Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Gaia Project Graphic Overhaul - Work In Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
Raphael
msg tools
badge
Pupselchen wrote:
In the end, I trust your expert knowledge. If you think one thing works and the other doesn't, do as you think!

Seeing both examples posted again now, I personally think that on screen the first/upper design is vastly superiour. It looks clean and is easy to distinguish from the background. The eye has an anchor point in the clear background areas.

This, and I think your design (white background) is clearer than the Eclipse/TE examples, better leave it as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
By all means go with something that looks good in print - nobody wants the disappointment of happily unpacking their player boards only to find that what looked great as JPG is hard to read in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed, go with your instinct and preference. You've obviously put some thought into it and demonstrated examples where contrast is important and works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Keep in mind there is a difference between screen, print on paper, and print on cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust your judgment Aaron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Daniels
Canada
Three Hills
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the top design looks much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Keep in mind there is a difference between screen, print on paper, and print on cardboard.

You never print directly onto *Chipboard* (Cardboard is the stuff they make boxes out of, Chipboard is the stuff that board games are made from, also used as backers for drawing tablets, and other more high density applications)

Board game materials are either made by offset printing directly onto paper that has already been glued to chipboard or by printing onto paper and then gluing it afterwards.

https://geekandsundry.com/peer-behind-the-curtain-of-how-boa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Great link! Very interesting to read and watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

You never print directly onto *Chipboard* (Cardboard is the stuff they make boxes out of, Chipboard is the stuff that board games are made from, also used as backers for drawing tablets, and other more high density applications)

Board game materials are either made by offset printing directly onto paper that has already been glued to chipboard or by printing onto paper and then gluing it afterwards.

Yes, I was being sloppy in my comment and oversimplified it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
VOTING TIME!

It's time to decide this contrast issue with background and foreground.

Dark Foreground, Lighter Background

Light Foreground, Lighter Background

Light Foreground, Darker Background

Intentionally not pictured: Dark Foreground, Darker Background

Poll
What do you think works best for usability, ease of play, and aesthetics?
Light Foreground, Lighter Background
Light Foreground, Darker Background
I think all three work well
      77 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Yes, I was being sloppy in my comment and oversimplified it.

Not a problem, was just making sure everyone knew how this is done. Proofing in print is *good enough* regardless of what material it's printed on because in reality its always on paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L-D
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i took quite a bit of time to ponder on each

- makes the art pop more
- contrast are good
- makes the whole thing look cleaner

THAT being said, so far i think you have great judgment, and i would trust you to do a 180% on the votes results after seeing the printed results
trust yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dark foreground better except for the "1,3,4" hex's on the right side. Those are hard to see, especially the "4".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
OMG you made the power pools look really really nice!

May I ask why you replaced the old PI ability icon? I thought it looks nice! And why did you decolor some of the icons? I thought its good to make those icons pop.

Also there is a question I want to ask you a long long time. Why are you always reluctant to use the faction color as the color of the boxes? It may create another contrast issue but its kinda odd for a blue race to have white or black boxes. How about making the planet bright, the background dark, the edge of the boxes blue, the background of the boxes dark or just no background at all and leave the recess of the building bright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:

May I ask why you replaced the old PI ability icon? I thought it looks nice! And why did you decolor some of the icons? I thought its good to make those icons pop.

Also there is a question I want to ask you a long long time. Why are you always reluctant to use the faction color as the color of the boxes? It may create another contrast issue but its kinda odd for a blue race to have white or black boxes. How about making the planet bright, the background dark, the edge of the boxes blue, the background of the boxes dark or just no background at all and leave the recess of the building bright?

*Power pools - Thanks! Yes They needed something

*PI Icon - Do you mean actually in the PI Box? I increased the sizes of all icons after some testing and feedback so there was less room in that box, I may have to make it bigger?

*Removing color of certain icons - its all about hierarchy of color and contrast. It is not important to any game mechanic that the tech tile icons or the hand icon are color, by making these not "pop" it allows the other things on the board which need to pop do so. The Ore / Science / Money have needed colors as well as the orange stop sign turn action and the purple power.

*Making all boxes the race color - it was just too hard to balance with all the other colors needed for good information. Also Mr. Ostertag himself was not too keen on it. I don't think we need to hit the player over the head that we are BLUEEEEEEEE! The buildings are blue, the BG is blue, the planet is blue, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
I feel like the last version with white background was perfect (prev. page, the one with man image, just make the left boxes not reach the edge). It’s very clear. All these new additions add visual complexity - more gradients and lines - which only make the board busy to look at. You’ve said you wanted a clean look and you’ve reached it, now you’re at the point of adding redundant decorations that harm the clean look.

I also don’t see why to remove the color in the income icons - you want to know at a glance what are your income sources. Now it’s more difficult (not all icons on the board are for income, it’s harder to tell them apart now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents:

light on light: I find the power bowls harder to recognize
dark on light: somehow the dark boxes on the light background look weird to me
light on dark: that's the one I like the best

Anyway, that's from looking at the JPGs. It really depends on how it turns out when printed.

Regarding "make the income hands colored again", I'd also like to see them back to "normal", or rather "compatible with the other material" (e.g. booster tiles, tech tiles), and not differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Olagarro wrote:
aquilinx wrote:

*Power pools - Thanks! Yes They needed something

*PI Icon - Do you mean actually in the PI Box? I increased the sizes of all icons after some testing and feedback so there was less room in that box, I may have to make it bigger?

*Removing color of certain icons - its all about hierarchy of color and contrast. It is not important to any game mechanic that the tech tile icons or the hand icon are color, by making these not "pop" it allows the other things on the board which need to pop do so. The Ore / Science / Money have needed colors as well as the orange stop sign turn action and the purple power.

*Making all boxes the race color - it was just too hard to balance with all the other colors needed for good information. Also Mr. Ostertag himself was not too keen on it. I don't think we need to hit the player over the head that we are BLUEEEEEEEE! The buildings are blue, the BG is blue, the planet is blue, etc.

Thank you for ur answers. I voted for #3. Please make the details on the power bowl pop a little bit I really love them!

Also please at least color of the gaiaformer icons just for the sake of being consistent! Theres one with color next to the word Terrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
I guess I wanted it blue becos it kinda looks like playing white instead of blue when the boxes are white. The OG design has the boxes all blue.

Its ur call. I trust u.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Raphael24 wrote:
I feel like the last version with white background was perfect (prev. page, the one with man image, just make the left boxes not reach the edge). It’s very clear. All these new additions add visual complexity - more gradients and lines - which only make the board busy to look at. You’ve said you wanted a clean look and you’ve reached it, now you’re at the point of adding redundant decorations that harm the clean look.

I also don’t see why to remove the color in the income icons - you want to know at a glance what are your income sources. Now it’s more difficult (not all icons on the board are for income, it’s harder to tell them apart now).

Let's vote (Democratic design Yay!)

Design 1)

Design 2)

Poll
Which do you prefer Aesthetically? (Please ignore the fact that some icons are black and white)
Top Design (1)
Bottom Design (2)
      49 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Its so difficult for me to choose cos I love some of the elements from each design.

#1 Love the white numbers on the resource track, the color on all the icons, the PI ability icon, the blue planet (oh now i notice you have changed the planet also)

#2 Love the texture on the power pool very much, the new position of the building power resulting in bigger building icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
I do like how you opened up the building icons in the second design, and added that nice thingy behind their resource cost. It draws the eye directly to the cost and help distinguish it from the income icons.

The image at the end of pg. 16 was the best imo, if the backgrounds are white and not two-colored.

I didn't intend to put anything to a vote... I think the layout is perfect, all the small aesthetic choices can be discussed FOREVER...! . So I'll stop with this type of feedback and let you choose what you like most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Raphael24 wrote:
I do like how you opened up the building icons in the second design, and added that nice thingy behind their resource cost. It draws the eye directly to the cost and help distinguish it from the income icons.

The image at the end of pg. 16 was the best imo, if the backgrounds are white and not two-colored.

I didn't intend to put anything to a vote... I think the layout is perfect, all the small aesthetic choices can be discussed FOREVER...! . So I'll stop with this type of feedback and let you choose what you like most.

Well said. Just choose what please you. This is your project afterall. Id rather seeing the research board sooner than struggling with these minor details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the layout of the design 2 is superior, but the clarity of design 1 is better without all the extra fluff overall (lines, glow, corners).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it would be perfect to merge the top's top with the bottom's bottom (pun intended, but I mean it, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.