3 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Draft Zombie monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Franco
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So first stab at a new monster set for Hellboy to mix up the base set for those who do not have the Kickstarter extras...zombies which definitely sit well with the Hellboy mythos.

These are based on the options people may have with the core Zombicide sets (modern or Blake Plague would both work) and aim to have the theme of spawning and chomping. They should be turning out a little more challenging than the frogs.

Zombie: all models with keyword Zombie heal the wounds inflicted on a hero -2 per attack.

Walker
Keywords: Minion, Zombie, Brawler
Move: 2
Resistance: 2
Health: 7
Range: 0
Ranged Attack: 0
Melee: 6
Special. Skull on defence, spawn new walker

Runner
Move: 3
Health: 6
Melee: 5
Special. Skull on defence, has second attack. Only happens once per turn.

Fatty
Move: 1
Resistance: 3
Health: 8
Melee: 6
Special. Skull on defence, spawn new walker

Spitter (use a walker model specifically for this)
Keywords: Minion, Zombie, Ranged
Health: 6
Range: 1
Ranged Attack: 5
Melee: t
Special. Skull on defence,

Boss
Abomination
Keywords: Boss, Zombie, Brawler
Resistance: 4
Health: 24
Melee: 9
Special. Skull on defence, spawn 2 new walkers

Behaviour cards still need to be sorted out... currently just use the Giant Frog Monster ones.

So two things wanted... First feedback.
Second anyone with the right skills to knock out decent looking cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treiral Tasarte
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how fast zombies go down in zombicide, I think they got way too much resistance and health, specially if you are planning on letting them regenerate. And walkers are too fast.

This is what I'd do:
Change the zombie keyword so that anytime one inflicts a wound a new Walker spawns, attracted either to the smell or the noise. It will spawn in the furthest area with no agents, in line of sight of the agent that was attacked, but no further than the next room. Basically, out the corner of her eye, the agent sees how another zombie rise.
The zombie keyword also adds another Walker the first time each turn a player uses a "firearm" or "grenade" weapon.

This is balanced by the fact that Walkers now are going to move just 1. Their Resistance go down to 1. And their Health is 4.

The skull on defence will remove 1 action cube. I'm tempted to go full "stunned" to represent being grabbed by them instead, but this would require some testing.

I'm ok with Runners moving 3, but their resistance and health should match walkers. Your skull on defence for runners is cool.

I would make Fatty's spawn 2 walkers instead of 1 on skulls. The rest seems fine.

Your spitter got nothing on skulls, I haven't seen spitters in zombicide, but if I were to add something, maybe their attack is acid and on skulls they destroy a "tradeable" item (this is so certain agents don't lose their special abilities).

I'd add a Screamer to the mix, basically a Walker with the coward keyword and Melee 4. It moves away from the agents with Move 2, while basically spawning more zombies during his activation (roll Orange, spawn that many zombies in his area). And it activates the moment it spawns.
Hah, I hate Screamers already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
treiral wrote:
Considering how fast zombies go down in zombicide, I think they got way too much resistance and health, specially if you are planning on letting them regenerate. And walkers are too fast.

I think you may miss the point of the OP mentioning Zombicide and Z:BP - they aren't trying to recreate the zombie menace from those games so much as creating a set of Hellboy zombies that fits well with the minis found in those games.

I've done that myself (i.e. suggested using Zombicide sculpts) when designing zombie monsters for other games. The simple fact that they've been popular makes it more likely that others wanting to try your variant will already have the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.