Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since beginning on my enjoyable journey with Ra I have begun to realize with time that as much as I have wanted to play it with the full complement of 5 players it seems to be best with less .
A good gaming friend David had been less than impressed with Ra in our 3 5-player outings and I felt that he needed to see the beauty of this game - particularly as he is a clear-thinking , free-wheeling negotiating type in business ...

So I urged him to give it another go as he and my wife Lynley sat down to a 3 player standoff ...

I owned the first epoch - a majority of Pharoahs backed up by 3 Nile Tiles and a flood and a civilization tile was a great start . David picked up a Nile tile and 3 !!!! flood tiles but little else .
By epoch's end I had added 11 , David 2 and Lynley 0 .

As is often the case with Ra the second epoch developed very differently - my Pharoah/ Nile tile advantage grew but Lynley picked up many monuments to bolster her position . Critically , I got 5 tiles with a low sun toward the end of the epoch and cashed i big time ..
I added 18 , Lynley 5 , David 3 .

David started the final epoch with an impressive 6,8,10,12 sun grouping which he soon used to acquire a monument-rich display . I had 2 low and 2 high suns left and after getting some flood and Nile tiles early watched as my opponents set out to build their stocks . I bid my final sun with 3 Ra tiles still yet to be drawn and David picked up several monuments at the end to strengthen his position .

Lynley didn't get her 8th monument and ended up with 2 of 3 of them - enough to cripple her ability to win .

Final Scores : Shane 48 - Lynley 43 - David 40 .

SO - Did David enjoy this ?: Yes , much more so . With so much on his mind business-wise it's hard for him to focus he says but both Lynley and I felt it was more enjoyable as you seem to have more control .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE it with 3. It's probably the most played number of people for Ra in my household. I hated Ra, loved, hated, and now really enjoy the game. It really throws clear thinking euro snobs in a fit because so much of the game is timing, and a gut feeling about the length of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hilla
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: Ra really works well with 3 players. It moves along, with that number of players, at a perfect clip: the game as a whole never ends up running long (although it rarely does with any number of players). But I think it's most fun with 3 players because the epochs can either last a while or end surprisingly quickly, depending on the luck of the draw. The suspense runs high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denverarch wrote:
LOVE it with 3. It's probably the most played number of people for Ra in my household. I hated Ra, loved, hated, and now really enjoy the game. It really throws clear thinking euro snobs in a fit because so much of the game is timing, and a gut feeling about the length of the round.

I have enjoyed Ra immensely since moving on to it from a gateway gamers base - i.e. Settlers , TTR , Carcassonne and others . I agree that so much of it's appeal is living (or dying) on your gut instinct - I hope I don't demean it by saying that in some ways there is a pokerish (is that a word ?) aspect to it though of course what you are bidding with is open for all to see .
I know I am a latecomer as a devotee but it is currently my favourite game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.