9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cavalry Sabre + Prehensile Tail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rowan Doncaster
msg tools
Hello,

I know this has been semi-answered a few years back in some previous posts but I just wanted clarification on a few rulings with this -

As I understand it I can fire a pistol and use the cavalry sabre and crit with both attacks when it's my hero's turn. I just have a few questions regarding the use of it. All the below would be if I had prehensile tail (extra hand).

1) If I have a prehensile tail, can I use 2 x melee weapons (one being the sabre) and a pistol and still crit with everything? (And the melee weapons get each others bonuses since "Dual Wielding"?)

2) Can I use the Cavalry Sabre and a Shotgun and crit with everything? I presume so since this is just a melee attack of the sabre and a ranged attack with the shotgun.

3) Could I use the Cavalry Sabre, a pistol and a shield and still crit with the sabre and shield?*

Thanks for any help and answers.

*edit, meant pistol here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
seraph23 wrote:
1) If I have a prehensile tail, can I use 2 x melee weapons (one being the sabre) and a pistol and still crit with everything? (And the melee weapons get each others bonuses since "Dual Wielding"?)

2) Can I use the Cavalry Sabre and a Shotgun and crit with everything? I presume so since this is just a melee attack of the sabre and a ranged attack with the shotgun.

3) Could I use the Cavalry Sabre, a pistol and a shield and still crit with the sabre and shield?
1, 2, 3) Yes, yes, and yes.

When you have the Cavalry Sabre, you're making two different attacks each turn (ranged and melee). Those work like normal, and can crit in all the situations described above.

If you have Cavalry Sabre and two pistols (with prehensile tail), then your ranged attack will be unable to crit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if I've over explaining, but the wording of Question 1) gives me some doubts. You are aware that multiple melee weapons don't give additional attacks normally (though they can of course add to your Combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex is raising a good point.

Your hero has a Combat value (usually 2, but some mutations and abilities can increase your base combat). Weapons may add to your Combat value. It's the amount of Combatthat determines the number of dice you roll for your melee attack.

So if I've got a hero with Combat 2 and two Feathered Hatchets that are +1 Combat & +1 damage each, my hero rolls 4 dice and each hit does D6 + 2 damage. The hero may critical on all the hits because the rule for no criticals on dual wielding only applies to ranged weapons.

Remember that Free Attacks are different from normal attacks and don't benefit from other Combat Bonuses. For example, if I had a knife that granted me a Free Attack, I couldn't use the Hatchets' bonuses on the knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Doncaster
msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:
Alex is raising a good point.

Your hero has a Combat value (usually 2, but some mutations and abilities can increase your base combat). Weapons may add to your Combat value. It's the amount of Combatthat determines the number of dice you roll for your melee attack.

So if I've got a hero with Combat 2 and two Feathered Hatchets that are +1 Combat & +1 damage each, my hero rolls 4 dice and each hit does D6 + 2 damage. The hero may critical on all the hits because the rule for no criticals on dual wielding only applies to ranged weapons.

Remember that Free Attacks are different from normal attacks and don't benefit from other Combat Bonuses. For example, if I had a knife that granted me a Free Attack, I couldn't use the Hatchets' bonuses on the knife.

Thanks for the responses guys. My main query was just the ability to use both a melee attack and a ranged attack (due to the Cavalry Sabre + extra random melee weapon) in the same turn and be able to crit on both. I understand the abilities of the melee weapons affect each other and stack but the ranged is a separate attack completely so doesn't get the bonuses.

As an example I have a Gunslinger with a prehensile tail. His base combat is 2. If I equip a Cavalry Sabre and a Feathered Hatchet and The Judge pistol. I can then do -

3 x Melee attacks that can crit with +1 damage and
3 x ranged shots that can also crit.

That's all correct, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dada Pawa
msg tools
To be more precise (the terms are kind of important) you will be allowed to do in that specific situation:
A melee attack; Roll 3 Combat Hit that can crit with +1 damage and
A ranged attack; Roll the pistol 3 Shots that can also crit.

The way it is worded in the rule book, you loose crits with ranged weapons as soon as you shoot with both ranged weapons. You could keep 2 ranged weapons equipped, only fire one, and not loose the crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
seraph23 wrote:
As an example I have a Gunslinger with a prehensile tail. His base combat is 2. If I equip a Cavalry Sabre and a Feathered Hatchet and The Judge pistol. I can then do -

Yup, looks correct. But, uh... are you sure the gunslinger has a base combat of 2? Gunslingers start with combat 1.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, it's just easily overlooked since all (?) other characters start with combat 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dada Pawa
msg tools
Wow, you are right! I never noticed he had a base combat of 2! I though the only hero who had that was the Orphan. Guess we never really played with him xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Doncaster
msg tools
Panner wrote:
seraph23 wrote:

Yup, looks correct. But, uh... are you sure the gunslinger has a base combat of 2? Gunslingers start with combat 1.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, it's just easily overlooked since all (?) other characters start with combat 2.

Haha, in that moment I was typing the example I honestly couldn't remember so took a punt, but yes even with 1 the ruling would be the same, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls