Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

I love the game Gaia Project but I think it deserves a fresher, more readable design as good as the gameplay. I decided to work on a graphic overhaul of the game for print & play / kickstarter / print at home. My design intentions are as follows:

1) Get rid of all the dated looking beveled edges and other areas of boring solid color.

2) Recreate the icon language of the game ( for clarity ) paying attention to familiarity of gamers to the Gaia Project and Terra Mystica "design language"

3) Give more room for the race and planet art.

4) The race ability and institute abilities are complicated enough as to not be properly represented by icons in the game. Add text for these

6) Show names for the buildings.

7) In general remove most superfluous design elements while maintaining a sci-fi style.

8) Clarify the "receive a research tile when you upgrade to a lab / academy"

9) Maintain compatibility with existing acrylic overlays.

Google Drive folder for in progress files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yCW8I-5VoHhAbjs-zRqrAk8oFc...
CURRENT VERSION----------------------

* Corrected a great many things especially color rendering
* Converted all art from RGB > CMYK
* Removed many subpar faction placeholders
* Removed sexy Ambas, but made another faction sexy
* Ivits ability now ends with x7
* Each faction color has it's own background
* Aligned resource track properly with overlay
* Fixed Bescod building pictures Academy <-> Planetary Institute
* Reversed orientation of Trading Station
* Fixed spelling of Satellite on Ivits Faction Description

Blue

Brown

Yellow

Red

Grey

Orange

White

Poll: Faction Art
What do you think of the faction art for each faction?
  LOVE IT Pretty nice Meh Hate it
Terran
Lantid
Ambas
Taklons
Xenos
Gleens
Hadsch Hallas
Ivits
Firaks
Bescods
Geodens
Bal T'acks
Nevlas
Itar
      84 answers
Poll created by Olagarro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wendelin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Graphic Overhaul - Work In Progress
These are very nice work. Much clearer than the existing game boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed.

Great work.

I too love this game and will definitely download,laminate and use your gameboards. If you manage to complete them all....

Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Schertler
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great, I'll also print and mount them for sure (to join my mounted set of MoO faction boards, I love doing these little projects). Thanks for what was obviously a lot of work.

The only note I have is that it costs 4 power to get a QIC, not 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Switzer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice Work! Definitely heading in the right direction! May I offer a couple of suggestions - purely my personal preferences which you may take on board or ignore as you see fit.

The requirement to fit the existing acrylic overlay is hampering your redesign. I suggest you drop that restriction and use the space even better.

You do not need the little (+) symbol or the little(-) symbol. (3power > 1ore is cleaner than (-)3power > (+)1ore) Just define the triangle as 'subtract the left resource to gain the right resource.'

The new Burn Power icon is marginally less clear than the original. Or maybe I'm just used to it. At least the original is spatially located so the icon fits the action.

The new 'receive a research tile when you upgrade to a lab / academy' is not yet clearer. Perhaps something on the right of the panels???

I like your redesign. I hope I have not caused offence by suggesting further changes. All the best!

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MichaelDSwitzer wrote:
Nice Work! Definitely heading in the right direction! May I offer a couple of suggestions - purely my personal preferences which you may take on board or ignore as you see fit.

The requirement to fit the existing acrylic overlay is hampering your redesign. I suggest you drop that restriction and use the space even better.

You do not need the little (+) symbol or the little(-) symbol. (3power > 1ore is cleaner than (-)3power > (+)1ore) Just define the triangle as 'subtract the left resource to gain the right resource.'

The new Burn Power icon is marginally less clear than the original. Or maybe I'm just used to it. At least the original is spatially located so the icon fits the action.

The new 'receive a research tile when you upgrade to a lab / academy' is not yet clearer. Perhaps something on the right of the panels???

I like your redesign. I hope I have not caused offence by suggesting further changes. All the best!

M

Great feedback thanks! The reason Im using the + and - is that I hate the sparkle for when you get a resources and the down arrow for spending a resource. Let me know if you have any other ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These certainly look more updated, however I don't see anything wrong with the current ones

* That being said, I'm not a fan of transparent backgrounds. I think solid colors with defined outlines are clearer.

* The PI section can be made thinner so that the academy and research lab sections align with each other and maybe center the contents instead of aligning them to the right (PI slot, TS slots).

* The Gaia / power areas are not that clear which I think can be solved with point #1.

* There's the empty space at the bottom which I think can be used / optimized somehow but right now nothing comes to mind.

I think that's all I can think about right now.

If you want and have a PSD file could you share it to play with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:
These certainly look more updated, however I don't see anything wrong with the current ones

* That being said, I'm not a fan of transparent backgrounds. I think solid colors with defined outlines are clearer.

* The PI section can be made thinner so that the academy and research lab sections align with each other and maybe center the contents instead of aligning them to the right (PI slot, TS slots).

* The Gaia / power areas are not that clear which I think can be solved with point #1.

* There's the empty space at the bottom which I think can be used / optimized somehow but right now nothing comes to mind.

I think that's all I can think about right now.

If you want and have a PSD file could you share it to play with it?

I need the space in the PI section to describe some of the more complicated PI effects. I'm working on another version and will consider some of this stuff, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
humeral wrote:
These are great, I'll also print and mount them for sure (to join my mounted set of MoO faction boards, I love doing these little projects). Thanks for what was obviously a lot of work.

The only note I have is that it costs 4 power to get a QIC, not 3.

Fixed, see above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MichaelDSwitzer wrote:

M

I have added a new version, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It keeps improving!

I think the tech tile gain is completely clear now.

1 I like the addition of the discard power to charge power reminder but I would also leave it on the free actions section.

2 The Gaia / power areas are still too faint IMO, e.g. the green arrow is a little hard to notice. Also I would drop the border and keep the solid color, or make it the same width as the slots' borders.

3 If you need the extra room for the PI, why not make the outline take the full available space regardless the amount of text?

4 With the gained space from the terraform changes you can align the RL area with the academy one and resize accordingly.

5 Maybe instead of the slash on the academies a straight, longer line would look better?

6 The Gaiaformers area could use the same style it had on the previous version, without wrapping the Transdim planet.

7 It looks like there's a white gradient to the right of the structures' power value icons, I'd drop that an leave only solid colors.

8 The structures' power value icons could be a little bigger to make it clearer that they are power icons?

Just my opinion, feel free to take / ignore as you deem appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:
It keeps improving!

3 If you need the extra room for the PI, why not make the outline take the full available space regardless the amount of text?

Some races have an item to the left of their PI that they get even without building the PI, so I cant make it the whole width

I'll look at the rest of these, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazing!
What about "not" using the original faction images? And using some concept art from the web?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice, but as others have said the alien faction art is the greater ugliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One big Manko is that you lose language independence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Yes, this was part of my design decisions. The racial power and Institute power are complicated enough as to nessesitate this. I will get it translated into a few languages at the end of the project. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Schertler
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is worth changing, but looking at these it struck me that it's a little confusing that the "spend power" icon has the black arrow going counter clockwise (and placed over the top of the power token) but the actual arrow in the bowl area is the other way. Maybe change the spend icon to have the arrow in the same position relative to the power token as the one between bowls 3 and 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
humeral wrote:
I don't know if this is worth changing, but looking at these it struck me that it's a little confusing that the "spend power" icon has the black arrow going counter clockwise (and placed over the top of the power token) but the actual arrow in the bowl area is the other way. Maybe change the spend icon to have the arrow in the same position relative to the power token as the one between bowls 3 and 1.

Nice idea! I was simply following the protocol of the original game. Boom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are gorgeous. The only thing I would change would be the numerals. They seem stark and disconnected from the rest of the aesthetic. The font and blending of the numerals on the current (original) boards are actually pretty good.

And I agree it might be interesting to see a version without the alien figures.

Thanks for your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

Yes, this was part of my design decisions. The racial power and Institute power are complicated enough as to nessesitate this. I will get it translated into a few languages at the end of the project. Thank you!

If you need help with translating in german, I will gladly add text in german for the powers from the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fizban Yan
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
Olagarro wrote:
MichaelDSwitzer wrote:

M

Great feedback thanks! The reason Im using the + and - is that I hate the sparkle for when you get a resources and the down arrow for spending a resource. Let me know if you have any other ideas

Based Michael Switzer's comments and suggestions, I think the below may be of value:

1, I agree that the acrylic overlay layout can be somehow abandoned if you are creating a new player's board. For example, I think it is not needed to have 15 resources spots on the track, as we seldom get more than 10 ores, let alone knowledge. The starting credit of 15 will easily be achieved by 10 and 5. This way each spots can be slightly bigger to give rooms to multiple resources.

2, I think the (+) and (-) is a good idea to give a unified clarity. But with the tech tiles and scoring tiles etc, new players will get confused, while experienced players do not really need the clarity.

3, The lab/academic building reward of "tech tile" can be changed to the tech tile shape maybe? It took me a while to figure out where did you state the reward of a tech tile.

In addition:

1, The space-traveling distance would be better iconised that the "+2" be put on the arrow instead of the hex.

2, The QIC is a kind of resource, would it be better that we put it in the resource track like the credit, knowledge and ores?

In summary, great work! I am looking forward to the final product and definitely will use it instead of the original ones. I unfortunately ruined the original boards when I sprayed acrylic clear paints on, and stuck all together before they were completely dry. T_T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1, I agree that the acrylic overlay layout can be somehow abandoned if you are creating a new player's board. For example, I think it is not needed to have 15 resources spots on the track, as we seldom get more than 10 ores, let alone knowledge. The starting credit of 15 will easily be achieved by 10 and 5. This way each spots can be slightly bigger to give rooms to multiple resources.

That would definitely change the game
There are a lot cases where you have more then 10 ore or knowledge and also where you have more then 20 coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Quote:

That would definitely change the game
There are a lot cases where you have more then 10 ore or knowledge and also where you have more then 20 coins

+1

In round 6 you sometimes have A LOT OF resources. And if you grab the 9 knowlegde, you already have 9 immediately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ressless wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

If you need help with translating in german, I will gladly add text in german for the powers from the manual.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fizzend wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
MichaelDSwitzer wrote:

M

Based Michael Switzer's comments and suggestions, I think the below may be of value:

2, I think the (+) and (-) is a good idea to give a unified clarity. But with the tech tiles and scoring tiles etc, new players will get confused, while experienced players do not really need the clarity.

3, The lab/academic building reward of "tech tile" can be changed to the tech tile shape maybe? It took me a while to figure out where did you state the reward of a tech tile.

In addition:

1, The space-traveling distance would be better iconised that the "+2" be put on the arrow instead of the hex.

2, The QIC is a kind of resource, would it be better that we put it in the resource track like the credit, knowledge and ores?

In summary, great work! I am looking forward to the final product and definitely will use it instead of the original ones. I unfortunately ruined the original boards when I sprayed acrylic clear paints on, and stuck all together before they were completely dry. T_T

Take a look at the updated design ( the last one) also I very much will not be making fundamental changes to the game like reducing amount of resources or changing how qic are accounted for. Thanks for your input though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.