Mike MacPhee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider an item that provides a posse benefit or a personal benefit:
[Journal of the Alamo]
+1 Lore
Once per Adventure, each member of the posse may recover 1 Grit
(may not be the exact wording, but this is the intent)

[Amulet of Kotek]
Once per Adventure, prevent all Damage a Hero would take from a single source.

Let's say the posse initiative is 6,5,4,2 - with the Journal holder going on 4.

Obviously the Amulet can be used at any time until a hit is assigned, and makes sense to use it after the hit is assigned.
"If the Harvester punches you, any damage will be prevented"
"Harvester just punched you for 12 damage. Prevent that damage".

Is there a time restriction on the Journal and other items?

Posse is about to reveal the final Exploration token and start Epic Threat fight, resolve the stack of Growing Dread, etc.

When can an item like this be used?
A) Initiative 100: players have a chance to act before the room "goes off".
B) Initiative 4: on the players initiative only.
C) Initiative 0: at the end of the turn, before resolving the stack.
D) At any point.

I don't know why, but we're playing it like D, and I think it should be B.

Looking for some clarification or rules to back it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the intent of the game is D - where there is any ambiguity, the timing ends up as favorable to the players as possible.

The only fiddly aspect / exception to this is "confirmed damage" which can't be interrupted to play a healing token.

So the way I've played, you could flip a growing dread card, use the journal to give everyone a grit, and then spend all that grit to cancel the card.

The main advantage of it being this "loose" for me is there are LOTS of fiddly bits to remember after a while with the game, and needing to activate things "just in case" rather than on-demand creates more analysis-paralysis / over-thinking things in a game which at certainly points can drag already with many dice rolls and administrative effects to manage.

The loose timing also keeps these things more heroic (use at "just the right moment!") too, generating a better narrative.

Can't quote rules to back that up, but I'm pretty sure this is the intended timing of the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that the Amulet of Kotak says "single source", not "single Hit". You can use it to prevent ALL the Hits from single Attack from a single Enemy, if you want.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ben. This is not a super-tight game and judgement calls at the table just have to happen. When they come up, play in whatever way you find most fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls