Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Is there a reason that the number of VPs in a 5 player game is 122 and not 125? I've never unpacked a fresh box of PR. I'm guessing it's because there was no room for the 3 extra tokens and not that the designer felt 122 was the perfect number of VPs in a 5 player game. Or am I off base? The colonist count goes up by 21 from 3 to 4 players and 4 to 5 players. Why not the VP total as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Stupid VP question
As a guess, I would say that the number of colonists need in 3 4 or 5 players linearly increases, as does the building space.

However, the spaces on the boats does not increase linearly; there is less proportional space in 5 players than in 4 players, so shipping points do not increase linearly as well. The 3 point differential would be to make the game end condition of running out of VP's more in line with the other conditions.

122 does seem to be an odd choice, however.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold with the "space on the printed page" theory, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I buy the space on the page idea. After all, it would be simple enough to change one 1 VP token into a 5 VP token, and then voila, 126 VP chips available. I don't think they were running into a conflict with the need for change, do you? I haven't counted 1 VP chips, but they sure seem adequate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that after some testing, it just seemed like a reasonably good number. The wanted to balance the end conditions so they would all come out around the same time in the average game, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
I think they did it just to drive us board game geeks nuts. :0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other small "justed missed"s that may have been for balance or may have been for cost/space:

12 indigo island tiles, 12 indigo factory slots, but only 11 indigo barrels.
11 sugar island tiles, 11 sugar barrels, 12 sugar factory slots.
2 more coffee island tiles than factory slots, meaning two coffee island tiles will always be unused. Was there originally 4 coffee roasters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe all of those are for balance.

There are more sugar plantations and less tobacco and coffee to make it so it more likely for several people to get a sugar but harder for this to happen in tobacco or coffee.

It doesnt matter if the max possible production of a good matches with the number of barrels, that amount of production wont happen anyway. The number of barrels becomes a constraint only when there is a lot on boats or in warehouses, not based on producing it all in one phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.