Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi all, currently sat on the fence about whether to back this or not. We own and enjoy Lisboa, my wife and I play 2p, albeit infrequently due to the time commitment. It's a fine game, and it's pretty much the heaviest euro game we own. We also own and enjoy Terraforming Mars (which hits the table more frequently), so the Mars theme would work. I guess I have a nagging doubt (perhaps unfairly) having seen the KS for the game, that it might not feel that much different to playing Lisboa? Grateful for thoughts from anyone who has got their head around the rules (of both games) commenting on whether this will feel completely different or not?

Thanks
Nige

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played both... a lot...
I did the official tutorial and playthrough of On Mars and have been writing the rulebook for the past 4 months

I can sort of see the similarities, a bit, but not too much.

Sure, you are all collectively building one thing. But how you do that is completely different. How you score points is completely different. How the buildings produce is completely different.

The action selection mechanism is... completely different.

There is no money, no influence, so yeah, I think the comparisons are very little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed you are in the UK. If you are in Devon tomorrow, I’m running demos of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Paul, alas, I'll be heading north into Northumberland over the weekend, so, miles and miles away from Devon! But I thank you for the offer, appreciated.

Thanks for allaying my concern, that's really helpful insight.

Finally, my wife and I found your video instructions regarding how to play Lisboa extremely useful, it helped accelerate our learning of the game significantly.

All the best
Nige

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Bulbous also tapered?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see once again Paul’s involvement in the project. Paul’s upcoming rules video for On Mars was the tipping point for us to back the game.

His rules video for Brass:Lancaster is phenomenal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0×××{}=====>
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Noticed you are in the UK. If you are in Devon tomorrow, I’m running demos of the game

Paul, you are a wicked great guy! Have a fun weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.