at Miami. I had the route from Seattle (and Vancouver) through LA, to elpaso and one jump short of Miami. I drew three tickets and got nothing I could work with, so I cut my losses with a 5 point ticket.
I only needed one car to complete my path to Miami, but my wife played her last four train cards before I could get a car to fit the place and I didn't have enough locomotives to make up for it. I did have longest path, though. It didn't help me in the end, however.

My wife completed her two tickets, Vancouver-Montreal and Portland-Phoenix.
I connected Seattle-LosAngeles but failed to connect LA-Miami and KC-houston.
My wife wound up winning the game 122 to 54.

Upon reflection, I spend too much time trying to get through the longer paths on the board to connect my tickets. I think I should focus more on making central hubs and spurring off to where I need to go. This would make it safer to draw tickets as well.

All in all it was a good game, and I think my wife may have liked it, but she didn't say one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.