Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Zowah wrote:

First of all, thank you for pushing this initiative forward, your work is amazing, I can't imagine how many hours have you invested on this.

I will definitely print out your designs once their are done and I believe you should post this as a kick-starter campaign, so you can get the extra support that you need.

A small suggestion:

Engraved faction mats:

After playing Scythe, there is a feature that I really loved about it.

The faction mats have engraved sockets for the buildings and tech, so all the buildings fit in nicely and they don't accidentally move over the mat. It is a very simple thing but the feeling is amazing

If, you could do two different printouts for the faction mats, so we can print the 2 different levels in order to implement the "3D Engraved" feature, it would be awesome.

In addition, imagine embedding a very thin metal sheet in between, we could magnetize the board hehe.

Please keep up the good work, you are awesome!
Dual-layered mats can be prone to warping, not to mention the price goes up significantly when you move from a simple rectangle to a punch-and-glue situation.

Honestly, if there's gonna be a pricey option I'd much prefer something like a set of four acrylic overlays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Olagarro wrote:
VOTING TIME!

It's time to decide this contrast issue with background and foreground.

Dark Foreground, Lighter Background

Light Foreground, Lighter Background

Light Foreground, Darker Background

Intentionally not pictured: Dark Foreground, Darker Background

Poll
What do you think works best for usability, ease of play, and aesthetics?
I think all three work well
      90 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

I printed the first and the third board (personally I dont like the 2nd one as much), put some pieces on them and try them out. My printer sucks and the pictures were taken by a phone camera. The image quality is nowhere near excellent but they still give some ideas on how this project would ultimately turn out.

First I must say both versions of the new board look amazing and are huge improvement to the existing boards.

After putting some pieces on, the dark foreground and the pieces are more color coherent while the light foreground gives a better contrast...

But this is only true when the pieces are blue. When using white or grey pieces, the light foreground doesnt give a contrast at all...
(both pictures showing light foreground)

This is how it looks when power tokens are on the newly designed power pool. I reckon the right power pool is better because the color of the left one is almost the same as the power tokens.

Also the gaiaformers is quite hidden by the blue planet. I reckon we need some bigger hexagons for them to pop or we could bring back the box under the gaiaformer hexagons in some of the early revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:
But this is only true when the pieces are blue. When using white or grey pieces, the light foreground doesnt give a contrast at all...

Thanks for the experiment.

The quoted picture has the light foreground both on the left and right, correct? In line with the picture for blue, I was expecting a comparison of darker and brighter foreground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
DocCool wrote:
aquilinx wrote:

Thanks for the experiment.

The quoted picture has the light foreground both on the left and right, correct? In line with the picture for blue, I was expecting a comparison of darker and brighter foreground.

Oh yeah sorry for some confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aaron,
May I know where are you getting your character placeholders from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
https://youtu.be/CdqoNKCCt7A

Guys! I've been on vacation and had a crazy week of work right before I left because that's how corporate life is!

I'll be back next week and work on this!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aquilinx wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
VOTING TIME!

It's time to decide this contrast issue with background and foreground.

Intentionally not pictured: Dark Foreground, Darker Background

Poll
What do you think works best for usability, ease of play, and aesthetics?
I think all three work well
      90 answers
Poll created by Olagarro

I printed the first and the third board (personally I dont like the 2nd one as much), put some pieces on them and try them out. My printer sucks and the pictures were taken by a phone camera. The image quality is nowhere near excellent but they still give some ideas on how this project would ultimately turn out.

First I must say both versions of the new board look amazing and are huge improvement to the existing boards.

After putting some pieces on, the dark foreground and the pieces are more color coherent while the light foreground gives a better contrast...

(both pictures showing light foreground)

This is how it looks when power tokens are on the newly designed power pool. I reckon the right power pool is better because the color of the left one is almost the same as the power tokens.

Also the gaiaformers is quite hidden by the blue planet. I reckon we need some bigger hexagons for them to pop or we could bring back the box under the gaiaformer hexagons in some of the early revisions.

Thank you for doing more testing on this. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get back to home base next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Good to see you again! Its been two weeks since the last update. Cant wait for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game and I'm wondering whether I should even bother playing it before printing out a set of these! These are fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
I just picked up this game and I'm wondering whether I should even bother playing it before printing out a set of these! These are fantastic
play it, the game is fantastic on its own already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Guys, I did get back from vacation last week, but work is pretty insane! I have not forgot about this project I promise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Olagarro wrote:
Guys, I did get back from vacation last week, but work is pretty insane! I have not forgot about this project I promise!
It's all good! Glad your livelihood is lively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aquilinx annoymous
msg tools
mb
Please please make an update! Cant wait for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilker Dangaz
msg tools
Just discovered this thread and OH MY this is amazing!

Can someone tell me what I need to print this and replace the board of the original? How can anyone look at this and then not be sad when looking at the original?

Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
All of these look incredible! I checked the poll results, and I shared the same opinion as the majority of the forum. Amazing work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L-D
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love this project, and cant wait for more news

To be honest, this project is the reason why i bought Gaia project.

i was looking at the base material, and the race icons,
i think alot of their factions was
- colored in a way to make distiction a little easyer
- a little more *unique*

here is a picture
(to quick reference the factions of the base game to the newly designed here)

i will try to go over each one and hopefully provide constructive critique.
here is the link to page 1 of this post for quick reference :
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2197795/gaia-project-gr...

- terrans : perfect

- lanctids : i prefered the chubby ones, but that is personal opinion, they are a faction that is supose to live hand in hand whit enemy, so perhaps something that looks either more like a parasith OR something that looks really friendly and non threatening would be a good fit

- ambats: good job at making them a bit more unique!

- talons: they have to much of a human form, i was hoping for something more insect like, the base game had a really insect looking creature whit natural insect armor, looked neat and different.

- xenos: great art, but again, a little to human like, fangs or yealow cat eyes could make them pop, but overall really good
- glens : great job, i'm a little sad they lost their weapond

- Hadsch : great art, but they are white, for a red faction, i tought the red bird animal matched the tropical hot theme of the planet,
the art itself is great, but it doest scream red planet like the source material did.

- ivits : perfect, muscle and posture a little weird, but good theme

- firaks : this is what i'm talking about ! fits the dark planet, it is way different than the other factions, great great great, best of the bunch

- bescods : great art, but again to human like, the source material was a scrap robot that looked neat, this one looks a little to much like a toy whit beter art

- geodens: great!, the posture is a little weird tho

- bal t'aks : great posture, i,m a little sad they lost their fire touch from the base art

- nevlas : one of the best!, Making them a little more distinc from the source material, that being said, they are to blue for a white planet.
white skin, a white coat, or just more white would make them more recognizable

- itars : they do feel different, i love the idea of having no tech on them, just animal like creatures,
but to me, space monkeys are boring
and space yetis are cooler (i guess i just miss the space yeti's)

again, great great work, i'm just trying to add a little bit to this project

as a comparision, i think Twilight imperium 4 factions did a amazing job of making alot of different factions that feels completely different in multiple ways
that being said, they had LOTS of peaple work on them, they were also paid, and they had alot of lore to pull from,
so again,

so far you have done a outstanding job at this, and i couldn't have done better at this even if i tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there - also just found this thread and I love the look of the player boards!

Just curious - was the plan to KS or PNP them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I will pick this back up soon. A lot going on! I'm not going to give you guys my personal life details but there are a lot of reasons I have not done any work on this in a while.

Hopefully you guys are subscribed to this thread and will see the update when Im finally able to give this the attention it deserves.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blu Pickle
msg tools
Hi.

I did not read the whole thread, but is there any way to either give you translation of the bottom right part, or have language dependant images so I can incorporate french translations?

EDIT : Same for the structures name, and races specs on the top right.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyho
msg tools
On a similar note, I can provide you with the Spanish translations so you can make this amazing work available in more countries
Happy to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  |