Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't like the 50 score increments though. This is around the Isle of Skye scoring board and it can be confusing, especially with the expansions since they increase scoring over 100 and even 150 when the base game scoring is usually 55-100. So probably keep the scoring track around the Research Board.

I do like that setup you have for the Scoring board without the scoring track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love the 50 scoring board
It looks great and clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the prototype picture, I realize that the double track of 50 each looks really ugly to me and is confusing. Seeing it, I very much prefer to stick with the 100 track around the reasearch board, and if that really isn't doable, a single 50 track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the double wrap doesn't look as good due to the space constraints, and I suggested it! Trust me when I say that using a 50 scoring track is not good. It will get confusing when one player is at 75 and another player is at 26. Yes, this happens quite frequently. Yes, the player with 26 can still beat the player with 75 depending on the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please put the 100 VP back around the tech board.

The 50 VP track is not functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
I also think that 100 scoring track is better because around 50 vp is where vp gets a lot of adjustment due to power leeching. I guess nobody wants to put the 50vp marker just to remove it later in the same round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Yeah, the double wrap doesn't look as good due to the space constraints, and I suggested it! Trust me when I say that using a 50 scoring track is not good. It will get confusing when one player is at 75 and another player is at 26. Yes, this happens quite frequently. Yes, the player with 26 can still beat the player with 75 depending on the setup.
its really easy to spot, as there are places for the multiplier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Jack Spirio wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

The point is the vp in gaia isnt moving one way. I personally dont really want to move from 49 to 0 and add a 50 vp marker and then later in the same round going back from 0 to 49 and remove the vp marker just for power leeching.

100 vp track doesnt have this problem cos people dont often opt for power at such moment of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the consensus is to keep the 100 track on the research board and I agree after prototyping this. Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

The point is the vp in gaia isnt moving one way. I personally dont really want to move from 49 to 0 and add a 50 vp marker and then later in the same round going back from 0 to 49 and remove the vp marker just for power leeching.

100 vp track doesnt have this problem cos people dont often opt for power at such moment of a game.

Agreed with aquilinx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
aquilinx wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Agreed with aquilinx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
The tiles in the game look shit also (Only the map doesnt look shit to me). Is it too much to ask for a new design? If you do so you can set yourself free from the strange shape of the round bonus tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Constructive criticisms can be done without derogatory statements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
I apologize if you find my comment offensive.

The OG art might look great in the eyes of most people. I personally dont hate it. Just think Gaia Project deserve better.

I have played 200+ games of Gaia Project. I always wish they would ever release a deluxe or anniversary edition of this game with new art. One day this guy Olagarro showed up. His work so far has exceeded all my expectation.

All I wish for right now is he would one day finish this project, and also someone please make an expansion of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can say something is bad, awful, terrible, etc in your opinion for these reasons and then something else is better like this for those reasons. Using an unnecessary derogatory basically harms an argument and makes it look more personal and non-credible rather than reasoned.

There are times when derogatory words could be considered acceptable, like when someone stiffs people out of their KickStarter because you'd be angry and it's reasonable to be angry in that situation. Getting angry over original art you want improved is not reasonable especially when an art makeover has already been approved.

I'm assuming also that Feuerland is going to run the KickStarter as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
You can say something is bad, awful, terrible, etc in your opinion for these reasons and then something else is better like this for those reasons. Using an unnecessary derogatory basically harms an argument and makes it look more personal and non-credible rather than reasoned.

There are times when derogatory words could be considered acceptable, like when someone stiffs people out of their KickStarter because you'd be angry and it's reasonable to be angry in that situation. Getting angry over original art you want improved is not reasonable especially when an art makeover has already been approved.

I'm assuming also that Feuerland is going to run the KickStarter as well?

No, I will be running it, they gave me written permission.

As far as the progress on the project, I have been doing a lot of print proofing and play testing, up to this point all the design has been done on screen. I'm going to need to make some adjustments to the sizes and colors of certain things. Also, I have the research board for most part done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Daniels
Canada
Three Hills
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I understanding that you will be releasing an artistic overhaul on KS? Like new box, faction cards, VP track, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
yankeejer wrote:
So am I understanding that you will be releasing an artistic overhaul on KS? Like new box, faction cards, VP track, etc?

At the very minimum I will release the faction boards, research board and scoring board. Pricing / anount of work is what dictates what is done.

I'm still trying to figure out pricing and the tariff stuff is making it very hard to do this right now. But it WILL happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Daniels
Canada
Three Hills
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate it. Your work is stunning. I would love if you did design a new box, but I understand it might be hard to justify costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
yankeejer wrote:
I would love if you did design a new box, but I understand it might be hard to justify costs.
I may buy the new boards (depends of course on costs including P&P to my place), but don't care much about a new box (which if included will increase the cost). So if there's a new box done too, I'd appreciate to have it in a different/extra package resp. only on a higher KS tier, so I can get just the boards and pay less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the KS, hope shipping to Australia is reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I hope to have updates this week!

Lots of new stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Olagarro wrote:
I hope to have updates this week!

Lots of new stuff!

Please! Cant wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok guys after prototyping this several times in print, a core issue with the visual design of the more translucent / transparent boxes has shown up.

The translucent boxes are just too dark, the entire board ends up being dark with not enough contrast. It causes things to look cluttered

BELOW ARE PREVIOUS VERSIONS FOR EXAMPLE ONLY:

Something like this works:

But not this, this is just too dark (IN PRINT!) (Ignore the gloss, we are going a different direction with this):

The reason I'm being so transparent with this (pun, haha) is that you guys overwhelming voted for transparent, it looks great on the screen but print is another matter!

Poll
1. Name of First Building?
Mine
Ore Mine
2. How Translucent?
More Translucent (easier to see through, darker)
More Opaque (less easy to see through, lighter)
3. Cowbell Amount?
More
Less
      50 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

Here are some other games that have good contrast over a dark background:

Both of them have a lot of contrast between the dark background and the foreground elements

Thought on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, I trust your expert knowledge. If you think one thing works and the other doesn't, do as you think!

Seeing both examples posted again now, I personally think that on screen the first/upper design is vastly superiour. It looks clean and is easy to distinguish from the background. The eye has an anchor point in the clear background areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.