Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Gaia Project Graphic Overhaul - Work In Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the glossy finish is a downgrade from the previous version; also the corners look too sharp now.

I liked the old font more but this one looks clearer but maybe increase the kerning just a little.

The bowls look better now with the regular font instead of italics.

Research labs and academies are aligned now

I like how the buildings section are now one big area without being split by a vertical line.

This one feels more 'purple' than 'blue' if that even makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great. I know I'm in the minority in missing the oval power areas. I think the transparency of these areas could be increased by 50% and would look fabulous. Let's feel some of that outer space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
This looks great. I know I'm in the minority in missing the oval power areas. I think the transparency of these areas could be increased by 50% and would look fabulous. Let's feel some of that outer space!

I am with you here on the oval bowls, plus hexagonal doesn't make sense at the free action spaces and the tech board area and many other places still depict them as oval and may lead to confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
its too grossy for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love how it has all come together Aaron! Without another single change I'd gladly back/print these today for use.

I also prefer the ovals to the angled bowls, but that's a minor quibble. I like the angled too, I just liked the original oval ones more. The angled has a distinctly futuristic feel which is cool, but the ovals with the flared edging seemed more cosmic and evoked "movement of energy/power" more to me.

Only suggestions I can even offer at this point are:

- Increase the vividness to the purple and green in the background of the power bowls.

- Add a fine white line around them like all the other boxes in the design.

- Increase the contrast of the roman numerals and circled 4's to bring them in line, or closer to, all the other numerals and text in the design.

Love the new placeholder art as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
now i understand why this gloss doesnt work for me!

The gloss you put on those boxes gives a protruding feel. However those boxes, especially the power pool, are supposed to hold something. The protruding look feels kinda odd.

Btw, the terran girl looks awesome. Thank you for the new art. One minor nitpicking though. The girl doesnt look like a space terraformer to me. It would be better to look like avengers’ valkyrie than the aladdin princess in space suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0 mparmpa
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very very beautiful!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
The glossy/beveled finish looks good but goes against the clean design. Maybe keep it but make it more subtle by decreasing the contrast between the black/white halfs?
The rest is perfect.

(And I think this was mentioned - the order of free actions in the Terran’s Planetary Institute should be the same as in the free actions area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really nice, also the new placeholder (though for Terrans, I still like the idea of depicting the Terrans by a guy with a beard .

I prefer the bowls in hex shape - please keep them this way.

The hexes and building rectangles are darker at the bottom than at the top, which doesn't look nice to me - I assume that's what others mean by glossy/beveled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Guys, the hex shape on the bowls is staying, it got voted for:

Poll
How much do you like this compared to the oval shapes?
I like this more than ovals
I don't have a strong preference one way
I like the ovals more
      70 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

I'm trying to make everyone mostly happy with this and its extremely challenging when you guys ask for something that we have already had a vote on. I don't know how else to do this other than have two versions and I'm already doing a lot of work.

I'm going to take a few days off this and continue next week. Have a good weekend.

---

Lets vote on power bowl transparency:

Wretched Git wrote:
... I think the transparency of these areas could be increased by 50% and would look fabulous. Let's feel some of that outer space!

NuMystic wrote:

- Increase the vividness to the purple and green in the background of the power bowls...

Poll
Power bowls
Subtle and translucent
Vivid and a bit more opaque
      24 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

- Increase the contrast of the roman numerals and circled 4's to bring them in line, or closer to, all the other numerals and text in the design. ...

VS

Wretched Git wrote:
...One thing I liked about the power areas on the original boards was the extremely faded Roman numerals and starting-token indicators. They seemed to "get out of the way" after setup. I liked, too, that Area I was completely transparent (or black), and the other areas less and less so. I think it might work well on these boards too...

Poll
Setup icons and roman numerals in power bowls
Subtle (like it is now)
Vivid / Opaque like all the rest of the numbers / icons
      21 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
I'm trying to make everyone mostly happy with this and its extremely challenging when you guys ask for something that we have already had a vote on. I don't know how else to do this other than have two versions and I'm already doing a lot of work.
Don't feel challenged: Of the 18 who voted for oval, 5 reiterated their opinion, maybe because they hoped they can make you reconsider. They lost, and not everyone can cope with that... OTOH, of the 33 who like it the way shown in your last version, only one (me ) felt the need to reassure your good solution on the bowls; and of course I couldn't resist to state my desired changes of some other aspect.

You can expect that for almost every single thing in your great new design, somebody will probably express their disagreement even long after the decision how to do it has been resolved (either by vote, or because you as the designer know best). The silent majority will still like what you're creating. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Don't feel challenged

This! Please. At least for myself, I actually forgot (or perhaps missed) that this specific thing had been voted on, and when I came back to see others commenting, thought it was currently on the table for discussion.

Remember that while you're working on it daily, many here are just popping back into the thread after days or even weeks away from it.

As noted above, while I prefer the ovals, I like both and am exceptionally impressed with how things turned out after all your hard work.

Don't mistake ongoing feedback and constructive criticism for a lack of overall enthusiasm by the vast majority! The larger the group, the more impossible it becomes to get even close to 100% consensus. Just because it's a mistake to discount critique altogether with the maxim "can't please everyone", doesn't make it any less true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What Dante said. And remember above all to please yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
You could have done whatever you want with your design. But you choose to listen us. Thank you! Cant wait to see your next update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, to wrap this up, let's be honest here: You could do everything "wrong", i.e. do everything opposed to what the majority wants here and we'd all still love your product because you simply started it all on such a high level. It's awesome anyway, we're just working on the details!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
You can double wrap the scoring track so there is an inner track and an outer track. Make the outer track 0-49 with larger space since players spend more time here and could have more tokens together and the inner track can be 50-99 with smaller spaces and 0=100=200. Place a spare satellite on 0 whenever you pass it.

Great idea! I like the multiples of 50 with a marker as well, let's vote!

Poll
We will try to move the scoring track from the research board to the scoring board. In order to do this, we must limit the amount of score spaces you can be on (fitting 100 on the small board is not feasible.) Should we:
Have a single track around the edge of the board 0-49 with a place to mark how many times you pass it (max of 300? - 6 spaces)
Have 2 tracks, one inside the other. One track is 0-49, with the one inside it 50-99 with a place to mark how many times you pass 100 (max of 300? - 3 spaces)
      24 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

So I play tested 100, 50 and 2 tracks of 50 on a 300mmx190mm board (Player board size) and it just did not work.

I think we need to keep the research board as the size it was originally and keep 100 spaces around the outside edge. We will however move the scoring board from the weird round shape it is now to the size of a player board. This is going to make shipping / box size a bit weird as all our components will be 300x190 except the research board, but I'm sure we will end up using that space. I have designed enough packaging in my life to know this is not a showstopper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
any prototype that can show us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about having the Research Board be a tri-fold board that is 3x the size of a player board? That's not quite 50% larger than it is now since the Research board is a little wider than a player board. Also each tech step would be closer to a a square instead of a rectangle. You can turn the Research board and tech tiles under each track to have a landscape orientation instead of the current portrait orientation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
How about having the Research Board be a tri-fold board that is 3x the size of a player board? That's not quite 50% larger than it is now since the Research board is a little wider than a player board. Also each tech step would be closer to a a square instead of a rectangle. You can turn the Research board and tech tiles under each track to have a landscape orientation instead of the current portrait orientation.

Great idea! It almost sounds like you were already planning this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:
any prototype that can show us?

Okay I tried changing some things around and it's moderately more usable but it's still very crowded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Are the circles in the middle representing the types of planets every players has? This is a very good idea!

Can you also put the turn order card onto one of those boards as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:
Are the circles in the middle representing the types of planets every players has? This is a very good idea!

Can you also put the turn order card onto one of those boards as well?

I was going to use the top right and left to show the scoring legend:

I don't think there is room for the turn order, there should be room on the research board though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have some fun news too, I just tired out Space Engine http://spaceengine.org/ and instantly got the commercial license that allows produced works to be used commercially. I will be using this for space backgrounds and possibly planets. The space backgrounds I have been using are layered images from various sources.

If you guys are into space, check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.