Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Video "news" report on boardgames:

http://kvewtogo.com/user-video/?request_id=9fd1f7c7927b5231a...

Comics fans are all too familiar with the "Bang! Pow!" news story. Yes, "the" news story, as there's only one, though it appears often. "Bang! Pow! Comics aren't just for kids!" in which we reveal that there are actually adults out there who read comics and some of those comics have "mature" themes and there are exactly three: Maus, Watchmen, and Dark Knight Returns, because Maus won "the Pulitzer Prize" and nothing else remotely interesting has been published in the 20 years since those other two. But that's another story.

Here's the same story, applied to boardgames. Hey, there are some freaks out there who play -- get this! -- board games! And these games are way complicated and expensive! Also: I'm a girl and can't possibly understand these geeks -- tee hee! I love TV!

I admit I haven't made it through the whole thing yet, as the reporter's "Gee, this is all way over my head because I'm so charmingly dumb!" attitude grated on me.

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but you know what? They're wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually gets better as it goes on Dave

EDIT: She references Board Games with Scott near the end, and doesn't demean it at all like the last time BGWS got mentioned (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/143777).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoo hoo! (Simple Simon, eh? Guess she didn't see Die Macher...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
I thought it was a pretty good job overall. I think part of it is her on air persona as a diz, which could be damaged if she actually appeared to be getting it.
She plugs the geek, two local game stores, a local gaming group, and Board Games with Scott. She even manages to show you how to use the geek to find gamers in your area. I'd say she did a great job except for the titles she used as backgrounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seemed really pretty good to me. I'd definately say it's one of the best representations from "outsiders' I've yet to see. She was very willing to give it all a go which is way more than you can say for most people.

I'm not sure what that game was at the beginning of the piece...? Is that a good game to intro to someone who is not a gamer or should they have chosen something more accepted as a "gateway" like Ticket to Ride or even Carcassonne?

I wish more people outside the hobby with journalistic type outlets could be this good at looking at our hobby. Remember, this piece was in no way created for us.
I think it succeeded in doing what it set out to do - introduce non-gamers to gamer's games in a non-condescending manner without overwhelming them. I especially liked the little thing about "I like Grey's Anatomy so I'd probably like this..." thing. How many times have we had that very conversation here?

The more I think about this piece the more I liked it.

(yes, the games in the background sucked ass, but they are recognizable by the target audience... let's hope it didn't simply reinforce their ideas about them as the be all/end all of games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
The second group was our game group, which was doing the pirate themed night. It was interesting having her there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if Thebes would have been my first choice to get this girl started. It's fairly light, but not the best gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri Cities
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I wanted to show her Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride first. I thought those would be perfect "gateway" games for her. But, things didn't go as we hoped. If I remember right, Amy arrived just as we were starting Thebes. Instead of grabbing a new game, we re-started the game with her watching. She didn't even try it out at all. We thought we had enough time to show her more, but we didn't. There is quite a bit that she taped but did not show in her final edit. Nothing crucial though. She interviewed me one on one for about 10 or 15 minutes. She asked how I got started in this, how many games I own, where do I buy them, where do I research them before hand...etc, etc. Everything happened so fast. There wasn't much time to get too organized and I just went with the flow. It was fun all the same! I do regret her labeling me a "Gamer Genius" though! Haha! Not even close! Now I get ribbed about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amy blynn
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Tis I – The Gaming Ditz! Amy Bouska with Be Seen Be Heard on KVEWTV.com and I have to say whether you like me and my vlog or not, I’m pleased to have elicited any response at all! I knew I was jumping into something I had no prior knowledge on what-so-ever and I didn’t pretend otherwise. The idea of this video blog was to inform and relate to the viewers like myself that may be interested but wouldn’t know where to start. However, given the mass of response we’ve received I’m looking into high lighting gaming either weekly or bi-weekly on our website and would love to give viewers an avenue to have a voice on the topic. I’ll be coming for those of you in the tri to provide some gaming cameos, and I will keep all ye board game geeks clued in to when to catch my future vlogs.

Email me if you like, either to critique, encourage, or share thoughts on other angles I could take with board gaming at beseenbeheard@kvewtv.com, or here on the site !

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri Cities
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Amy! In case Mike didn't tell you...I liked it! BTW, if you're ever interested in trying some "gateway" games tell Mike and we'll set up a time to meet! Take it easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Hi Amy,

Thank you for mentioning us on your show!

I loved the podcast (vlogcast?)

But I wish you would have actually played some games!

You definitely need to actually play some of the games to get the real feeling of it. Thebes has too many rules to start you out on - I would suggest Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride to start with.

Rules are the biggest barrier to getting the hobby out to the mainstream... once you have a few games under your belt, some of the more complex rules are easier to digest.

Anyway - thanks again for the exposure.

Best Regards,
Scott (aka Aldie)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike David
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Mike David here, I kinda got the ball rolling on this video thing of Amy's.
I work at KVEW, and was talking about boardgames and it got her attention. She came out to my place to shoot it and that's my best bud Scott Davis doing the instructing at the beginning. We picked Thebes because we weren't sure how much footage of us playing she would use but we were trying to go for games that looked visually different while being played. TV is a visual medium after all. You gotta admit that reaching in a bunch of drawstring bags and pulling out cardboard tokens that are supposed to represent "ancient artifacts" is visually quite different from Monopoly, and that is what were trying to demonstrate. We had some other games lined up to show her but she felt she had enough video to work with. Besides she was just trying to scratch the surface not go into any great depth. I have talked to Amy several times as well as our General and Sales Managers and they are very happy with the response you guys have given Amy's video and we are planing to do more stuff with Amy and myself and other local gamers.
Some of it may be a product of my Blog that KVEW has me doing;
http://chairmanboard.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh yeah! THIS was 'mentioned' at HERE already:
"WHY I LOVE AND HATE BOARDGAMEGEEK.COM" <-('click') and sorry Amy that others were so critical about that! Thanks to "Meerkat" <-('click') for bringing this to our attentions as well.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1765023#1765023

It's also discussed there.

A few people decided that they could make some rude comments. I think the video log thing was excellent, Amy tackled it in exactly the right way for many of my non-gaming friends and did an excellent job of dealing intelligently and respectfully with a hobby that is easy to mock, but harder to report on seriously.

Cheers.

Giles.

(I posted this comment in the other thread too)

Edit: GROGnads - you beat me to the punch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
laugh "GREAT 'minds' think alike!" and the GREATEST!~mine~think ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I admit I haven't made it through the whole thing yet, as the reporter's "Gee, this is all way over my head because I'm so charmingly dumb!" attitude grated on me.

Actually you should watch the whole thing. It gets a lot better, i.e. more serious at towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I enjoyed that vlog. Amy really goes out of her way to plug the boardgames. So I think there really isn't anything to complain about here. Good grief, what do you want her to say? "Boardgamers are the coolest people on earth!"??? I mean, come on, have you met gamers? I thought she put over the hobby pretty well. Maybe we should keep some people informed for the next time I hear about a 3 hour infomercial on boardgaming they must want to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
amyblynn wrote:
I’ll be coming for those of you in the tri to provide some gaming cameos, and I will keep all ye board game geeks clued in to when to catch my future vlogs.

Email me if you like, either to critique, encourage, or share thoughts on other angles I could take with board gaming at beseenbeheard@kvewtv.com, or here on the site !

Thanks!

Hi Amy,

I think you did a fine job, (Except I would have put more newer games up for a few of your backgrounds) and you know where I am if you want to do that interview on how to start a club.

Also, you know you are always welcome to come play with us. We do a table of gateway games at almost every game night. So 3-4 times a month you can come learn more.

Oh and on the 20th is our lady's only Lady Gamer Tea and
Games afternoon. It is usually well attended and has a different more chatty atmosphere than the regular game nights. Your welcome to join us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

You definitely need to actually play some of the games to get the real feeling of it. Thebes has too many rules to start you out on - I would suggest Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride to start with.

She did play Cartagena at our Pirate Night. =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Meerkat wrote:
Aldie wrote:

She did play Cartagena at our Pirate Night. =-)

Oh ok - I guess I missed that - no wonder she put up the Candyland graphic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellet reporting, especially from someone that started clueless about the hobby. I think I'd have a tough time doing as well on something like Nascar or the world of fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Excellet reporting, especially from someone that started clueless about the hobby. I think I'd have a tough time doing as well on something like Nascar or the world of fashion.

Or especially the Nascar world of fashion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.