United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
halcycat wrote:
SlugFest Games is looking for Booth Staff!

We’ve managed to get into PAX West at the last minute!

Is this related to PAXU or PAX West?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenn - as someone who is also only interested in board games, I'll say that (while Matt's suggested timeline is fantastic) you can absolutely fill up three days with just playing games. My friends and I don't go to live shows, workshops, or participate in tournaments - we just play, play, play.

If you're a little patient, you can even spend most of the convention just playing "First Look" games. I think we only played 2-3 games that weren't in that area (including a big group game). It's especially easy early on Friday. We had our choice. Saturday it gets more and more crowded, but with a little hovering you can get in on games in a fairly short amount of time.

With that said, we were absolutely burnt by the time Sunday afternoon rolled around - but if you just want to get in as many games as possible, it's definitely an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to the con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuyler
msg tools
Billtacular wrote:
Jenn - as someone who is also only interested in board games, I'll say that (while Matt's suggested timeline is fantastic) you can absolutely fill up three days with just playing games. My friends and I don't go to live shows, workshops, or participate in tournaments - we just play, play, play.

If you're a little patient, you can even spend most of the convention just playing "First Look" games. I think we only played 2-3 games that weren't in that area (including a big group game). It's especially easy early on Friday. We had our choice. Saturday it gets more and more crowded, but with a little hovering you can get in on games in a fairly short amount of time.

With that said, we were absolutely burnt by the time Sunday afternoon rolled around - but if you just want to get in as many games as possible, it's definitely an option.

hi! just back from GenCon and was considering PAXU. are First Look/Library games ticketed? is it easy to find others to play with you if you don't come with a squad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For board games, only tournaments are ticketed. The upside to having open play is that you won't pay $2 every time you want to play something, and you can roll from one game to the next, not sit around waiting for the next timeslot to start. Caveat is that if there is something you really must play, prioritize it and go straight for it when the con opens. As day gets busier, be more flexible with what you're looking to play. The name of the game is "never stop playing games and having fun."

As for finding other players, it's not hard in First Look, as everyone wants to try these new games. People are constantly sitting down with strangers there, *especially* if that stranger already knows the rules, so a little homework could pay off big time here. Yeah, there are Enforcers on hand to teach people in First Look, but they get stretched thin during busiest times, so if your goal is to play all the hot Essen games, a plane flight spent reading rules PDFs is a good investment.

Open gaming is a bit harder. It's huge (~10k seats this year) so you've got to put yourself out there a bit more to form a group. There are "Looking for Group" cones you can use, and we may have some additional ways to help people find groups this year, but can't announce yet. There's also a community game scheduling GeekList (which nobody has started yet for 2019) where you can arrange some games in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JSchuyler wrote:

hi! just back from GenCon and was considering PAXU. are First Look/Library games ticketed? is it easy to find others to play with you if you don't come with a squad?

No tickets. Just walk up, find a seat, and play. They have volunteers standing at each game that know the basic rules of the games. They will teach you how to play.

If you get there in the morning you can get a seat fairly easily but later in the day it fills up and you'll have to wait. Unfortunately if the game you want is full you'll have to just have to wait which could be a long time. I recommend going to do something else. Don't waste time trying to play that one game.

There are always others there to play with. You do not need to have a "squad".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Di F.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Super excited! We went last year and had a blast!
Anyone know if there's a thread for a math trade this year? I know they did one last year but I have yet to see one for this year's PAX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I had something to say...what was it?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
People are constantly sitting down with strangers there, *especially* if that stranger already knows the rules, so a little homework could pay off big time here. Yeah, there are Enforcers on hand to teach people in First Look, but they get stretched thin during busiest times, so if your goal is to play all the hot Essen games, a plane flight spent reading rules PDFs is a good investment.

Last year there was a first look geeklist - when can we expect that to be posted? I think it was after Essen last year? Any recommendations for what to look at if I don't want to wait until October?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Msoups999 wrote:
gundabad wrote:
People are constantly sitting down with strangers there, *especially* if that stranger already knows the rules, so a little homework could pay off big time here. Yeah, there are Enforcers on hand to teach people in First Look, but they get stretched thin during busiest times, so if your goal is to play all the hot Essen games, a plane flight spent reading rules PDFs is a good investment.

Last year there was a first look geeklist - when can we expect that to be posted? I think it was after Essen last year? Any recommendations for what to look at if I don't want to wait until October?
I would use BGG's Essen preview (https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/12/spiel-19-preview) and sort by what's hot. We can't post a First Look GeekList until we're sure we've actually got copies of each game, and that means actually going to Essen. It won't exclusively be Essen games though. Always a chance we'll have early copies of other stuff not on the Essen preview, or some games from Tokyo Game Market, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bates
United States
Millville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Some of you may be aware, but for each PAX the community makes some commemorative challenge coins. I'm helping create this year's Unplugged coin, and if you'd like to join in and make some decisions on what it will look like, we've started the process and are voting on the Philly landmark!

The PA forum thread is here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/226699/pax-unplug...

The vote is happening on this Google form: https://rebrand.ly/PAXU19Coin

Edit: So my short link was going to the wrong vote. I fixed it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are badges shipped as they are ordered, or will they all be sent out at once?

Excited, this will be my first con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipped all at once, much closer to the convention's dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bates
United States
Millville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The votes are in! It was a close call between two of the choices and came down to the last few votes!

:: drumroll ::

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Now it's time to vote on the gaming side! What do you like?
https://rebrand.ly/PAXU19Coin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bates
United States
Millville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The votes were overwhelming this round!

It's time to vote for what Skyline you'd like to see! Because of the detail on the buildings, they'd likely be left plain metal, so I grayscaled all the pictures. We could potentially highlight the buildings or a specific building with another metal color, similar to what we did with East's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bates
United States
Millville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a SLIM margin! The landscape side of the coin has been decided!

It's time to vote for what meeples you'd like to see! I will be attempting to have as much color as possible maintained on the painted coin.

This could potentially be the last vote before they're sent off for official artwork and manufacturing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Applications to join the PAX Unplugged staff are now open: https://unplugged.paxsite.com/enforcers

I'd highly encourage folks to give this a look and consider this. If you've been to your share of conventions and are looking for a way to freshen up the experience, there is nothing quite like joining up with the convention staff. It's a a great team and an incredibly rewarding experience.

You all are going to be really thrilled with the plan for Unplugged this year, but some of this is dependent on how much we can grow our staff. If you've ever thought about it, now is the time to jump on.

It's a great way to see the event from the other side, and can also make for a better all-around experience:
- Hourly pay for all time worked
- Use of exhibitor/staff entrance
- Break rooms with place to store your stuff during the con (huge convenience), crash for a bit if you need to, or to hydrate/grab some light refreshments
- Staff after party on Monday evening
- Staff shirt and commemorative pin
- Membership in year-round community of PAX staff around the globe

If folks have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer either here or via GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
PeachOhs wrote:
I went to PAXU 2017 and am looking forward to going again this year. Last time I went I arranged buying a used game through a Flea market Geeklist, so looking forward to doing more of that (I want to trade off games I no longer play).

I've seen some conventions have Trade Tables, where people can put items for sale or trade, is that something that could work at PAXU?

I run reverse auction store "flea markets" at my four small (300 gamers) local cons, and participate in similar markets at the WBC (1800 gamers), PrezCon (800 gamers) and GCOM (100-300 gamers) conventions. They are a huge draw for many gamers, and shopping/hunting is a great way to fill time between events. Unfortunately, it gets difficult to manage the submitted games, especially unsold returns, as the number of games exceeds 1000. I can't imagine how management could arrange space and sorting for a con of PAXU's size, or even how sellers could practically transport their games to the vending space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kitzman
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oooft, that was for West - I was sorely desperate for staff at the time and as a result my own reading skills dwindled to seeing what I wanted to see!

That said, THIS is the one for PAX Unplugged, and we're still looking for booth demoing help;

If you’re attending or would like a good excuse to do so, and you’d like to help out at our booth this year, we’d love to have you! You can learn more and sign up here;

https://forms.gle/B8MaU891WXu7AaGh6

If you can help us out for 12 hours or more, we will provide you with an exhibitor badge!

All booth staff will get;
-A SlugCrew shirt to keep
-An amount of product proportional to their hours in the booth, to keep or trade
-An invitation to our pre-show pizza party and orientation
-Time in the booth counts towards SlugCrew rewards!

Thanks for giving this a look, and we hope to see you at the show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grace-Duff
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Is anyone planning on doing a math trade? I would love to see another one... had a great time with it last year. But I've never set one up so I am a bit intimidated to try one at this scale. Still, I would definitely like to see one again at PAX Unplugged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I had something to say...what was it?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgraceduff wrote:
Is anyone planning on doing a math trade? I would love to see another one... had a great time with it last year. But I've never set one up so I am a bit intimidated to try one at this scale. Still, I would definitely like to see one again at PAX Unplugged.
I'm interested in being a part of it (if I can figure out abecorn) but don't have time to set it up/manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgraceduff wrote:
Robert D

Delaware
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hosted one the last couple years. Last year it went up in late Sept. Keep an eye on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iadena medicore

Massachusetts
msg tools
Poof
badge
You can't see me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only a board gamer and go to PAX U every year. My typical route pretty much involves the expo hall from 10 am to 4 pm. This is where I go demo games from publishers and buy whatever I want. From 4 pm on I typically go to the 1st look and library area and play games until it is time to go back to the hotel. Repeat this for the next 2 days. Food from Reading terminal and Chinatown are great! Not expensive and delicious. I hope you have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, has anyone set up the community game scheduling GeekList? I want to schedule a few games, but I don't want to create a list if there's already one and I just haven't found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone was counting on the Essen preorder service that was announced a few months ago, looks like it's been cancelled.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/92005?commentid=9044234#c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |