9 Posts

Battleground» Forums » General

Subject: Which armies have the most "special" units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Jansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
This game looks super hype, and I'm probably gonna end up backing the kickstarter at AT LEAST the base tier.

But since the human army is fairly "standard", I'm wondering which other ones have a lot of standout stuff? Thinking big monsters or maybe war machines (if they're a thing in this game) that you could add in, especially if both players make their "base" army out of human grunts

Also interested in who's next for the HD treatment, so I can maybe hold off on those for the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose we could check the math, but I’ll guess Monsters & Mercenaries has the most variation. Lots of different monsters, alongside a mercenary army with a fair number of options on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Jansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Cool! It looks almost like a "sample platter" of different stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Elves have a pretty interesting army including spellcasters.

Elves of ravenwood have an army with a lot of exotic units like animals, centaurs, fairies, treants, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Schendelbeke
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mercenary faction is a good expansion that can be played standalone or added to other 'main' forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klagarn wrote:
Also interested in who's next for the HD treatment...
I don’t have any insider information, but my impression was this was largely determined by inventory. YMG ran out of Hawkhold first, so they were the first to be reprinted.

To extrapolate from that: if the determining factor is age, then Orcs and Undead will be next. Anything beyond that depends on the interplay between print run and popularity: Wood Elves were printed earlier, which might mean a bigger print run, but elves are also popular, so that run might have sold faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YMG Corey
msg tools
I'd suggest you check out this update from the Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1830574794/men-of-hawks...

In it, I lay out what factions I'd personally recommend from a game play perspective.

Although for your wants, Monsters & Mercs has dragons, a Hill Giant, a Hydra, and an Earth Elemental. Lizardmen has a T-Rex, Triceratops Packs, and giant lizard monster unit.

Also in there we detail what we plan to be the next factions (Orcs, Dwarves, and Undead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s good. The orcs are an UGLY looking army. And not in a particularly good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YMG Corey
msg tools
One bit of good news is that the Men of Hawkshold are getting their own unique Hero unit: Sir Steaphen's Free Company.

Check it out here: Men of Hawkshold Update #10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls