Recommend
83 
 Thumb up
 Hide
520 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [21] | 

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Gaia Project Graphic Overhaul - Work In Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Gaia [+] [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I liked about the power areas on the original boards was the extremely faded Roman numerals and starting-token indicators. They seemed to "get out of the way" after setup. I liked, too, that Area I was completely transparent (or black), and the other areas less and less so. I think it might work well on these boards too.

I think it was already suggested, but I would vote to remove the minus symbols altogether. It's pretty clear already that only those resources with a hand beneath represents income, so you automatically assume anything else is a cost.

The new terraforming cost grid is really good. It makes it much clearer than the original that colonizing a gaia planet costs a Q.I.C. unless it has a gaiaformer on it.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Better and better! <3

I get that you are being bombarded by UX and UI suggestions, so please take this extra one with the lowest priority.



One thing that slightly annoys me in the iconography of the original graphic is that the "spend power" black icon is counterclockwise, while in the power area the movement of power tokens from Area III to Area I, and the corresponding black arrow there, are clockwise.

I see at least two possibilities:
- Change the iconography and put a black, clockwise arrow that goes from 2:00 to 6:00 in the "pay power" icons.
- Change the direction of the black arrow in the power area to counterclockwise.

Sorry I don't think either of these work, because we are trying to remain compatible with the base game. It uses the exact same iconography (clockwise purple arrow for charge, counter clockwise arrow for spend)

If we for some reason did not need to remain compatible with base game / components, this is one of many things I would change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
One thing I liked about the power areas on the original boards was the extremely faded Roman numerals and starting-token indicators. They seemed to "get out of the way" after setup. I liked, too, that Area I was completely transparent (or black), and the other areas less and less so. I think it might work well on these boards too.

I think it was already suggested, but I would vote to remove the minus symbols altogether. It's pretty clear already that only those resources with a hand beneath represents income, so you automatically assume anything else is a cost.

The new terraforming cost grid is really good. It makes it much clearer than the original that colonizing a gaia planet costs a Q.I.C. unless it has a gaiaformer on it.


Ok I'll go ahead and do this, however the minus symbol on the free power II > III action needs to stay and we need to use the + symbol for one time bonuses (I'm not going to use the very hard to see tiny little star in the lower left)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Better and better! <3

I get that you are being bombarded by UX and UI suggestions, so please take this extra one with the lowest priority.



One thing that slightly annoys me in the iconography of the original graphic is that the "spend power" black icon is counterclockwise, while in the power area the movement of power tokens from Area III to Area I, and the corresponding black arrow there, are clockwise.

I see at least two possibilities:
- Change the iconography and put a black, clockwise arrow that goes from 2:00 to 6:00 in the "pay power" icons.
- Change the direction of the black arrow in the power area to counterclockwise.

I do like the counterclockwise arrow as it clearly distinguishes it from the gain power symbols
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Horologiom wrote:
Ivits aka The Swarm shouldn't have any costs for their P.I., because they start with it and therefor have nothing to pay.
Then we might also think about removing the "triangle" that describes the upgrade direction from a Trading Station to a Planetary Institute.


Excellent!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great. Now here's a nitpick: the image of the trading station seems to be "lit" from from a different direction than the other buildings...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Horologiom wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:
Horologiom wrote:
Ivits aka The Swarm shouldn't have any costs for their P.I., because they start with it and therefor have nothing to pay.
Then we might also think about removing the "triangle" that describes the upgrade direction from a Trading Station to a Planetary Institute.


Excellent!

Thank you, Helge!

I'g glad you are ok with someone messing with your incredible game!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
Looking great. Now here's a nitpick: the image of the trading station seems to be "lit" from from a different direction than the other buildings...

I'm waiting to get the art assets from Feuerland Spiele so that I can use the proper images of the buildings. The placeholders I have are from a scan I found online.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Gaia and Power Areas (upper left on the board) are a little too dark to see. And it is confusing that the Power Cycle and Power Sacrifice arrows have the same color.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bokuteki wrote:
The Gaia and Power Areas (upper left on the board) are a little too dark to see. And it is confusing that the Power Cycle and Power Sacrifice arrows have the same color.
Respectfully disagree! Especially with the same color issue -- they should be the same color because they're describing the same action of cycling power (just in different circumstances). And another color would reduce cleanliness up there where you need it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
bokuteki wrote:
The Gaia and Power Areas (upper left on the board) are a little too dark to see. And it is confusing that the Power Cycle and Power Sacrifice arrows have the same color.

Look at the original board, the power charge and power use arrows are both black and purple, one is reversed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
REVISION 8 : FACTION ART AND BUILDING ART ARE PLACEHOLDERS


















FACTION ART AND BUILDING ART ARE PLACEHOLDERS
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Itars should have their special burn feature also shown on the power bowls
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Itars should have their special burn feature also shown on the power bowls


ALSO


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the elements could still be more opaque, specifically the Gaia project area, Gaiaformers area, and the resource track.

Any reason why you removed the borders on the resource track?
Also I find the numbers on the resource track hard to notice at first glance; adding to this I think preserving consistent spacing looks better, maybe you can do the same as the buildings section and extend the 0 spot to the edge.

What about flipping the colors on the power I area? As the icons also show (purple border on black background).

Have you tried putting the building's power either above or right below the building (above costs)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:
Personally, I think the elements could still be more opaque, specifically the Gaia project area, Gaiaformers area, and the resource track.

Any reason why you removed the borders on the resource track?
Also I find the numbers on the resource track hard to notice at first glance;

Problem with this is I have a lot of people asking for a bit more subtle, transparent and I have a few, you included asking to have things less transparent and less subtle. I have done it both ways and had people asking it for the other way.

I guess I need to just make a decision and go with it. Grrr

mrnesss wrote:
...adding to this I think preserving consistent spacing looks better,...

That's a no go, the original board and therefore the overlays are this way. Sorry


mrnesss wrote:
...maybe you can do the same as the buildings section and extend the 0 spot to the edge...

Sure, I'll try this later

mrnesss wrote:
What about flipping the colors on the power I area? As the icons also show (purple border on black background).

I tried this and hated the inconsistency, I can explore some other solutions

mrnesss wrote:
Have you tried putting the building's power either above or right below the building (above costs)?

I'll try this too!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olagarro wrote:
Problem with this is I have a lot of people asking for a bit more subtle, transparent and I have a few, you included asking to have things less transparent and less subtle. I have done it both ways and had people asking it for the other way.

I guess I need to just make a decision and go with it. Grrr
I think clarity is best, if I can't quickly assess the board state without having to focus too much on it, I consider it a bad design (too much on it, small elements/letters, things blending together, etc); given I don't have the best eyesight so this may not be a problem to others, but I believe being clearer would also help teaching/new players. Maybe the counter argument is that once you play enough times you pretty much now where everything is but I don't think that's enough to give up on clarity.

Olagarro wrote:
mrnesss wrote:
...adding to this I think preserving consistent spacing looks better,...
That's a no go, the original board and therefore the overlays are this way. Sorry
Aaaaand what has been seen cannot be unseen. I just noticed this, guess that shows how the board has too much going on
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that really bothered me with the original boards is that they are about 10-12 mm longer than the short side of the box.
Thus, there is only 1 way to put them in the box, and they must be piled in a single stack that eats away vertical space.

Is it feasible to design these boards in a way that we can later manually trim two strips on the short sides, so that we can fit them in the box?

In the end, what I'd probably need is a 6 mm margin on both the shorter sides and 4 markers (like special stars in the background art) that would help cutting a vertical line on each side.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Another thing that really bothered me with the original boards is that they are about 10-12 mm longer than the short side of the box.
Thus, there is only 1 way to put them in the box, and they must be piled in a single stack that eats away vertical space.

Is it feasible to design these boards in a way that we can later manually trim two strips on the short sides, so that we can fit them in the box?

In the end, what I'd probably need is a 6 mm margin on both the shorter sides and 4 markers (like special stars in the background art) that would help cutting a vertical line on each side.

While I love the idea, I don't want to invalidate box organizers or overlays and this would do both
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mrnesss wrote:
Olagarro wrote:
Problem with this is I have a lot of people asking for a bit more subtle, transparent and I have a few, you included asking to have things less transparent and less subtle. I have done it both ways and had people asking it for the other way.

I guess I need to just make a decision and go with it. Grrr
I think clarity is best, if I can't quickly assess the board state without having to focus too much on it, I consider it a bad design (too much on it, small elements/letters, things blending together, etc); given I don't have the best eyesight so this may not be a problem to others, but I believe being clearer would also help teaching/new players. Maybe the counter argument is that once you play enough times you pretty much now where everything is but I don't think that's enough to give up on clarity.

Olagarro wrote:
mrnesss wrote:
...adding to this I think preserving consistent spacing looks better,...
That's a no go, the original board and therefore the overlays are this way. Sorry
Aaaaand what has been seen cannot be unseen. I just noticed this, guess that shows how the board has too much going on

So this makes the color usage more consistent, reduces the orange > brown issues and increases the readability:




7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Pell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
These look amazing, obviously, and your willingness to take feedback (and implement other people's ideas as if they were your own (perfectly)) is incredible.

AMAZING DESIGN!!!!!

Did you intend to leave the "s" off of "Gleens"? I believe it's the only race you did it for.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Very nice! Just one thing, the All caps Text on the bottom right shouldn't be All caps, use that only for headlines or subheadlines. Prople don't read letter by letter, but recognize the outline of a word. That's why all caps is so hard to read, you gave to go back to letter-by-letter reading. Other than that, nice work - did you do the illustrations?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't rally have anything to contribute apart from a completely enthusiastic "HOLY COW THIS IS AWESOME!".

If this comes through, it'll actually elevate my favorite game from 9.8 to 10.0 for me.

Thank you for doing this and please do continue!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cotton
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Incredibul wrote:
Very nice! Just one thing, the All caps Text on the bottom right shouldn't be All caps, use that only for headlines or subheadlines. Prople don't read letter by letter, but recognize the outline of a word. That's why all caps is so hard to read, you gave to go back to letter-by-letter reading. Other than that, nice work - did you do the illustrations?

Very good point, thanks!

The Illustrations were taken from ArtStation and are currently FPO. I'm trying to decide if Im going to illustrate them myself, get other artists to help or HDify the original art
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [21] |