Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...I won NR core set (v. 1) in a maths trade the other day. Let's ignore the fact that I'm a little late to the party, and instead celebrate the fact that I showed up at all.

A few games in with the recommended Kate -v- Jinteki decks with me as the corp and my eldest as the runner. I've come across the very helpful advice on playing with the Jinteki deck here and was just wondering if anyone had put together a similar one for Kate that I could push in front of my eldest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like that probably exists there somewhere. But key points to take with you:

- Core 1.0 cards don’t synergise well within standard decks. You need to be aware that some cards are just very situational or flat out bad
- Shaper’s primary power is Magnum Opus. You need it out as quick as possible and once you have it, things are leaning towards your favor. That’s your first goal.
- Your second goal is take out all your breakers. No surprise there. The problem with that is that you need 6 MU total for this, while runner starts with 4. You need 2 for Magnum Opus, 2 for Battering Ram, and one each for Gordian Blade and Pipeline.
- Remember what I said about bad cards? Toolbox is one. It’s tempting and it gives you that 2 MU needed, but it’s almost always the wrong choice.
The tempo hit is way too big. You almost always want 2 of Akamatsu’s Chips, unless you don’t draw into them and you are able to use Modded (and Kate’s ability) to lower the install cost by 4. Use it for Magnum Opus too, by the way.
- Don’t use Crypsis. It’s a liability.
- Maker’s Eye is another Shaper’s staple. Hold onto them and make it count. Remember that it can get you into trouble against Jinteki, so be prepared for the worst.
- Pipeline (as least efficient) is your primary target for Personal Touch.
- Tinkering can be strong but you need to be proficient at the game to time it out well. Before you get there, don’t worry about it too much.
- Don’t be afraid to overdraw. Remember your goal: Magnum Opus and breakers. Everything else is either secondary or distraction at best. Don’t be afraid to dump it.
- Net Shield is usually not worth it, but it can save you before you learn when you can sacrifice cards for net damage.

Also be aware that these are generalizations to a certain extent. Games can go south and you have to improvise and leave the plan. But they should work most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Two followup questions, if I may :

1. Why hasten to get Magnum Opus out? Is it because, as a program, it's immune to a resource attack that would potentially scupper Armitage Codebusting before you've had a chance to get the credits off it? If you can get two AC's out, then that's the equivalent of spending 12 clicks on MO?

2. Why is Crypsis a liability? Expense in spending a click to prevent having to trash it? I think we played Crypsis wrong when it first came out - my eldest spent (say) six credits during a normal turn (without taking a click) but in retrospect, presumably he should have played them during a run and removed them at the end of the run? Assuming Crypsis hadn't been trashed after an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Because it basically enables everything else. Money is important. Of course, if you happen to have a good surge of Armitages and Sure Gambles, by all means, use them as soon as they come. But these are limited resources. MO, on the other hand, once is out, it’s a thorn in corp’s side. We are talking about the general plan - econ cards, in general, aren’t your game plan, that’s just something that always happens in the game. MO, while also being economy card is special in that it stays with you. So you consider priorities between the most important cards. The rest just naturally flows in.

2. Yes. It costs a lot to install and a lot to use (terrible base str). Also loading Crypsis all the time slows you down significantly. In the general flow of the game, it is just too slow and inefficient. I’m not sure I understand your other question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you answered the other point which is that you have to load Crypsis for each run to give it strength - we played that he loaded it with six credits and it stayed at six strength forever, in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesbennett wrote:
I think you answered the other point which is that you have to load Crypsis for each run to give it strength - we played that he loaded it with six credits and it stayed at six strength forever, in effect.

Not each run, each ice that you want to break. Only the typical Shaper breakers, like Gordian Blade, keep their strength until the end of the run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, goodness. It just gets worse. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to using its click ability to put a virus token on it, preventing it from being thrashed after being used to break ice. As for regular breaking, as others explained, you spend money during run and for each ICE separately, unless the card says otherwise (like Gordian Blade). So you can see that Crypsis is very expensive. In theory, its advantage is that it can break any ICE, but it’s just hard to justify it vs regular breakers, when you compare raw numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cry Of Frustration
msg tools
mb
Yeah, very common beginner mistake: unless an icebreaker says "for the remainder of the run", it resets back to base strength after each encounter with a piece of ice.

I'd like to actually suggest that you don't start with those two decks. Something like Criminal vs HB or Weyland will give you a far easier time, and a better idea of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Bennett
United Kingdom
North Duffield
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CryOfFrustration wrote:
Yeah, very common beginner mistake: unless an icebreaker says "for the remainder of the run", it resets back to base strength after each encounter with a piece of ice.

I'd like to actually suggest that you don't start with those two decks. Something like Criminal vs HB or Weyland will give you a far easier time, and a better idea of the game.

Well, that boat's sailed a little - we had another game yesterday evening (maintaining our roles with him as runner and me as corp with Kate / Jinteki).

There was a degree of semi-cooperativeness in it, as we discussed why I may be doing things (is that card in a remote really an agenda, and if it's Project Junebug with two advancements, what's the downside / what's the probability if he makes a run on HQ that he finds something that damages him -v- something that wins the game) and I deliberately didn't pay 4 credits to flatline him with a Snare just 10 minutes in.

Each time we play more bits click into place, so I think we're going to have a couple more plays like this, then switch roles, and then look at other factions once we're both comfortable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesbennett wrote:

There was a degree of semi-cooperativeness in it, as we discussed why I may be doing things (is that card in a remote really an agenda, and if it's Project Junebug with two advancements, what's the downside / what's the probability if he makes a run on HQ that he finds something that damages him -v- something that wins the game) and I deliberately didn't pay 4 credits to flatline him with a Snare just 10 minutes in.

This is a *fantastic* way to learn/play. There is a ton of subtleties in Android: Netrunner and before you're aware of them, games can feel a bit frustrating/unfair. Discussing the game state is a great idea to tackle this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cry Of Frustration
msg tools
mb
gilesbennett wrote:

Each time we play more bits click into place, so I think we're going to have a couple more plays like this, then switch roles, and then look at other factions once we're both comfortable!

It's a hard game to get your head around, despite the simplicity of its basic rules, so yeah, it's going to take a few plays before it finally clicks, as you put it. I promise you it'll be worth the feeling when it does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.