Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: PAX Unplugged 2019 - December 6th-8th 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nuttyturnip wrote:
If anyone was counting on the Essen preorder service that was announced a few months ago, looks like it's been cancelled.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/92005?commentid=9044234#c...

Thanks. I’d been wondering if it was still happening, but with all the other game-buying opportunities, it’s not the biggest loss...maybe next year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyMostlyDead wrote:
nuttyturnip wrote:
If anyone was counting on the Essen preorder service that was announced a few months ago, looks like it's been cancelled.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/92005?commentid=9044234#c...

Thanks. I’d been wondering if it was still happening, but with all the other game-buying opportunities, it’s not the biggest loss...maybe next year.

I just followed up in that thread, but will post same reply here for complete info:
"Yes, Funagain was originally slated to have Cardboard Caravan at PAX Unplugged, but backed out over staff bandwidth concerns, given all of the new ventures they are embarking on this year.

The good news is we've got another retailer lined up who intends to bring a large stock of imports back from SPIEL, but we won't be doing pre-orders this year, as we want to ensure the acquisition and shipping of games goes smoothly. Also good news for the other cons, as Funagain will have more bandwidth to focus on fulfilling the pre-orders there. So everbody wins."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
The good news is we've got another retailer lined up who intends to bring a large stock of imports back from SPIEL, but we won't be doing pre-orders this year, as we want to ensure the acquisition and shipping of games goes smoothly. Also good news for the other cons, as Funagain will have more bandwidth to focus on fulfilling the pre-orders there. So everbody wins."

So does that mean someone will have Essen releases for sale at PAX, or are you just talking about acquiring titles for the First Look area?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nuttyturnip wrote:
gundabad wrote:
The good news is we've got another retailer lined up who intends to bring a large stock of imports back from SPIEL, but we won't be doing pre-orders this year, as we want to ensure the acquisition and shipping of games goes smoothly. Also good news for the other cons, as Funagain will have more bandwidth to focus on fulfilling the pre-orders there. So everbody wins."

So does that mean someone will have Essen releases for sale at PAX, or are you just talking about acquiring titles for the First Look area?
Their plan is to have a stock of import titles to sell at the con. We are providing them early notice of games we select for First Look, so they can attempt to stock those titles. Otherwise their operation is separate from our First Look game acquisition (although it can only help us if we need to snag an extra copy of something to improve the FL area).

If the retailer's operation goes off without a hitch at Essen and the games land in the USA (lots of hurdles to clear, room for first-timer mistakes, and then of course customs), we'll make a post formally announcing this, and shedding more light on what they're bringing in.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like someone made one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/261950/pax-unplugged-2019...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else having trouble getting to the PAX flea market geeklist? I'm getting a 'does not exist' message.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new list. bruticus has all sales and other info saved.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/262007/item/7199792#item7...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtacular wrote:
There's a new list. bruticus has all sales and other info saved.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/262007/item/7199792#item7...

Why did this get deleted/moved? That's pretty inconvenient for those of us with items listed and already sold.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Billtacular wrote:
There's a new list. bruticus has all sales and other info saved.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/262007/item/7199792#item7...

Why did this get deleted/moved? That's pretty inconvenient for those of us with items listed and already sold.

Agreed... I posted a sizeable amount of games on the other Geeklist. Are they just gone now? Took me a good 30 mins of work to get them posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that's super annoying. I just posted more stuff yesterday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Yanishevskiy
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Did anyone hear a reason for the new list?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in contact with the owners of both lists (because they lost some of my transaction information) and neither has cited a reason for the migration or lack of a warning (so we could record any pertinent information). It was all really poorly done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone with the know-how register PaxU19 as an event in BGG so I can make marketplace listings that allow me to select "for pickup at Pax Unplugged 2019"?

The only pax unplugged in the system seems to be 2017.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iadena medicore

Massachusetts
msg tools
Poof
badge
You can't see me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Virtual Market work for you?
You can find it here for PAX U 2019. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/262007/item/7203406#item7....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MerelyRachel
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Lyte work? Does it only apply to West or when dates are sold out? Our family can no longer go to PAXU due to an unexpected surgery but we already bought badges. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an official answer here as I'm not part of that team, but Lyte is supposed to let you resell badges with a guarantee of authenticity, and at an algorithm-generated price that is slightly below market rate, to disincentivize scalping. As Unplugged hasn't sold out (yet), you'd be getting less than face value if Lyte was an option. I don't see a Lyte link on the registration page though (not sure how it worked for West) so you may be entirely on your own.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If folks are interested in megagames and escape rooms, we have an exhibitor running one this year that is a hybrid of the two. It is a 60-player 90-minute experience (plus a 15 minute orientation) for $28 per player: http://www.livewarelab.com/helios.html
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
If folks are interested in megagames and escape rooms, we have an exhibitor running one this year that is a hybrid of the two. It is a 60-player 90-minute experience (plus a 15 minute orientation) for $28 per player: http://www.livewarelab.com/helios.html

Is this the same company that ran the mega game(s) last year? I feel bad saying it, but if so, I'll likely avoid it. The people running our game last year were incredibly disorganized, had no sense of the rules of our game, and let it turn into complete disorganized pandemonium. It was my first mega game experience and it wasn't a good one.

That being said, the escape room portion of this is really calling my name. If it's a different company, I think I'll give it another shot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grace-Duff
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
kirkowitz wrote:
gundabad wrote:
If folks are interested in megagames and escape rooms, we have an exhibitor running one this year that is a hybrid of the two. It is a 60-player 90-minute experience (plus a 15 minute orientation) for $28 per player: http://www.livewarelab.com/helios.html

Is this the same company that ran the mega game(s) last year? I feel bad saying it, but if so, I'll likely avoid it. The people running our game last year were incredibly disorganized, had no sense of the rules of our game, and let it turn into complete disorganized pandemonium. It was my first mega game experience and it wasn't a good one.

That being said, the escape room portion of this is really calling my name. If it's a different company, I think I'll give it another shot.

Which session were you in?

My first year at PAXU, I had a somewhat similar experience but it was improved a lot by the megagames being a separate paid event in the second year. It was the same organization running it, but they seemed to have improved both their game mechanics and control a good bit.

It wasn't perfect, but it was really good. And I think mega-games are such a unique experience that it is difficult to say how things will/should go... I certainly wouldn't want to organize one. But I am sorry you didn't have a good time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgraceduff wrote:
Which session were you in?

Don't remember at this point...

After further research it looks like the same company. I asked my group about doing this one, and once they heard that it was the same company they weren't interested anymore. I guess it wasn't just me that walked away feeling totally let down.

There were barely any rules (or adherence to the few that existed), no winners/losers, and it felt like the moderators themselves didn't even know how they were supposed to be running the game. Maybe we just got unlucky, but I'm not willing to spend $30 and 2 hours of my time to risk that experience again. It's a shame.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iadena medicore

Massachusetts
msg tools
Poof
badge
You can't see me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is horrible. Thanks for letting me know. I will rely the message to my group who are interested in signing up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cooke
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkowitz wrote:
bgraceduff wrote:
Which session were you in?

Don't remember at this point...

After further research it looks like the same company. I asked my group about doing this one, and once they heard that it was the same company they weren't interested anymore. I guess it wasn't just me that walked away feeling totally let down.

There were barely any rules (or adherence to the few that existed), no winners/losers, and it felt like the moderators themselves didn't even know how they were supposed to be running the game. Maybe we just got unlucky, but I'm not willing to spend $30 and 2 hours of my time to risk that experience again. It's a shame.

I agree that the megagame at PaxU last year (2018) was a dud. Even though the organizers were available for questions, players were mostly left to figure out the rules on their own. It wasn't a particularly complex game but there were high-level, interacting elements that required more guidance to make them function well. The organizers were cordial and seemed to be trying, but it just didn't work. I met some great gamers there and that was enjoyable. But the event itself wasn't worth the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you all recall if these games were on Fri/Sat or Sunday? We had two separate companies working in the room, one running shorter megagames on Fri/Sat, and another running Watch the Skies on Sunday. The Sunday megagame was a train wreck, so we opted not to bring that company back, and gave the whole weekend to the other group, for which we'd received largely positive feedback.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
Do you all recall if these games were on Fri/Sat or Sunday? We had two separate companies working in the room, one running shorter megagames on Fri/Sat, and another running Watch the Skies on Sunday. The Sunday megagame was a train wreck, so we opted not to bring that company back, and gave the whole weekend to the other group, for which we'd received largely positive feedback.

Unfortunately ours was on Saturday. It was definitely the company running the one this year.

Again, maybe we just had bad luck, but it was enough to make us all not interested this year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grace-Duff
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
gundabad wrote:
Do you all recall if these games were on Fri/Sat or Sunday? We had two separate companies working in the room, one running shorter megagames on Fri/Sat, and another running Watch the Skies on Sunday. The Sunday megagame was a train wreck, so we opted not to bring that company back, and gave the whole weekend to the other group, for which we'd received largely positive feedback.

The Sunday game was Watch The Skies, wasn't it? That would be a disaster! That's an all day game. I nearly went to that based on the reputation of the game itself. I had not considered how the game presenter would affect it.

I am still smitten with the idea of megagames though. Any idea what megagames will be at Pav Unplugged this year?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |