Mojito Studios
United States
Palm Beach Gardens
Florida
flag msg tools
Poll: Which color do you like the most for scarabs?
The turquoise color was our first choice, as it reminded us to the classic egyptian jewelry.
Then some backers made an interesting observation: why not using the lapis lazuli color, to recall the Resource card? They casted us doubt on that!
So we ask you: Which color do you like the most for Scarabs?
Vote for your favorite color!
Which color do you like the most for Scarabs?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A) Turquoise
49.9% 542
B) Lapis lazuli
50.1% 544
Voters 1086
This poll is now closed.   1086 answers
Poll created by Mojito_Studios
Closes: Sun May 26, 2019 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Contios
France
flag msg tools
lapis lazuli is much much more thematic than turquoise, as it was really used by ancient egyptian !!! unfortunately it seems we will not get this one, too bad :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ultrahero 2000_4ever
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turquoise Scarabs for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burtram Anton
msg tools
mbmb
Lapis Lazuli please

The turquoise just looks wrong compared to all the Egyptian museum exhibits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianna Santini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurent1975 wrote:
lapis lazuli is much much more thematic than turquoise, as it was really used by ancient egyptian !!! unfortunately it seems we will not get this one, too bad :-(

They were both really used in ancient egypt, so I think it's just a personal taste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Nelmark
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that B is closer to a Nile Blue color and goes with the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the intensity of the lapis lazuli! And Cleopatra used it for her eyeshadow.

Turquoise was a rare good in Egypt - interesting essay here about it

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/turqe/hd_turqe.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianna Santini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're getting closer! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on the final plastic colour. I like the lapis blue but in the graphic it's nice and bright. If it's likely to end up as a duller blue colour then turquoise is better. Also to cobsider, which is better to view the etched valie underneath at a quick glance. Im all for nice colours but practicality is also a factor in games. I guess the game company would have a better idea and should be trusted on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Alexander

Newquay. Cornwall
UK
msg tools
For me turquoise is the colour I associate most with Middle Eastern nobility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipa Tato
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
Somebody on Internet wrote:
Another important blue stone available to the Egyptians of this era was the Turquoise.

So I went and did a little research on Internet and found the above quote... Can anyone kindly explain to me why some people say Turquoise is not thematic? I know almost nothing about ancient Egypt so I'm really interested in learning more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FilipaPT wrote:
Another important blue stone available to the Egyptians of this era was the Turquoise.

So I went and did a little research on Internet and found the above quote... Can anyone kindly explain to me why some people say Turquoise is not thematic? I know almost nothing about ancient Egypt so I'm really interested in learning more!

Turquoise is thematic. People are misinformed or simply prefer the lapis lazuli. Turquoise was hard to get in ancient Egypt and substitutions were used quite often. In my post above I link to an essay describing how museums are finding a lot of the artifacts they've listed as turquoise are actually made of other materials.

As would be the case in the game, the makers will be substituting plastic.
Not unless there's going to be a really amazing stretch goal, real materials :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ancient_Egypt will give you an overview in general - it covers quite a lot of time, Ancient Egypt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cenk Gokce
Canada
flag msg tools
I’m with Alicia, can’t figure out why people claim turquoise is not thematic especially since everyone who goes to Egypt seem to be gifting me with turquoise scarabs With my excuses to those following the Kickstarter updates as well, but this gem is too good not to multi share “Turquoise, associated with the goddess Hathor, was so liked by the Ancient Egyptians that it became (arguably) the first gemstone to be imitated.” Yes, completely intentional pun, quoting from the Wikipedia article for turquoise, so sue me! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
:-) I still prefer the lapis lazuli though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marg Pi
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
A for Turquoise!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bristol
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I am not a fan on turquoise and love darker blues, but I can see the definition of the scarab much clearer in that color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cenk Gokce
Canada
flag msg tools
leece wrote:

I actually like the lapis lazuli colour more myself but I am willing to suffer for more historical accuracy LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgokce wrote:
leece wrote:

I actually like the lapis lazuli colour more myself but I am willing to suffer for more historical accuracy LOL

But they're both historically accurate! Cleopatra actually wore ground up lapis lazuli on her skin. Lapis lazuli was favoured for amulets. So don't suffer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ricci
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
I agree, turquoise is the original colour, choosing a different one will look absolutely ridiculous and historically wrong. Go to Egypt and you’ll see it’s all about turquoise. I’m not sure why this poll, if the blue is chosen I will pull out as historically wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gossman
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the color they choose it will be historically accurate to the time period. Just because one poster found an essay regarding how rare turquoise was, doesn’t mean that Lapis was prized any less. Lapis was used for jewelry, artwork, healing, one of the first forms of makeup, and other things. Do your research, there is no wrong answer here. Pick based on personal preference as both are historically accurate. But I really hope they pick Lapis, so we can see people throw their hissy fits, whine and cry over nothing. Just paint the damn things if you’re unhappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipa Tato
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
leece wrote:
FilipaPT wrote:

Turquoise is thematic. People are misinformed or simply prefer the lapis lazuli. Turquoise was hard to get in ancient Egypt and substitutions were used quite often. In my post above I link to an essay describing how museums are finding a lot of the artifacts they've listed as turquoise are actually made of other materials.

As would be the case in the game, the makers will be substituting plastic.
Not unless there's going to be a really amazing stretch goal, real materials :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ancient_Egypt will give you an overview in general - it covers quite a lot of time, Ancient Egypt.

Thank you so much for the explanation and the link. Appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightmaren wrote:
Regardless of the color they choose it will be historically accurate to the time period. Just because one poster found an essay regarding how rare turquoise was, doesn’t mean that Lapis was prized any less. Lapis was used for jewelry, artwork, healing, one of the first forms of makeup, and other things. Do your research, there is no wrong answer here. Pick based on personal preference as both are historically accurate. But I really hope they pick Lapis, so we can see people throw their hissy fits, whine and cry over nothing. Just paint the damn things if you’re unhappy.

I'm really hoping they pick Lapis too, but because I prefer the colour. It's a lovely game, whatever the colour of *I-keep-telling-people-both-are-historically-accurate* stone they use in the end. I will still be backing it even if turquoise wins.

Where's Magrathea again?

"...they began to imagine that this was therefore the fault of the worlds they'd settled on - none of them was entirely satisfactory: either the climate wasn't quite right in the later part of the afternoon, or the day was half an hour too long, or the sea was exactly the wrong shade of pink."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a silly, unnecessary can of worms this poll opened. If you'd simply stayed with one color all along and gone with it no one would have been any wiser. Giving a choice to something like this just alienates those who may have preferred the losing choice.

I'm not suggesting it's a good reason to pull out, but there will be the minority of those who probably will...and you would have gained no new backers from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Grégoire
Canada
Verdun
Qc
flag msg tools
mb
As the value of the scarab will be engraved on its base, it will be easier to read on a light surface (turquoise). On the lapis lazuli, the shadows will be a lot harder to discern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Grégoire
Canada
Verdun
Qc
flag msg tools
mb
For those who say turquoise is « not thematic » :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.